GAINING weight, instead of losing it.

Options
:s Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm GAINING weight, instead of losing it. I'm counting EVERY calorie that I consume, and my calorie intake is 1000/day, which I'm struggling to accomplish hitting every day. The most that I've weighed is, 151lbs, and I've been bouncing between, 135-145, currently. My ideal weight that I'd like to be, 125.

Just feeling frustrated and would appreciate any thoughts on how to accomplish this goal.

Replies

• j1k2z3
    j1k2z3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Honestly, I used to eat 1100 cals a day and when I bumped up to 1500 and worked out more, I started loosing weight. I would try to bump you intake but measure it all carefully
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1000 calories a day? And are you logging carefully?
    How long have you been "gaining instead"?
    How tall are you?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know your height.

Bouncing between 135 and 145 seems like a big range. How do you know you are gaining?

Are you consistently hitting 1000 (which is too low, IMO), or are you hitting it some days and then eating more on others?

I would also suggest weighing your food. When you don't have much left to lose, it is critical to be accurate.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others say. Also can you open your diary?
  • DerekSunshine
    DerekSunshine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are your measurements (especially your waist and hips) changing? When you gain (or lose) fat, those measurements change. If you're just gaining or retaining water, it doesn't tend to change your size. If you really are re-gaining and re-losing 10 pounds of fat tissue, it'd be noticeable in your measurements. Ten pounds is almost 2 inches of waist size for me.

On the other hand, how old is your scale? They are mechanical and they do wear out over time. For now, I'd replace the battery on yours. I'd also recommend checking the "feet" on the bottom of it. I had a scale where one of the feet broke off and it became very unreliable because it was no longer level.
  • fl_gypsy1967
    fl_gypsy1967 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1000 calories a day? And are you logging carefully?
    How long have you been "gaining instead"?
    How tall are you?

I'm 5'5" and there are days that I don't even eat the 1000 calories, so on those days, I just log food that I didn't eat. I've been logging 1000 calories for about 3 months.
  • fl_gypsy1967
    Options
    j1k2z3 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food? Honestly, I used to eat 1100 cals a day and when I bumped up to 1500 and worked out more, I started loosing weight. I would try to bump you intake but measure it all carefully

I would love to put my caloric intake back up to 1500, but honestly, it's hard to eat the 1000 calories. With the cooler weather, I'm implementing oatmeal into my diet, which is making it somewhat easier to attain my caloric intake. I'm walking more, I just fear that once I have my SI surgery, I'll be even more limited on my walking, for a while.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food accurately? By accurately I mean in grams on a digital scale for solids and things like peanut butter, ml for liquids.
  • fl_gypsy1967
    Options
    Do you weigh your food accurately? By accurately I mean in grams on a digital scale for solids and things like peanut butter, ml for liquids.

I'm not weighing my food on a scale, I guess I'll need to get one, since I'm relying on the nutritional information on the product and measuring according to that information.
  • fl_gypsy1967
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    Ditto what others say. Also can you open your diary?

Diary is open.
  • TreyTnt9
    TreyTnt9 Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    deleted
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I'm not weighing my food on a scale, I guess I'll need to get one, since I'm relying on the nutritional information on the product and measuring according to that information.
    Bingo. Labels can be 20% off on the weight.
  • balfey
    balfey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are not getting enough calories...slow down your goal to lose weight and up your Hiit sessions and circuit training
  • fl_gypsy1967
    Options
    Are these homemade recipes yours, or just from the database?

Some on this site, some off of Pillsbury site and some homemade.
  • dtkhan
    dtkhan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is too low, you need a more sustainable diet that you can actually maintain without thinking about food all day. There can be a lot of reasons why your weight is fluctuating between that range. That in particular has a lot to do with water weight and since your body is going into starvation mode, it tends to store fat rather than to burn. Crash diets are not a good idea for you physically or mentally!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm certain you are eating more than 1,000 calories each day. Without a food scale it is nearly impossible to know how much you're eating. This morning I made a quick peanut butter & jelly sandwich. I put my plate and bread on the scale and tared it. I added the peanut butter. Two Tbsp. is 32 grams. I had 11 grams. So 11/32=.34 or 65 calories. Then I tared the scale and added the jelly and did the same thing. This way I know exactly what I'm eating. Also, log only what you eat. If you eat less than 1,000 calories, only log that. You don't have to close out your log each day. The MFP police won't go after you. A food scale will make a world of difference.

Since you're getting SI surgery you want to find foods that help with joint inflammation. Instead of vegetable oil use olive oil; instead of red meat think fish; also try to eat nuts (walnuts, sunflower seeds & almonds). Consider taking a multivitamin that contains A, B6, C, D, and K. There are some good suggestions on this website. Good luck!

http://www.prospirapaincare.com/16-ways-to-reduce-swelling-and-inflammation-in-your-si-joint/