Spiralizer!

Options
Hi All MFP Warriors,

Throwing it out there that I'm thinking of getting a spiralizer so when I cook for the family I don't miss out on family spaghetti night.

Anyone have one? Would you recommend? Any favorite recipes?

I'm mainly carb cutting, and just generally trying to eat more veggies, but cooking for a family makes things tricky.

Thanks for any tips! :D

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it pretty often. I do, however, tend to eat more spaghetti squash than anything spiralized. This site has some great recipes http://inspiralized.com/blog/
  • jesshpa
    jesshpa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with mine. I use it almost exclusively for zucchini. I love that I can eat a huge heaping serving of zoodles for hardly any calories, it tricks me into thinking I'm having a hearty meal.
  • s3rend1p1ty
    s3rend1p1ty Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I want one too. I am so curious about if they are worth the investment!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use mine at least once a week (if not more) for zucchini noodles. I have the hand held "as seen on tv" version that was $10 and don't really think you need the fancy one unless you plan on spiralizing a lot at once and/or more than just zucchini. Shrimp scampi is my fav to have with zoodles but also do it with a sautéed ground turkey and tomatoes...or just as a side on it's own sautéed with garlic, EVOO and spices. yum!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I bought the Padermo World Cuisine brand tabletop version from Amazon for about $25 and use it quite frequently. Don't waste your time on the handheld kind. Although it is much cheaper, it is harder to use. It comes with 3 blades - a ribbon style and 2 different thickness for spaghetti-like noodles. I believe Padermo World Cuisine has a 4th blade (for angel-hair style), but I didn't buy that. I have used mine for zucchini, sweet potatoes and beets. I too have been making spaghetti squash, which I enjoy immensely. What I like about the "spiralizer" is that it is so quick to use. Just wash your veggies and start spiralizing them. Then cook by steaming or sautéing the veggies in a little olive oil, for just a few minutes. They can be ready to eat in under 10 minutes. Spaghetti squash takes a bit longer to cook.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have one, it's worth it. Zoodles are relatively neutral in taste and take sauce well but they are undeniably vegetable matter which may keep it out of the list of family favorites, no one is going to confuse these for a plate of spaghetti other than by looks and only if you need reading glasses. For me the lack of "pasta-like" taste is counterbalanced by far fewer calories and better nutrition. I don't boil them, I just sauté in a very small amount of olive oil after rolling them in some paper towels with a little salt for about 20 minutes, keeps them more al-dente like and less watery. Can't stand making spaghetti squash. Are they worth the investment? At $15 on amazon, sure, and you can use them for other things besides zucchini noodles. Look for one that has a hand guard you can spike the end of the vegetable with so you aren't making Hoodles with red sauce.
  • Lanie2012
    Lanie2012 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm looking forward to zoodling, lol
  • iheartchocolate2016
    Options
    I got a cheap hand held one and they're good. You eat way more healthier foods that include veges through this way, although i wouldn't say it's an exact swap for noodles but it is a tasty vege alternative so it works for sure. I use it for courgette, yam/sweet potato. Enjoy.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    We did zoodles with cream sauce and salmon last night for dinner and it was fabulous! Even better, it was a one pot meal, less dishes to clean!
  • rebelinont
    rebelinont Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought the Starfrit one - for less than $20 and use it at least twice a week - same thing most of the time - zucchini , zapped in the microwave for a minute or less to get warm and topped with whatever the family is eating - broken up burger patty with pickles and onion....spaghetti sauce with meat....I even like scrambled eggs and onion on top of them! I bought garlic infused olive oil that I've used with just a little salt and pepper. I don't miss "real" noodles at all!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I got mine about 2 weeks ago and have used it every day. I've only tried zucchini zoodles but make them with a poached egg for breakfast, small dash of salad dressing with lunch and with meat sauce, scampi, Caprese, pesto and more. Even a pile of zoodles with a lean cuisine on top makes it a meal. You'll love it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a dash of EVOO, sprinkle of Parmesan, salt and pepper and siracha is the bomb!
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just got one a few weeks ago and I love it!! So easy to use! I've just done zucchini so far and it tastes amazing and without all of the carbs and calories!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I have one and use it pretty often. I do, however, tend to eat more spaghetti squash than anything spiralized. This site has some great recipes http://inspiralized.com/blog/

Seriously. The best website ever, and her cookbook is great!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @crazyravr but I got a signed copy as a wedding present :)