Always hungry!!

Options
What gives? Every night I seem to go to bed hungry despite eating a well balanced (high protein) meal. My husband said it's just because my body is used to so much junk food.
I feel like my body is setting me up for failure. It's so hard not to raid my kitchen :(

Replies

• aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have a small snack, like a piece of fruit or an ounce of cheese. You might just need a few more calories. You can do it! Some people just need to eat more often and others do well on three meals with no snacks. Just do what works for you!
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue a few weeks back. I tried to cut calories before my body could adjust. Next thing you know I was making a sandwich in the middle of the night, along with some harmless potato chips- from the bag.

I realized first that I needed to remove the unhealthy snacks from the home completely. I got fruits instead and lower calorie, low sugar proteine bars. So if I do have the urge to snack at night, I have a basket of fruit welcoming me when I get to the kitchen. I also drink water throughout the day, and even keep a few bottles by the bedside.

One more thing that really helps me is to do my fitness activities in the evening, that way I would be tired and sleep throughout the night.

I'm sure someone will be able to give better advice, this is what has been working for me.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It's possible you've set your calories too low- too much of a deficit will leave you hungry. Might want to increase calories by like 100.

Or you might need more fiber- I find I'm actually hungrier on the days I eat fewer but higher calorie foods, and less hungry when I eat more lower calorie high fiber foods- try lots of raw & cooked vegetables & greens, lower calorie complex carbs rather than high calorie ones like quinoa & sweet potato & squash, lower calorie/low fat proteins like white meat chicken, lean ground turkey, white fish, shrimp, protein shakes, egg whites, beans, Greek yogurt, etc, low sugar high fiber fruits like berries and apple & melon...

And avoid things like skipping your veggies, eating snack foods like chips or cookies, high fat meats like hamburger, high sugar high calorie fruits like grapes, chocolate, high calorie carbs like bread and pasta... these give you a lot of calories but less of a full feeling.

Also don't go too long between meals if you tend to get ravenous. I totally get overly hungry if I wait too long or skip meals and then when I finally eat it feels like my tummy is a bottomless pit.

Also maybe leave room in your calories for a little dessert after dinner - but something healthy like berries or apples.

Drink a lot of water.

It could be you're just still adjusting too- the first few days for me were REALLY hard to eat below my new calorie goal, but I was used to it by a couple weeks in and actually dropped my calories a bit because I wasn't even hitting my daily calorie goal anymore anyways.

Hang in there!
  • Eliana_65
    Eliana_65 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself, eat when you're hungry just make sure you are eating healthy stuff in small portions. Eat food high in fiber and protein that will fill you up. Snacks with peanut butter (apple, celery, carrots, broccoli) and tons of green tea will help you. Watch your cravings, it's your body telling you what you need.
    I've reduced my cravings for sweets by eating more beets, sounds like bs but it helped I was surprised :smile:
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    When I started here almost a year ago, I was much hungrier. It got better pretty soon, as my stomach shrank up, but in the meantime I had some safe snacks to turn to. My favorite was a can of V8, which I happen to love, but isn't for everyone, I know! The point is, something that was satisfying and had a well-known and very moderate number of calories. It's important to put it in the budget--no snacking over budget! These days I'm more used to my intake and almost never am troubled by hunger. When I get a powerful case of the munchies and haven't any calories left in the budget, I have hot tea or pickled ginger or something essentially calorie-free of that sort.
  • SwoleyRoller
    SwoleyRoller Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit are you eating at, and did you gradually go down, or all at once?