Coconut Oil Coffee

Options
I've heard that 1-2 tsps of coconut oil in your coffee is suppose to be healthy i.e. energy boosting, helps with weight loss and digestion too? Anyone know how this is so? Does it depend on how coffee is made? Type of coffee? Type of coconut oil etc?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    There is nothing special about it. Generally, people who eat a keto or low-carb diet drink coffee this way because it helps them up their fats and fills them up.

I personally don't find it beneficial for the way that I eat, and I also think it's gross.

But to each his own. Try it and see if you like it. Just remember to measure the amount of oil that you use and log it, because it has a significant number of calories and can put you over a deficit if you're not monitoring your intake, which will cause weight gain over time.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't put oil in my coffee (except for the actual oil from the coffee that gets pressed through the aeropress, I bought a metal filter so that wouldn't get mopped up). Wouldn't put butter either.

Coconut milk in sweetened very strong iced coffee is the bomb though, so good.

We do buy and use coconut oil, both for cooking and body care, I like it a lot. Not in coffee.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're not going over calories, it doesn't really matter...but I don't see how adding calories to your coffee is really helping with weight loss...

No...it's not magic...it's a bunch of hyped up nonsense...

That said, coconut oil is delicious...I cook with it regularly...but I see little point in putting it in my coffee...it's not going to benefit you in anyway...I'd rather have traditional cream if I was going to do anything.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Phil1632 wrote: »
    I've heard that 1-2 tsps of coconut oil in your coffee is suppose to be healthy i.e. energy boosting, helps with weight loss and digestion too? Anyone know how this is so? Does it depend on how coffee is made? Type of coffee? Type of coconut oil etc?

Putting a tablespoon of fat into something that was low fat before isn't going to help with weight loss. Unless you account for those extra calories, it will have quite the opposite effect.

If you enjoy your coffee this way go for it (each to their own) but don't think that there are any enhanced weight loss properties - there aren't. With respect to "Energy Boosting" - You're taking on-board extra calories and caffeine so, yep you're getting an energy boost but no more than a cup of coffee straight and an equivalent number of calories in any other form (for example a handful of nuts or some fruit).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer coffee black. Adding a bunch of calories from coconut oil would not only rob me of my enjoyment from my lovely black coffee (and sounds horrible), but would take away calories I could otherwise eat at some other time. And from experience oil does nothing for me in terms of satiety.

So I don't see how it would be good for weight loss.

If you don't want to eat in the morning but need calories, maybe it's an option, but it's not a hugely nutritious source of calories at all. I think oil is best to use for taste and satisfaction (and I choose oils I consider healthful, like olive, and think coconut can be a decent choice), but I personally think that using it as a major source of calories isn't that different than adding in lots of calories from other not particularly nutrient dense foods.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're not going over calories, it doesn't really matter...but I don't see how adding calories to your coffee is really helping with weight loss...

What's often said is that by adding it to your coffee, it keeps you full and cuts other cravings so you end up consuming fewer calories over the course of the day. I think this varies by person though.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The coconut/butter coffee is used with a ketogenic diet. There is research behind it, as well as many people who agree with the claims. Yes, it is a specific kind of oil. It is MCT oil. The purpose of the oil is to produce more ketones in your body which help your body stay in ketosis. Benefits of ketosis? I go from 7pm to 12:30pm without being hungry or eating (besides my MCT oil tea). On the weekends I almost forget to eat real food....I've gone from 7pm to 3pm without food before and I completed a two hour endurance training session during that time period. Personally, I do cyclical ketosis with carb refeeds to fuel my training. But that is like a whole ton of explanations. I've done tons of research and listen to experts in the field of nutrition and fitness via podcasts. If you are really interested in trying this type of coffee - look up Dave Aspry at Bulletproof.

Main point - If you aren't doing a ketogenic diet I doubt you will see any benefits.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Tastes good but is more calories than I like to use for coffee and I haven't experienced any benefits from it (doesn't fill me up, give me energy, etc)
  • Phil1632
    Phil1632 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I have tried coconut oil in my coffee before not realising the amount of calories (which I don't need any extra of) and I found it tasted nice and was easier on my system but I got heartburn. I measured the amount of skimmed milk I use in a mug of coffee and it's about 15 tablespoons! I just thought the coconut oil would have been a healthier option but I'm gathering that it's not. I'd imagine coconut oil in your coffee is probably good for your gut too. Thanks anyway.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    The coconut/butter coffee is used with a ketogenic diet. There is research behind it, as well as many people who agree with the claims. Yes, it is a specific kind of oil. It is MCT oil. The purpose of the oil is to produce more ketones in your body which help your body stay in ketosis. Benefits of ketosis? I go from 7pm to 12:30pm without being hungry or eating (besides my MCT oil tea). On the weekends I almost forget to eat real food....I've gone from 7pm to 3pm without food before and I completed a two hour endurance training session during that time period. Personally, I do cyclical ketosis with carb refeeds to fuel my training. But that is like a whole ton of explanations. I've done tons of research and listen to experts in the field of nutrition and fitness via podcasts. If you are really interested in trying this type of coffee - look up Dave Aspry at Bulletproof.

Main point - If you aren't doing a ketogenic diet I doubt you will see any benefits.

I don't do keto and only eat between 1 pm and 4 pm every day no problems. Lots of non keto IFers
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

great post!! I learnt something. Thanks. Is this the kind of stuff that Mark Sisson goes on about in his Primal Endurance books/podcasts (Must admit I've not looked into it because i don't take part in any endurance sports)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Never really liked coconut oil in my coffee. I do now and then like to put butter in my coffee or tea. Most of the time it's just half and half or whole milk...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Phil1632 wrote: »

I tried this last winter and saw no benefit.

That's me though. I support people like @nvmomketo who do find it beneficial.
  • sortabeth
    sortabeth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So I've actually been experimenting with coconut oil (no butter) in my coffee all week. I log the calories of course... 1 tablespoon to 16 oz of coffee. I don't know anything about health effects, but I have been astonished to find that it basically suppresses my appetite until about noon. I mean, not just that I don't get hungry, but that I'm not even interested in eating. Which leaves me more calories for lunch and dinner later basically. I just can't believe what an effective appetite suppressant this is for me.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This sounds just odd to me. I like coffee black and little blobs of coconut (or any other) oil is just something I suppose I won't understand. Now, coconut oil in baked goods or stir fries where the flavor really zings is another matter..

And I don't understand how adding calories can help with weight loss, but if it works for others, who am I to judge!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This sounds just odd to me. I like coffee black and little blobs of coconut (or any other) oil is just something I suppose I won't understand. Now, coconut oil in baked goods or stir fries where the flavor really zings is another matter..

And I don't understand how adding calories can help with weight loss, but if it works for others, who am I to judge!

Adding calories won't help. Coconut oil in coffee is just another "food". You need to choose where you get your calories from. Some of us choose BPC.
  • Silverlom
    Silverlom Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I don't do keto and only eat between 1 pm and 4 pm every day no problems. Lots of non keto IFers

i think he means from 7pm in the evening to 3pm the next day 20 hours not 3,, i am also on keto and i have to remind myself to eat and to get enough fat. i make fat candy called fat bombs to get my fat up.. so far i have lost 80 lbs.. i wish i knew of this many years ago i will never go back on grains and sugar again