Already plateaued?

Options
I'm a 21yr old girl, 5'9, and 221lbs.

About three months ago I started my diet, and I plateaued at 218 a month into it. So I started eating more... but I didn't stop for about three weeks, in which put me back to 230.

So I started again two and a half weeks ago, and I'm going strong -- going to the gym for an hour a day 3x a week, eating anywhere from 1200-1300 calories, and started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred five days ago. Before I started the shred, I weighed in at 221. I weighed myself this morning out of eagerness and excitement of me working out so hard lately and expecting results, and I'm still 221. Extremely discouraging. :(

What do you do when you plateau? I've read that I'm supposed to increase my intake, or just leave it alone and keep working and wait until I break it?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You are not in a plateau at 2 weeks, give this like 4 - 6 weeks. Also weight is gonna fluctuate; weight loss is also not linear, You lose some weeks and some you will not or it will be slower.

Patience is you friend about right now.. :)

For your information and also things for you check that you are doing everything you can to to keep your weight loss trending in the right direction. (i am a little lazy and did not want to type all this out..) :)

p9qrhs9580jd.jpg

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing then is eating more common sense to you? It is not to me. Eating less on the other hand makes sense to me.
  • breesu
    breesu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    If you are not losing then is eating more common sense to you? It is not to me. Eating less on the other hand makes sense to me.

I read that increasing your intake will help your metabolism get back in order or trick your metabolism into gettin' he ball rolling again. If I ate any less it'd put me at less than 1200 calories, which is starving my body unfortunately.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You are not at a plateau and as said, you weight will fluctuate. You also just started or increased your exercise which can cause you to retain water. Just keep on keeping on and give the process time to work.
  • breesu
    breesu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You are not in a plateau at 2 weeks, give this like 4 - 6 weeks. Also weight is gonna fluctuate; weight loss is also not linear, You lose some weeks and some you will not or it will be slower.

Patience is you friend about right now.. :)

For your information and also things for you check that you are doing everything you can to to keep your weight loss trending in the right direction. (i am a little lazy and did not want to type all this out..) :)

I've always been such an impatient person, haha, one of my worst traits. I think I'll just stick to what I'm doing and avoid the scale for a few more weeks. Thank you, the chart was helpful! :)
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    breesu wrote: »
    I'm a 21yr old girl, 5'9, and 221lbs.

About three months ago I started my diet, and I plateaued at 218 a month into it. So I started eating more... but I didn't stop for about three weeks, in which put me back to 230.

So I started again two and a half weeks ago, and I'm going strong -- going to the gym for an hour a day 3x a week, eating anywhere from 1200-1300 calories, and started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred five days ago. Before I started the shred, I weighed in at 221. I weighed myself this morning out of eagerness and excitement of me working out so hard lately and expecting results, and I'm still 221. Extremely discouraging. :(

What do you do when you plateau? I've read that I'm supposed to increase my intake, or just leave it alone and keep working and wait until I break it?

I think you should see this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scu3OzE2NXk
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    breesu wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »

I read that increasing your intake will help your metabolism get back in order or trick your metabolism into gettin' he ball rolling again. If I ate any less it'd put me at less than 1200 calories, which is starving my body unfortunately.

Increasing the cals allows you lose a bit slower avoiding unnecessary things that happen during more aggressive weight loss. So eating more, or slowing the rate of loss which is what I call it, is a good thing. The 1200 is the lowest one can go and it almost always leaves a person bottoming out at this number causing problems with weight loss.

Just know I always go with this saying "the one that can eat more and still lose weight wins".. :)

And it does give you a small mount of wiggle room if needed. The poster that stated eating more in your situation is not understanding correctly..

edited to add" plataues are really not official stalls.. if you are in a calorie deficit you are losing weight, it is compounded by added stress by eating too little, perhaps exercising too much, water retention, female hormonal stuff, etc.. usually upping the cals and giving the body a small break will get things moving again, or more over you can prevent this from happening in the first place by making sure you keep moving (increase your NEAT calories), working out sensibly (EAT calories) and changing that up every now again (as you lose weight you burn less calories in exercise doing the same thing) and of course watching your food intake and logging accurately as well as trending your weight daily or weekly.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think you are falling into a dieting and exercise trap. Keep eating the 1200 calories and make sure you do the 30 day shred five or six days a week. Dont skip taking at least one or two recovery days a week, but no more than that. You really don't need to go to the gym in addition to the shred for the weight to fall off with this. If you will put all your energy and intensity into it, you will be too tired to go to the gym at 230 lbs. especially in the third level. If you must do extra cardio, don't do more than 45 min of it at a time or you will start to break down muscle for energy which defeats the point of working muscles in the shred. I speak from experience. Last October I did the shred for 60 days after a month of JM standing abs workouts and over 90 days on MFP. I started at 203 dropping 38 lbs. I really never hit a true plateau. The weight loss just slowed down. It rakes women a long time to build muscle. Maybe as little as a half pound a month. It is also logical that it takes time to build a healthy metabolism. I don't think someone can raise their metabolism in only a couple weeks from eating more calories. Eating a few hundred more calories a day is something you do when you start working out more intensely or building muscle. You can be 200 lbs with fat, or 200 lbs with less fat and more muscle. You will look better with the muscle. Focus on increasing weights in the shred and in a few months, your muscles will start growing more muscle cells which really will increase your metabolism because you will have more new functioning cells. You won't get bulky either. That's just an excuse women use because the bulky wen train and target thoseuscles for years to achieve that level of fitness. Retrain your mind to think you will do the shred for three months, and you will be successful at losing weight if you stick to 1200-1400 unprocessed whole food calories. Good luck!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    As stated you aren't in a plateau. I didn't lose any weight my first month of counting calories but I did lose inches.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    OP: we are all pretty impatient when it comes to weight loss.
    Since you have recently started, try tracking your daily burn (in total) alongside your daily calories intake on a sheet (like Google Sheets). If you are able to use a meter to track your total burn, like a fitbit or similar, that is helpful. It's a good way to figure out your TDEE. There are internet calculators to help you figure out as well. Goodle "TDEE calculator"
    Sometimes we are more or less active than we think. I will give example for me. I sit at a desk ALL DAY LONG. the only exercise I get is if I go workout. I hardly make 3k steps a day. I Still burn about 1750/cals a day. So weight loss with no exercise comes by eating about 1400/cals a day. If I workout I need to eat more.

Sure 1200 a day will drop you some weight, but it's not sustainable. figure yourself out over some time by paying attention to your body and what you're doing. Eventually patterns will arise and you'll figure it out.

Feel free to add me! It is a pretty interesting thing this weight loss..
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    A) I suspect you're not eating 1200 calories. How are you measuring? And b) if you are, it's entirely possible that water retention for muscle repair/hormonal changes is masking losses. I'd start measuring and wait out the water retention.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You can't exercise out a bad diet. With that being said, you are not in a plateau. A plateau is six weeks or more of consistency on your part and not seeing any results. Give it time. Log and weigh all your food accurately. A diet is for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness. Good luck.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    1200 calories seems way too little. You are tall. And young. And exercising regularly. I think it would be healthier for you to up your calories and lose this weight slowly and steadily, once and for all.