Wellbutrin

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    Many doctors don't know this, but Wellbutrin can increase anxiety and cause sleep difficulty, both which indirectly can cause poor eating choices/over eating. I took Wellbutrin for a long time to quit smoking and it worked.

That was one reason I was worried about taking it. Luckily I haven't noticed a difference, but my doctor did warn me and told me that if I noticed it, I needed to let them know immediately so we could work on finding something else.

Isn't it funny that most countries other than the US (and Canada, I think?) don't even categorize it as an anti-depressant? I think most use it for smoking cessation.
  • gwen1180
    gwen1180 Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My doctor said take 1 100mg for the first three days then start taking the 2 100mg a day, is there a reason for this , today is day three but I don't feel anything , maybe after a week it will be in my system?
  • gwen1180
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Following because I have a feeling the doctor is going to put me on something once my blood/hormone tests come back.
    Since weight and self perception is a big part of my "mood", I refuse to take something that will cause me to gain weight.

When did u have your tests?
  • MrsWW57
    MrsWW57 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin left me feeling jittery and anxious. But I have friends who have had great success with it.

This is the problem I had when I was put on it for weight loss. I totally hated it. I also had a real hard time on focusing on things and I could not handle that. I was really afraid I would screw something up really bad at work.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    gwen1180 wrote: »
    My doctor said take 1 100mg for the first three days then start taking the 2 100mg a day, is there a reason for this , today is day three but I don't feel anything , maybe after a week it will be in my system?

It can take up to a month for most anti-depressants to get in your system and for you to feel an effect.
  • mamacita99
    mamacita99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it (300 mg)for years. The doctor said it's an antidepressant, stop smoking, sexual enhancer drug, and weight loss was a side effect. Initially it helped me lose 20 lbs. I had more energy & no "speed" feeling. Side effects are increased libido, which can be a good thing. When I stopped For about a year (no insurance) I got depressed, gained the 20 back. I stay on it now.
  • gwen1180
    Options
    I got my lab results back and apparently everything is ok, the only thing I can think of is the zoloft slowed down my metabolism so I'm hoping Wellbutrin helps out:(
  • gwen1180
    Options
    mamacita99 wrote: »
    I've been taking it (300 mg)for years. The doctor said it's an antidepressant, stop smoking, sexual enhancer drug, and weight loss was a side effect. Initially it helped me lose 20 lbs. I had more energy & no "speed" feeling. Side effects are increased libido, which can be a good thing. When I stopped For about a year (no insurance) I got depressed, gained the 20 back. I stay on it now.

I suffer from low libido too
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

kshatriyo wrote: »
    Many doctors don't know this, but Wellbutrin can increase anxiety and cause sleep difficulty, both which indirectly can cause poor eating choices/over eating. I took Wellbutrin for a long time to quit smoking and it worked.
    It can also cause akithisia... ask me how I know this. :/ Make sure to take it very early on in the day.

Medications don't directly cause weight gain/loss. Some medications increase/decrease appetite which causes weight gain/loss.

Not entirely true. Some medications make you retain water - which is still weight gain (but not fat gain). A few also slow metabolism which, if you're not prepared for it and don't change your eating habits, causes weight gain.

But mostly true. The thing to remember is that the experience of "increased appetite" can vary dramatically from person to person. For some people, it can be controlled simply by counting calories and allowing themselves to be hungry. For others, the hunger can be much more severe making ignoring it extremely difficult.
    Of course, but fluid retention itself wouldn't be huge, and to me, 'weight loss/gain' is fat/muscle loss/gain. I see fluid retention as something different.

If anyone has any studies that point to certain antidepressants and slowing down the metabolism, please post them.

I've lost around 90lbs while taking wellbutrin, and some meds that claim weight gain (such as lyrica and Yasmin).

Medications don't directly cause weight gain/loss. Some medications increase/decrease appetite which causes weight gain/loss.

How long were you on it? When did the weight start coming off- none of my clothes fit from last winter :(
    I was on prozac for 4 years and have been on wellbutrin for at least 2. My weight gain was due to me stuffing my face in a IDGAF phase. I lost weight with a calorie deficit on both medications, though. As for water weight, it was around 5lbs.
  • CaiL33t
    CaiL33t Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take 2 150 mg sr pills a day, so 300 mg total. I may be very very different here, but I suffer from depression, sever anxiety, and ADHD. I am mentioning this because my doctor was worried about me getting more anxious, but it actually had the opposite effect. It's not as good as a regular anxiety medication, but it does help me a lot! As for it helping my concentration.... not even a little bit! I'm still that kid shaking their leg in class (except I'm 23...).

I've lost about 15 lbs on it? I went from 160 to 145, though around the same time I stopped the depo shot and switched to the pill. I hope your medication helps you out, let me know if you have any questions!
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just a note to everyone out there, because this is a common thing on these boards- be careful about attributing significant weight gain to medication. Weight gain is usually secondary to things like increased hunger or increased somnolence (so you're not moving as much). Depression by nature can also cause those things. Wellbutrin usually is more known for decreasing appetite (nausea isn't rare) so it may help in that department.

No, antidepressants have not been shown to "slow down metabolism". There are some medications (certain- but not all- antipsychotic medications for example) that are known to have metabolic side effects, but that does not mean they slow down metabolism. These are serious, well-documented side effects but there are few medications that are like this. Weight can be controlled with some effort on pretty much every medication out there.

Medications aren't going to cause you to gain or lose significant amounts of weight in a vacuum. gwen110, the fact that you continued to gain weight well after the medication was discontinued says to me that there's more going on there. Please note that even if Wellbutrin helps decrease your appetite, it is not going to make you lose weight on its own. You say you're watching what you eat- what does that mean? Have you been counting calories and using a food scale to weigh everything you eat? MyFitnessPal and the forums are great sources to help.
  • gwen1180
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    Just a note to everyone out there, because this is a common thing on these boards- be careful about attributing significant weight gain to medication. Weight gain is usually secondary to things like increased hunger or increased somnolence (so you're not moving as much). Depression by nature can also cause those things. Wellbutrin usually is more known for decreasing appetite (nausea isn't rare) so it may help in that department.

No, antidepressants have not been shown to "slow down metabolism". There are some medications (certain- but not all- antipsychotic medications for example) that are known to have metabolic side effects, but that does not mean they slow down metabolism. These are serious, well-documented side effects but there are few medications that are like this. Weight can be controlled with some effort on pretty much every medication out there.

Medications aren't going to cause you to gain or lose significant amounts of weight in a vacuum. gwen110, the fact that you continued to gain weight well after the medication was discontinued says to me that there's more going on there. Please note that even if Wellbutrin helps decrease your appetite, it is not going to make you lose weight on its own. You say you're watching what you eat- what does that mean? Have you been counting calories and using a food scale to weigh everything you eat? MyFitnessPal and the forums are great sources to help.

Thank you for your post - my profession is a personal trainer so I'm pretty cautious of my eating habbits and I'm also at the gym almost 6 times a week- I never had an issue with gaining weight unless it was my own fault being lack of caring what I are or being less active until I was out on zoloft, I was still eating healthy as well as going to the gym and the weight crept up, I got off in May and have been struggling since and still being cautious and active , that is why my doctor wants me to try Wellbutrin to help speed up my metabolism , whether thats right or not or aids in weight loss or not to me it's worth a shot because being irritated or depressed that my body isn't reacting to the things I am doing and normally do isn't making things pleasant
  • Dove0804
    Options

Thank you for your post - my profession is a personal trainer so I'm pretty cautious of my eating habbits and I'm also at the gym almost 6 times a week- I never had an issue with gaining weight unless it was my own fault being lack of caring what I are or being less active until I was out on zoloft, I was still eating healthy as well as going to the gym and the weight crept up, I got off in May and have been struggling since and still being cautious and active , that is why my doctor wants me to try Wellbutrin to help speed up my metabolism , whether thats right or not or aids in weight loss or not to me it's worth a shot because being irritated or depressed that my body isn't reacting to the things I am doing and normally do isn't making things pleasant

Of course it's worth a shot- I think it's a perfectly reasonable choice to both combat depression and address the concern of weight gain, but it's not going to speed up metabolism. The side effect of weight loss associated with Wellbutrin is usually attributed to decreased hunger / potentially nausea.
    Not that I want to encourage people believing everyone they meet on internet forums, but I'm a pharmacist so these discussions usually catch my attention :)
    I wish you the best of luck!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin has always killed my appetite for the first few weeks, and then been totally fine - no help in loss, but no gain, either. I started back on it yesterday. Wellbutrin has always been very helpful for my depression and helps with my anxiety, as well.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I take Wellbutrin on daily bases.. the reason I'm alive.
    Been on it for a little over an year and I'm at 300 mg per day now. Since I started taking it I've lost around 35 kg.. Mostly in the past 13 months.

I swapped from Zoloft since it only made me sicker than I was before and I've become more active on daily bases. I started working out and eating correctly. I didn't even know it had weight loss as a side effect.. It was a pleasant surprise.

I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been taking generic bupropion, 150mg in the morning and one in the afternoon, for about 4 years. While not necessarily something that makes me lose weight, it definitely helps suppress my appetite. If I skip one, I find myself snacking. I haven't had any issues. I am in a maintenance mode. YMMV.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

This is exactly what I've been trying to say. There are no scientific studies to prove that anti depressants slow down metabolism and cause weight gain (I've looked), but I always get told that I am 'wrong' because 'internet reviews' or the 'it made me gain weight so it must be true' mindset of those who don't know much about CICO.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Wellbrutrin is kind of like a stimulant. It won't cause weight gain. It's also used to help people stop smoking under a different brand name. PLEASE be careful and mindful of your moods if you take a generic of this drug. If you worsen, stop and tell your doctor immediately. Many people have excellent success on this medication; with moods as well as weight loss. They tend to go together.
  • Dove0804
    Options
    Wellbrutrin is kind of like a stimulant. It won't cause weight gain. It's also used to help people stop smoking under a different brand name. PLEASE be careful and mindful of your moods if you take a generic of this drug. If you worsen, stop and tell your doctor immediately. Many people have excellent success on this medication; with moods as well as weight loss. They tend to go together.

It is not a different brand name- bupropion (generic name for Wellbutrin) sustained release formulation is FDA approved for both things.
    Brand/generic doesn't matter. There are very few medications where there is such a narrow therapeutic window that it does matter, such as thyroid medications and certain antiepileptic meds, but that's only a concern if you start and stabilize on one then switch to the other. Not an issue for a medication like this.
    Watching your mood for dramatic changes when you start ANY medication like this is extremely important and excellent advice.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Not entirely true. Some medications make you retain water - which is still weight gain (but not fat gain). A few also slow metabolism which, if you're not prepared for it and don't change your eating habits, causes weight gain.

But mostly true. The thing to remember is that the experience of "increased appetite" can vary dramatically from person to person. For some people, it can be controlled simply by counting calories and allowing themselves to be hungry. For others, the hunger can be much more severe making ignoring it extremely difficult.

Quoting myself because I feel like you're talking about me. I did *not* say "some antidepressants" affect metabolism. I said "some medications" affect metabolism. Because the poster above me made the blanket statement that medications don't affect metabolism.

As for the comment that water retention is minor unimportant weight gain, tell that to the person who starts retaining 5+ pounds of water that they never used to.