the best breakfast to start the day?

Options

Replies

• bode1all
    bode1all Posts: 28
    Options
    depending on how much time I have in the morning will vary what I eat. When I have time I like to have egg beaters with cheese and ham or sometimes will use light bread and make an egg sandwich with it. you can cook the egg beaters in the mircrowave too! I work in an office so i have to use what ive got. Another fast and easy breakfast option are Vita tops. I typically buy mine from Target in the freezer section by the eggos and other frozen breakfast items. They are only 100 calories but have 8 or 9 grams of Fiber and Protein in them so they keep you fuller much longer than you would think for only being 100 cals. My favorite flavor is the double chocolate.
  • darlingdynamo
    Options
    Have you ever tried not eating breakfast foods? Lots of the time I just don't want an egg or wheat toast or whatever.

I love peanut butter and banana sandwich. Tasty. Or your healthy leftovers. That's good business.

Eating nutritious regular food for breakfast is better than not eating breakfast at all.
  • Wanda66
    Wanda66 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal/steel cut oats made overnight in a crock pot. Then, add cocoa, peanut butter and jam or a banana and a splash of milk.
  • terri0804
    terri0804 Posts: 20
    Options
    i'm not much of a breakfast eater but will have 4oz fruit parfait yogurt with low calorie grain toast with pb
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and almond milk with vanilla stevia, eggwhites on a 1/2 english muffin, greek yogurt and fruit salad, even a bowl cereal with almond milk.

anything is better than no breakfast.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I always used to skip breakfast. Then I got the Total Lean shakes from GNC and I have that for breakfast. It gets me going for the day
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast slows down fat oxidation. That entire deal of "Breakfast is the most improtant meal of the day" was strated by breakfast companies. Here are the studies to support my claim.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10967612

Every body builder I know and am training with agree that breakfast starts your day out, your metabolism and your brain working. It is a balanced and healthy breakfast that you need, not sugery cereals, I agree. I would be careful telling people to not eat breakfast though.

In the day of arnold they didn't eat breakfast too much. IF you don't eat breakfast your brain won't work? Your body will get energy from fat, that's the entire point. When you eat you inhbit your fat burning abilities. Of course we need to eat our calories. Look at things from a insulin perspective.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Every M-F morning: 1 egg white, 1 piece of fruit (either banana;pear;or apple) whole wheat English Muffin; 14 oz of low sodium spicy hot V8 (TONS of potassium) and 2 tsp of tabasco sauce (1 for the eggs and 1 for the V8)

Weekends: The above but instead of the muffin I make fried potatoes with onions and a T of vegetable oil.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast slows down fat oxidation. That entire deal of "Breakfast is the most improtant meal of the day" was strated by breakfast companies. Here are the studies to support my claim.

A two week (thereby short for 'study' standards ... maybe why they are calling this an 'experiment' rather than a 'study'?) involving only 10 "free-living healthy young men" is not much to go by. This study also does not define what they are using as "high-energy" vs. "low-energy" as it only says that while protein and lipids were the same for eat type of breakfast and the macronutrient comp of the rest of their daily diets were the same, the carbs were upped for the high-energy breakfast by 6% over that of the 'low-energy' diet. It makes no reference to whether they were complex or simple carbs which are processed by the body differently. Of course a higher glycaemic response would be observed after the "high-energy" breakfast period, they upped the carbs for that breakfast, which turns to into sugars.

If anything, the only thing I would take away from this 'experiment' is the suggestion that increased carbs of any kind is not "necessary" at breakfast - not that breakfast, in general should be avoided.
  • BonLou76
    BonLou76 Posts: 36
    Options
    bumping
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    All of these are great ideas, except the one who said it was okay to skip breakfast. You want a nice level blood sugar through the day, so don't go heavy on the sugar with a poptart, donut, or sugary cereal--that's almost as bad as skipping breakfast. Get some fruit, some protein, some healthy grain each day, but you can mix it up. OJ, eggs, and a slice of whole wheat toast one day, a high-fiber oatmeal or cereal with blueberries and walnuts the next, peanut butter and bananas on a sliced bagel the third day.
  • batyab66
    batyab66 Posts: 1
    Options
    a cup of 0% plain yogurt with a serving size (50 berries) of blueberries and a 1/2 cup of compliments very high fibre bran cereal
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    I like to eat a fat free greek Chobani yogurt (lots of flavors available) and 1/2 of a bottle of muscle milk. It gives you some quality protein, quality carbs and fills you up. Give it a try, you'll like it, I promise.
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A quick breakfast that fills me up is eggs in a mug. Scramble a couple of eggs in a mug, and microwave for 60-90 seconds (depending on your microwave), and voila! Instant eggs, no mess! And it's portable, so you can eat it on the go. You can add some cheese, spinach, onion, mushroom... whatever extras you like in your omlet goes right into the mug too! I like to spread mine on an english muffin if I'm feeling really hungry.

A couple of things tips I've learned though, get the mug into water soon after you use it or you'll have some scrapping to do before it goes in the dishwasher. Prepping the mug with cooking spray helps too.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Here's a few examples of what I have for breakfast:

2 scrambled eggs w/ wheat toast (can you say EGG sandwich?) :)

Oatmeal w/ almond butter & banana

Bagel Thin w/ Laughing Cow cheese & banana

Smoothie w/ greek yogurt, fruit, milk...sometimes I'll make a smoothie w/ raw oatmeal which really keeps me full.

I'm also known to have the occasional piece of pizza and a banana for breakfast too. LOL
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    Porridge, definitely. And to save it getting boring, I try one or two of these recipes every week:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/oatmeal-recipes/

I know it sounds silly to use a recipe but some of the flavour combinations are amazing!

This week I'm just stirring through a tablespoon of jam - delicious, sweet, berry-flavoured porridge is hard to beat.
  • portexploit
    Options

A two week (thereby short for 'study' standards ... maybe why they are calling this an 'experiment' rather than a 'study'?) involving only 10 "free-living healthy young men" is not much to go by. This study also does not define what they are using as "high-energy" vs. "low-energy" as it only says that while protein and lipids were the same for eat type of breakfast and the macronutrient comp of the rest of their daily diets were the same, the carbs were upped for the high-energy breakfast by 6% over that of the 'low-energy' diet. It makes no reference to whether they were complex or simple carbs which are processed by the body differently. Of course a higher glycaemic response would be observed after the "high-energy" breakfast period, they upped the carbs for that breakfast, which turns to into sugars.

If anything, the only thing I would take away from this 'experiment' is the suggestion that increased carbs of any kind is not "necessary" at breakfast - not that breakfast, in general should be avoided.

As you said it yourself “Of course a higher glycaemic response would be observed after the "high-energy" breakfast period, they upped the carbs for that breakfast, which turns to into sugars.”
    What does sugar do? Increases insulin. What does eating do? Increase insulin which inhibits fat oxidation. I never said breakfast is bad. It's a personal preference. I stated my reasons why I don't do it. there are many people who lost weight
    eating breakfast. There are different diet methods, the point of eating "multiple times a day" is to prevent cravings which can lead to binding. Some people say they get dizzy if they don't eat breakfast. It's not necessary to elminate breakfast for weight loss at all. I do believe not eating it will create greater weight loss results.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I was eating just a piece of fruit/ piece of toast for breakfast, but realized that I didn't have enough energy to get through my morning workout (insanity is tough.)

Today I made the best breakfast I've had in a long time, and I am literally bouncing off the walls lol!

1/4 cup steel cut oats ( I am on a minimal to no processed food diet)
    1 gala apple (diced)
    1 tsp ground flaxseed
    1 tsp cinnamon

Cook the oats, add the apple, cinnamon, and flax and WALA! Low cal, no added sugar, and DELICIOUS! I couldn't believe how tasty it was without adding sugar/milk/butter. Try it out! Plus all the fiber makes you feel full and I have a lot of energy.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I always wake up late and never have time for breakfast at home. So I keep packages of oatmeal in my desk at work and I mix fruit in with it. Try to get at least 300 calories in for your breakfast
  • portexploit
    Options
    All of these are great ideas, except the one who said it was okay to skip breakfast. You want a nice level blood sugar through the day, so don't go heavy on the sugar with a poptart, donut, or sugary cereal--that's almost as bad as skipping breakfast. Get some fruit, some protein, some healthy grain each day, but you can mix it up. OJ, eggs, and a slice of whole wheat toast one day, a high-fiber oatmeal or cereal with blueberries and walnuts the next, peanut butter and bananas on a sliced bagel the third day.

As I have stated before eating increases insulin which will inhibit fat burning. Steady levels of blood glucose isn’t created by eating multiple times a day. Each time you eat it will go up, if you eat 6 times a day this will be 6 spikes of insulin per day, this isn’t “stability.”