Stay At Home Moms

Options
I am a new mother to a wonderful baby boy.
My question is how do you stop yourself from eating out of boredom?

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You have time to be bored??! I've never experienced this with any of my 3!
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wait until he starts walking!! You will not be bored then, You will actually get quite a workout chasing him around. But until then you could put him in the stroller and takes walks :)
  • VanessaMay1
    Options
    You have time to be bored??! I've never experienced this with any of my 3!

He is 6 weeks old, he sleeps most of the day.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    Don't get bored! I always have something to clean, read, Google... or always plan trips out of the house. When my youngest (18 months) was a baby...I ALWAYS took her out shopping or strolling depending on weather which completely helps make shopping experiences much easier as they get older. Just develop a healthy active routine and don't allow yourself to mentally get bored. Puzzle books. Computer games. Video games. Whatever it is that keeps you busy, do it! G'luck... all else fails, keep celery on hand. After awhile, the threat of having to eat celery keeps you away from wanting to eat. LOL
  • marathonmommy0205
    Options
    I'm noy sure what that fels like... I have a 20 month and a 6 1/2 month I barely have time to shower! You should go for walks or maybe clean.
  • VanessaMay1
    Options
    Wait until he starts walking!! You will not be bored then, You will actually get quite a workout chasing him around. But until then you could put him in the stroller and takes walks :)

I cant wait til then, we go on daily walks already.
    (:
  • VanessaMay1
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I stay at home, but have 3 little boys ages 4 2 1 . I look forward to bed time LOL.

For the time being to address your question I would:

Make sure I have fresh cut up veggies and a low cal dip for snacking

If its not to hot outside walk with the baby a few miles a day

Dress him/her up in cute clothes and take pics :)

I know newborns can be "boring" but I didn't really have any down time

Maybe you could find new hobby...scrap booking, knitting something lke that to keep you busy :) Congrats!!
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! It's amazing that you have time to be bored! My son slept well from the get go and every spare second I had I was cleaning, doing laundry and cooking! But everyone is different with how they handle their schedules. :) Seriously--drink lots of water! :) Welcome to the wonderful life of Motherhood! :) It's a beautiful life!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have three kids and this past school year they were all in school full time as my littlest went to first grade. During the winter, it sure was tempting to just snack while at the computer wasting time. :sick: The best thing I can say is to keep the junk food out of the house! Otherwise it's just too tempting. And maybe find a dvd to do while the baby sleeps or chew lots of gum when you get the munchies.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Pick up some hobbies. I took to painting, blogging, and scrapbooking. If you have a car, you could also try to look for some mommy's groups in your city. (not an option for me, since my husband has the car during the day).
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    Drink tons of water. If you have to have something. That's what I did when I quit smoking and felt like I needed to have something with me.

For me when my kids were babies, that was the easy part. Its when they are always eating snacks is when it got harder for me. :D
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Join a mom's group! Get yourself out of the house every day for walks, social time, mommy and me, whatever. Check with your hospital to see if the have a Maternal Child wellness program. They may sponsor a Baby and Me type class where you can meet other moms, participate in parenting discussions, find support, and even make new friends.

I met my BEST friend at a Baby and Me class. Our girls are the same age. We were both prego the second time with boys (who are 5 weeks apart). Our husbands are best friends. Join up and get out!

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    mine have all grown up ,my advice is for you to do whatever you feel like doing for you ,,bath ,,gardening ,,housework ,,reading ,, computer stuff ,, spring clean ,, meet your friends ,,nice quiet walks ,,painting ,,organising ,,re-arranging ,, day time naps ,, a good movie ,,whatever you fancy it wont be too long before you will not have any time free & if you have another then thats it ,free time gone lol just enjoy being a new mum ,the best thing ever & to be treasured ,,it passes all too quickly ,have fun & congratulations
  • sistertransister
    sistertransister Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i can def relate! i am a stay at home mother of 3---one of which is a newborn. for me i wouldn't say i was bored--because my house is busy! but i def use food for comfort and company on stressful, tired days. and it is hard to get motivated to be physically active when you are sleep deprived with a new baby. a few things have helped me...
    ...i went from eating three square meals a day to three mini meals and 3 snacks. i spread those throughout the day on a schedule that i try to stick to. that keeps me from being hungry--so when i am tempted to snack and eat--i am only dealing with the emotional connection to the food--not hunger.
    ....keeping a running list of things i need or want to do. may times i want to snack when everyone is finally down for nap. when i feel that urge--i just redirect my idle energy to my list--grab a glass of water and pick something i can work on to cross off my list. this gives me the double gratification of making a healthy choice and gettign something done...which can be hard to accomplish with a new baby!
    congrats on your new baby boy--and good luck! :)