Treadmill Workouts - Intervals vs Running

Options
I work out pretty regularly (4-5 times per week). My routine consists of strength training, bootcamp classes, boxing and doing cardio on the treadmill. I was wondering what is better for weight loss on the treadmill - intervals or straight running?

My general treadmill routine is 2 1/2 minutes walking at 3.5 mph, 2 1/2 minutes jog at 6.0, 1 minute sprint at 7.5 (all on a 1.0 incline). I do this for 30 or 35 minutes. Should I just do 30 minutes at 6.0?

Let me know your thoughts on what is better for dropping weight. Thanks!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You are better off doing a variety of workouts--longer endurance, HIIT, and tempo training. The more you can improve your aerobic fitness level, the harder you can work at any given HR intensity and the more calories you will burn.
  • rkennedy1014
    rkennedy1014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! So I'm familiar with HIIT (which I think is essentially what I'm doing, right?). But what is tempo training? Also you mention longer endurance...that makes me think straight running. Help! I'm confused :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Heed Azdak. A variety of exertion keeps your body guessing, which is good.
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty regularly (4-5 times per week). My routine consists of strength training, bootcamp classes, boxing and doing cardio on the treadmill. I was wondering what is better for weight loss on the treadmill - intervals or straight running?

My general treadmill routine is 2 1/2 minutes walking at 3.5 mph, 2 1/2 minutes jog at 6.0, 1 minute sprint at 7.5 (all on a 1.0 incline). I do this for 30 or 35 minutes. Should I just do 30 minutes at 6.0?

I feel cardio is entirely up to preference. The intervals you set look fine, but what really matters is your calories burnt - try to aim for 2-2.5 cals/lb body weight.

Another issue that isn't addressed so often is that too intensive cardio sessions hinder your muscle recovery (I also strength train). I am very sore after my weight sessions so I rather just do light cardio and still burn the same calories while not increasing my appetite
  • KristinHR01
    KristinHR01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I go to Orange Theory Fitness, which is a HIIT workout involving treadmill, weights and rowing. During a typical 55 minute session I burn average 550 calories. 25 minutes of this is treadmill work and the rest weights and rowing. We use a heart rate monitor. I use this same heart rate monitor with the Orange Theory ap when I go running on the beach. I usually burn about 400 calories when I run straight for 40 minutes. So, I'd say it evens out the straight running vs the interval training and some weights.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    sskly48 wrote: »

I feel cardio is entirely up to preference. The intervals you set look fine, but what really matters is your calories burnt - try to aim for 2-2.5 cals/lb body weight.

Another issue that isn't addressed so often is that too intensive cardio sessions hinder your muscle recovery (I also strength train). I am very sore after my weight sessions so I rather just do light cardio and still burn the same calories while not increasing my appetite

A good point, further to that, if you are lifting and trying to build endurance your body preferences endurance training over strength training. Cardio right after weight training will flush the muscles and reduce hypertrophy somewhat. For me, it's an issue since I'm training for both powerlifting and Spartans so they do tend to interfere with each other.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    You are better off doing a variety of workouts--longer endurance, HIIT, and tempo training. The more you can improve your aerobic fitness level, the harder you can work at any given HR intensity and the more calories you will burn.

+1 Always great to see your posts Azdak!
  • rkennedy1014
    rkennedy1014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go to Orange Theory Fitness, which is a HIIT workout involving treadmill, weights and rowing. During a typical 55 minute session I burn average 550 calories. 25 minutes of this is treadmill work and the rest weights and rowing. We use a heart rate monitor. I use this same heart rate monitor with the Orange Theory ap when I go running on the beach. I usually burn about 400 calories when I run straight for 40 minutes. So, I'd say it evens out the straight running vs the interval training and some weights.

I LOVVVEEEEE Orange Theory. I used to go alot to that too, which is actually what made me start these interval workouts on my own. I am obsessed with using the OTF app on all my workouts now, but I never know if I would get better results if I started running more consistently. Thanks for your feedback.
  • KristinHR01
    KristinHR01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are more concerned about burning calories I would stay strictly running is your way to go. However, if you want to gain muscle and look toned you have to do some weight training.

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Totally agree. And I'll add - if you're doing treadmill workouts, tempo/interval runs will just be more fun.
    Thanks for the reply! So I'm familiar with HIIT (which I think is essentially what I'm doing, right?). But what is tempo training? Also you mention longer endurance...that makes me think straight running. Help! I'm confused :)

Someone may have a different definition, but to me - tempo training is a little different from typical intervals, in that you'll do the first part of your workout at an your sort of standard pace, then do a significant chunk at a difficult, but sustainable pace, then recover at an easy pace. I would usually do this just once, so that might mean a mile at a comfortable pace, a mile or a mile and a half at a difficult pace (not a sprint, but fast), and a mile at recovery pace.

Intervals are multiple, shorter bursts, maybe even a near-sprint, with a recovery lap (either walking or jogging) in between. Pretty much what you're doing now.

Calorie-wise, I don't know which burns more - I'd guess the tempo or interval workouts would be similar, and either would burn more than a slow, sustained run of the same distance. But there's definitely a good place for the slower, steady run in your workout rotation. If for nothing else, that sort of cardio is excellent for recovery if your muscles are sore the day after kickboxing, for example (because that's my favorite day-after-kickboxing workout).
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Typically, a runner wouldn't do speed training more than once or twice a week. 80% of runs are at an easy pace and 20% are fast. (An easy pace differs by individual...could be a 7 minute mile for some a 12 minute mile for others. However, this should be a pace where you can carry on a conversation.) Intervals, tempo runs, and hill workouts are examples of speed workouts. If you are running 3x per week, I would consider adding intervals or tempo runs no more than once per week. You can alternate doing intervals one week, tempo the next. Intervals should have a warm up period, then a defined interval where you run fast for a defined period of time or distance and run or walk at an easy pace for a defined period of time or distance. There should also be a cool down afterwards.

Here is a link that will explain tempo runs: https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/training-with-thresholds-in-the-right-zone/

Another thing I would suggest is consider going from the treadmill to outside. Running outside has such a better feel (especially for speed work) and you'll be giving your hamstrings and glutes a good workout too because you are actually propelling yourself forward instead of trying not to be thrown from the treadmill. If you do take it outside, pay attention to proper form. There's a lot of info on the web, but here's an article about it: http://www.runnersworld.com/run-faster/proper-running-form I often hear that people don't like to run outside because of their knees, but with proper form, your knees shouldn't hurt. I have early arthritis in my knee (not from running...other sports), but now that I use the right running form, my knees do not hurt running on pavement.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what is better for weight loss on the treadmill - intervals or straight running?

This is a fairly common question, and essentially boils down to whether intervals or continuous pace burn more calories. What I would say is that weight loss isn't about how you run, it's about how you balance your calorie intake against your calorie expenditure and to lose weight you need to eat less than you burn, putting you in a calorie deficit.

That said, calorie expenditure from running is a function of the distance you run and your bodyweight. The pace you run doesn't have a great bearing on things. With that in mind it's a question of running as far as you can in the time available.

Cals per mile = 0.6*bodyweight in lbs

With that in mind I rather agree with Azdak inasmuch as different types of session have different physiological benefits, and in time those help you run longer an faster, which increases the overall distance. What I would say is that more advanced sessions build on a solid aerobic base, which would suggest a focus on steady paced running for the moment.

Appreciating that a treadmill can be a very dull experience, and breaking it up using intervals can help maintain interest, I personally would focus on getting to the stage that you can run at a 10 minute mile pace for 30 minutes. That means that you're running for 3 miles so burning 3*0.6*bodyweight (lbs).

What I'd veer towards is concentrating on being able to run at 6mph (10 min/mile) continuously for 30 minutes. Once you're there then increase that to 60 minutes at the same pace. Once you're at that point three times per week you'll have an adequate aerobic base to benefit from tempo sessions and higher intensity work. As BeerRunner highlights most runners do about 80% of their training at a comfortably steady pace. Personally I'll do 2-3 easy paced sessions of 60-90 minutes at around 7-8 mph per week, one long run of 2-4 hours at 6mph and one tempo or intervals session of 45-60 minutes. I'll do all of those outside, rarely on the treadmill.

For clarity, a tempo session for me would be warming up for 10 minutes or so at 6mph, then running at perhaps 8-8.5mph for 30 minutes before cooling down at 6mph for a further 10 minutes. A tempo session helps to build tolerance to running faster for longer. So it's very much a race training technique.

For an intervals session I'll do a similar 10 minute warm up then do 6-8 100metre sprints at maximal effort with perhaps a 2 minute cool down at my easy pace between them. After I complete all of the sprints I'll cool down for 10-15 minutes at easy pace again. These sessions are reserved for race training as they can be quite debilitating.