A Question for Maintainers...

Options
2»

Replies

• k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When I lift weights or do an intense cardio routine I always gain afterwards. Your body holds in water to protect your muscles that you're taring up while working out. Maybe that's what's going on since weight lifting is kind of new.
    Regardless, great job on your success so far!!

Thank you so much!

Yes, I think you are right. I have been lifting pretty consistently (at least 3 days per week) since August 1st and I really haven't lost any weight since I started. I am currently fluctuating between 153.7 and 152.1 or so. I am hoping that if I can stick to my calorie goal that it will eventually level out and I will start losing again.
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never had a goal of some particular number...I went to maintenance when I was around 15% BF because I was tired of dieting and at a healthy BF% and that was ultimately my goal. I increased calories slowly and was surprised about my maintenance because I had stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories so I figured that was pretty close...basically did reverse dieting for a month or so until I was hitting about 2800 - 3000 calories per day to maintain...continued my active lifestyle, cycling, lifting, and eating well...at the same weight I'm now about 12% BF...so it's been very slow (almost 3.5 years) to maintain the same weight but drop 2% points in BF.

I got to the point where I just wanted to focus on good livin' rather than dieting...just doing the things that lean, healthy, and fit people do on the regular...the rest takes care of itself.

I absolutely love your perspective! I struggle with being a numbers person and I do admit that I can get obsessive. This entire journey has been such a learning process. The smaller I get, the easier it has become to base my success off of how I feel, rather than the number on the scale. I feel that maybe I have let the scale define my progress for too long.

However, the longer I eat better and am more active, the more second nature it is! That is why I love the quote, "It doesn't get easier, you just get better." This is my lifestyle now! It's not so foreign to me anymore. My old eating habits are what is foreign to me these days.

Thank you so much for your insightful post and taking the time to respond!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ....my starting weight was 249 lbs and I currently weigh 153.
    Well done! What an achievement.

I would say don't get hung up on one particular goal weight - it's just one part of being healthy and fit.
    Think I changed my goal weight about 5 times!

Exercise in a prolonged deficit is hard, would suggest giving yourself a break from trying to lose. You can always go back to deficit later when rested and not "busy and tired".
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    @sijomial Thank you for the compliment!

It is so easy to get hung up on one goal and not step back and look at the big picture. In my mind I feel like if I don't reach my number goal that I have failed in some way, although I have lost 95+ pounds. I do feel worlds better, but I am my own worst critic and I always feel that there is room for improvement! The same self-discipline that has got me this far has also misconstrued my way of thinking. I just changed my settings last night to only lose 0.5 pounds per week, and that put me at 1580 per day instead of the former 1330, which I was really struggling with. I am going to stick to that number for a couple of weeks and then reassess from that point.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Read the comments. Looks like you have a good head on your shoulders know what needs to be done. Good luck to you.

ETA: I am not telling you to read the comments. I am remarking that I read the comments and think you know what you are doing. When I re read it kind of sounds douchey which wasn't my intention.
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    @ryry_ Haha! No, you don't sound douchey! Thank you for the compliment! Talking through all of my thoughts and doubts has been so beneficial!
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We are very similar. I am 5/6 started at 249 July 2015 with a goal weight of 149 for a 100 pound weight loss. Monday, September 26 I FINALLY hit the goal and I say finally because the last 5 pounds were suuuuppperrr stubborn llol. Funny I saw your post because I am terrified of maintenance...scared I either know how to gain or lose...saw your post and contemplated should my goal be 145???? Do I need a range? Anyway, I digress.

For me I didn't change anything to shake the last five. I stuck to what I was doing which was staying within my calories-period. I knew that one day it would come off if that is what was meant to happen-as I do believe our bodies have a certain comfort spot when it comes to weight anyway...send me a friend request! :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and it took me less time to lose the first 35 than the last 5. But I kept plugging and it came off.

I have maintained almost 5 years. However, I gained back 5 pounds last year. Again, it took me a long time to lose that last 5 pounds. I'm close to my body's ideal weight and my body is holding onto calories dearly.
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    We are very similar. I am 5/6 started at 249 July 2015 with a goal weight of 149 for a 100 pound weight loss. Monday, September 26 I FINALLY hit the goal and I say finally because the last 5 pounds were suuuuppperrr stubborn llol. Funny I saw your post because I am terrified of maintenance...scared I either know how to gain or lose...saw your post and contemplated should my goal be 145???? Do I need a range? Anyway, I digress.

For me I didn't change anything to shake the last five. I stuck to what I was doing which was staying within my calories-period. I knew that one day it would come off if that is what was meant to happen-as I do believe our bodies have a certain comfort spot when it comes to weight anyway...send me a friend request! :)

Friend request sent!!
    Wow, we are very similar! I have finally broke away from 153 and I am now down to 149! My goal is still to fluctuate around 145 but I will reevaluate when I get there! I agree on the comfort spot. If I continue to lose weight after 145 I may just let that happen!

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @sijomial Thank you for the compliment!

It is so easy to get hung up on one goal and not step back and look at the big picture. In my mind I feel like if I don't reach my number goal that I have failed in some way, although I have lost 95+ pounds. I do feel worlds better, but I am my own worst critic and I always feel that there is room for improvement! The same self-discipline that has got me this far has also misconstrued my way of thinking. I just changed my settings last night to only lose 0.5 pounds per week, and that put me at 1580 per day instead of the former 1330, which I was really struggling with. I am going to stick to that number for a couple of weeks and then reassess from that point.

Yes, please be careful not to lose sight of the big picture. I read someone's post on this site a while back that said don't cut all 3 tires just because one tire is ruined. I try to apply that daily. So, I refuse to sabotage myself completely just because I may have gotten a little lax or have gained a pound. I try to remind myself of the 84 pound weight loss instead. What's so crazy for me was I lost more than I expected. Maintenance is what seems more of a challenge at times because my body seems to want to hang on to a pound or two for weeks whenever I indulge. I'm a bit underweight now. So I attribute it to that. Who knows! Good luck on your journey and you look beautiful! :)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I moved to a half pound per week and just settled in. I agree that the food scale is necessary at this point. Just remember that you already look awesome and if you stick with the plan, the results will come. It's all about patience. And you can use this time to slowly transition to maintenance.
  • matt_vagner
    matt_vagner Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    you got it