Need to lose 100 pounds and scared

This number seems so big to me and I'm trying to conquer my fears of doing something new and unfamiliar. Does anyone else feel this way when starting a new lifestyle? I've tried SO many times to get in better shape and have ALWAYS fallen off the wagon. What makes this time different? Fear of the unknown and my lack of confidence has been controlling my life.

I'm 3 days into tracking calories and have been walking a mile everyday since Monday. Will I ever get there?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    You can only focus on a pound, or so, a week. You are not going to lose 100 pounds today, or tomorrow. You will probably lose a pound or so this week. Do so and claim a victory and prepare and repeat next week.

Take your small victories as they came and continue forward. (insert cliché of your choice here) One day at a time, Step by Step, A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, et al.

A pound a week is not a large number nor is it a difficult thing to do.

That being said, weight lose is not linear. There may be weeks when, for no apparent reason, that pound didn't come off. Not to worry, keep up with the program and it will.

Enjoy your walks and enjoy your shopping for new clothes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You are off to a great start. The big number can be overwhelming, so break it down into smaller goals. Don't think too much about the end, because every piece of progress will make you a better person. I find it helpful to have goals in multiple areas-scales, measurements, progress pics, calorie deficit, new foods, new recipes, different exercises, more steps, etc. That way when one area is slow, others are going well. It is important to set yourself up for success. It took me 14 months to lose the first 100 and more than a year to lose the last 50, and I stick to my plan religiously.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    It is a little scary if you think about it all at once. I started on here almost a month ago with 264 lbs. My ideal weight is about 155. Before this, I spent about a year becoming mindful and informed about the foods, thoughts, and exercises that I'll need in order to reach my ideal weight and be happy there.

I've found that focusing on small goals is the best thing to get over that fear of something new. For me, this means focusing on every 20 lbs lost. I've lost 18 so far and have stayed on track with my logging this week, so I'm rewarding myself by dressing up as a character at a comic-con this weekend. It's something I've always wanted to do and never had the confidence for before now. It's a little victory, but it's so worth it to me.

As for what will keep you going, I don't know. For me, my motivation is both my health and my vision of who I want to be. When I saw that I was closer to 300 than 200, I was really upset and realized that I was only going to get bigger. With my family history and my hobbies, this wasn't an option.

Now, I'm just not giving myself a choice about failing to get in shape. I refuse to even entertain the idea that I'll fail. It's a long way to go, but it will happen as long as you don't let yourself give up.
  • jls2837
    jls2837 Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you to everyone who replied to my post! I can't figure out how to respond to each individual- but I appreciate the feedback! I will use all of the approaches that were suggested. You all had very good points. I like the small goals idea too. That seems much more manageable for me.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    jls - also keep in mind its about the small changes. Drinking water, preparing meals (get to cook), weighing and not necessarily the weight :-) Its about walking from the back of the parking lot, or choosing to drive a different way so you don't pass that nasty fast food place :-) and learning about you! What you like (hiking, swimming, biking, playing with the dog) and what makes you feel great.

Also you have great support on MFP. Keep the good advice for you and ignore the bad :-)
  • jls2837
    jls - also keep in mind its about the small changes. Drinking water, preparing meals (get to cook), weighing and not necessarily the weight :-) Its about walking from the back of the parking lot, or choosing to drive a different way so you don't pass that nasty fast food place :-) and learning about you! What you like (hiking, swimming, biking, playing with the dog) and what makes you feel great.

Also you have great support on MFP. Keep the good advice for you and ignore the bad :-)

Such good points. I've always looked at eating healthy and exercising as a terrible chore with an end date. However, I know that as soon as I see little results, that will be my motivation to keep going and getting better. I've never found an exercise I truly enjoy. Probably because everything wears me out at the weight I'm at. That is something I need to work on and find out for myself.
  • bblue656
    bblue656 Posts: 159 Member
    I need to lose over 100 too, im aiming for the first 100 though. I have lost almost 50 lbs so far. And the way i got there was starting off small, 10 lbs was a goal at first, now its 20! so my next goal is 70 lbs lost. you can do it.
  • jls2837
    bblue656 wrote: »
    I need to lose over 100 too, im aiming for the first 100 though. I have lost almost 50 lbs so far. And the way i got there was starting off small, 10 lbs was a goal at first, now its 20! so my next goal is 70 lbs lost. you can do it.

So inspirational!!
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    I also have 100 lbs to lose. Every time I look at it as 100 lbs it seems so far away...however, I have set my first goal of 10 lbs for the month of October and know I can do it! I have done this so many times over and over again but once you reach the first goal you will soon be ready to set a new one!
  • patpatepat
    patpatepat Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, dear!

No number is thaaat big that you can't achieve it.
    It depends just on you :)

It's not an easy walk.. actually, not easy at all!!! hahaha But you need to convince yourself besides it's not easy, it's good for your healthy. Body and mind needs to be completely in alignment.

My advice is: be patient. Things won't appear very clearly in one, two or three weeks, but after some time you will see the changes and see how grateful has been being to care about yourself! Take your time and respect your body evolution.

I used to have 55 pounds more than today, I lost it during an year. It's a day by day challenge for me to keep my weight, sometimes my weight increases 10/11 pounds and I stop again and think: "Is it right? No, so let's control again!".

Also, try to find a way to work out that make you happy (I've discover dancing and 30 minutes gym :smiley: ). Foods that bring you pleasure and understand also that each day will be a new battle because to change is always a challenge, but it's also nice, changes makes you a new person with new goals and life perspective! And, of course, don't forget about the most cliche sentence: "no pain, no gain", it's part of the "game". hahahah

I hope you don't give up!

Good luck, girl!

kisses, Pat.
  • krissy5686
    krissy5686 Posts: 51 Member
    I agree with everyone who's mentioned setting smaller goals. That took me a while to really figure out. But it feels *so* good to hit one of my little goals - and when I step back, it really does feel like I'm a lot closer to my overall goal.

I've been on this weight loss journey before. The problem is that I'm my own worst enemy. If I fall off the wagon at ALL, I usually just give up and cry and throw in the towel. But I'm slowly learning that it's normal - and a good lesson for myself to get back up and keep going. So what if I had a cookie that I wasn't planning on? Maybe I'll just do a little extra cardio.

You can do it.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    It's not an easy walk.. actually, not easy at all!!! hahaha But you need to convince yourself besides it's not easy, it's good for your healthy. Body and mind needs to be completely in alignment.

Don't tell yourself this is going to be really hard. Remember when you were in school and the teacher would always say "If you think you are going to fail the test, you will fail the test"? Well that's true. When you think something over and over long enough, you begin to believe it, and in this case it could set you up to fail. I'm not saying it is easy, but rather than thinking how hard it would be, think instead "Yeah, I got this, I can do this". Basically don't tell yourself a negative. Tell yourself a positive.

I have about 80 lbs to lose. I joined MFP at the end of this July. I'm going to tell you, my weight hasn't moved for 2 months. That's ok because it took me those 2 months to figure out 1) my portion sizes, 2) how often I was eating, and most importantly 3) my hunger pattern! That alone was such an eye opener for me, and I just figured that out in the past 2 weeks!

You have about 100 lbs to lose. If it doesn't start dropping off on the first week, don't get frustrated. For some people it takes a bit more time, but in that time you WILL learn a lot about food, you eating patterns, portions. Just take the time to learn it all.

Good luck to you!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    I have well over 100 lbs to lose. I lost 60 lbs in 2014 and was walking 4-5 miles a day, I even did my first 5k walk. But I injured my knee training for another 5k and had to have knee scope surgery. Not THAT big of a deal - but I was really out of my walking groove for a good 6 months or more and that took the wind out of my sails. I gained the weight back.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Agreed on the making small goals to help it seem more achievable.

I've lost 92 pounds (Since January 2015) and have at least 48 more to go. It's relatively slow considering how much I had to lose, at just a pound per week, but it's happening. Sometimes even that 48 left seems like a lot, even though I'm well over halfway there. But if I break it down into little increments, it feels much better. In this case: 14 pounds until the overweight (rather than obese) mark, 15 more from there until onederland, and 19 after that to my tentative goal.

In my experience, part of what helps too is making small, sustainable changes and letting them add up over time. I started with just smaller portions of what I was already eating, slowly made healthier choices and more strict calorie goals, added in exercise, then just recently added in weight training. As you start to see the number go down, it will probably help, because then you know the changes are working. But even when that number doesn't move? Just remember how far you've come and push through it, making more changes if necessary.

Good luck!
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    jls2837 wrote: »
    This number seems so big to me and I'm trying to conquer my fears of doing something new and unfamiliar. Does anyone else feel this way when starting a new lifestyle? I've tried SO many times to get in better shape and have ALWAYS fallen off the wagon. What makes this time different? Fear of the unknown and my lack of confidence has been controlling my life.

I'm 3 days into tracking calories and have been walking a mile everyday since Monday. Will I ever get there?

I found starting out was the hardest because everything seems so immense. For me I had to keep telling myself, "It'll stop sucking if you keep at it." Got through the summer quite successfully, and now I'm on to my next challenges: cold weather food and exercises. I've found that there's a degree of masochism involved with large amounts of weight loss. I found it more effective to quit cold-turkey on some things and go a little crazy for a while, but if that won't work for you focus instead on gradually reducing bad habits. And remember, any challenge is going to suck at the start, but it *will* get better with time. :-D
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    I have a 100+ to lose (correction, now I have 90.6 lbs to lose). It happened within this month, my 2nd return to MFP. I am addressing health concerns (high blood pressure and prediabetes). I know this will be the long haul for me because I don't want to take medication. Know your why, and repeat it often. I know it seems like we are depriving ourselves of somethings but we can eat them, just not in the portions that we did before. I started off walking 20 minutes a day. I was huffing and puffing and I had not gone very far. Now, I'm doing 2 (30 minute) sessions, one at lunch and one on the way home to the train station, at a rapid pace and some stairs. Now that the weather has turned cooler, I enjoy being outside looking at everything with new eyes.

I just know each day I'm alive is one more day to make better choices, not perfect, just better. As you learn how to monitor portion control, you will learn better habits. Fall off the wagon, close the door on that day, and get back up.
    Feel free to send a friend request.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I've lost 98lbs. When I thought about that number several months ago, it was depressing. So I stopped thinking about it. I thought about every number. Every day was a goal. Every week, every month. It's still that way.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Your question at the end got me--"will I ever get there"? And when you do? Go back to what you did before? Better to look at this as a change in your life, for always. It doesn't matter when you get there, it just matters that you've started, day by day. That's why you need something very sustainable. Read some of the success stories to help you when you're down. You can do it too. Best.