Bok Choy!

Options
MommyRuns12
MommyRuns12 Posts: 13 Member
I'm trying to explore some veggie options. Anyone have any recommendations for Bok Choy that won't require me to over cook or over season it? I don't like to over cook my veggies and I'm kind of afraid of the bitterness it can have.

Replies

• filipinahulagirl
    filipinahulagirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love bok choy, I usually make it in a stir fry or salad with sesame oil and apple cider vinegar
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's great in a stir fry. I also make a fish soup and put it in there. Have you tried baby bok choy? It's super tender and might be less bitter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stir fried al dente. with whatever spices you want. Baby bok choy is fabulous.
  • MommyRuns12
    Options
    It's great in a stir fry. I also make a fish soup and put it in there. Have you tried baby bok choy? It's super tender and might be less bitter.

That is the type I picked up. I'm going to try that, I love fish soup. Thanks!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    This is a great way to serve it as a side, and since it's steamed you have control of how cooked it is:
    http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/04/baby-bok-choy-in-oyster-sauce-with.html
  • MommyRuns12
    Options
    This is a great way to serve it as a side, and since it's steamed you have control of how cooked it is:
    http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/04/baby-bok-choy-in-oyster-sauce-with.html

Wow that looks amazing!
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Choose some with nice small leaves and it is a lot less bitter. I like to cut it into finger width strips to stir fry it, putting the fleshier strips in the pan about 30 seconds before the leafier ends. Nice seasoned with a little soy and mirin.

Also nice added to a miso soup or chicken broth with some soba noodles and a handful of cooked chicken or prawns.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw all the time-- chop it up and use the stems like celery and the leaves like spinach or kale. I don't find it bitter at all.

One of my favorite salads is chopped bok choy, garlic and ginver paste, a little PB2 peanut butter powder, and Kimchi. It makes a GREAT Asian satay slaw!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I love baby bok choy. I don't always like to sautee or stir fry it because the oil tastes to heavy to me. I like to put it in a covered dish, sprinkle on a little soy sauce and ginger, then into the microwave for 2 minutes. Tasty and easy!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The kids love it with a little garlic and oyster sauce. Shanghai Bok Choi is milder (if that is possible).

We will prepare other greens the same way: Gai Lan, Water Spinach. A little more exotic would be snow pea shoots or luffa.

I also start by cooking the veggies in a little water and not oil...or if you don't have a big wok, you could blanch first....