Exercise at work

Options
Does anyone have small things they do during the day at work to keep their fitness on track?

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks...I get 30 minutes in that way. I'm looking for more ideas.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You won't really get "fit" at work. But you can make an effort to move more. Most of us sit way too much.

The lunch break walk is great. I keep sneakers & baby wipes in my desk. When it's too hot/raining/snowing I go to the nearest big box store.

Bathroom stall squats & standing push ups. Tricep dips using your desk chair. Under desk cycle. Walk to the farthest bathroom, park farther away, take the stairs if you can.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I run every other day and on the days I don't run I take a 20-25 minute walk at lunch time. I keep a pair of comfy shoes in my desk drawer in case I wore shoes not suitable for walking 1/2 mile or more. I park at the back of the parking lot. I always take the stairs unless I'm carrying something. I use the bathroom that's furthest away in the building. I work for a large company with a large campus. If I have a meeting in another building, and it's not 100°+ (it is most of the summer) or raining I'll walk. The building farthest away is a mile from the one where I sit so that ends up being a really nice walk if the weather is nice. There's also a company gym which I joined and use for weight lifting two or three times per week.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

Sometimes when I go to the bathroom I do squats and hope that no one walks in on me

hee. i'm always sneaking into small spaces and taking these quick furtive looks all around, to see if it's safe to do that. or to stretch in some way.

i used to dead-hang from the cubicle doors. got pretty strong that way, but yeah. not a totally corporate kind of thing to get caught doing.

i've also discovered that using curb cuts to do a couple quick squats in spite of the fact that i'm wearing flat shoes . . . it isn't the least-embarrassing thing you can do. the nice-mannered drivers think you're waiting to cross and stop. so you tend to gather audiences.

• Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Limber up! Definitely walking during break. I use to do push ups too but in general stretching is good enough and some walking, providing you're actually working out that day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use a standing desk at work and log it as a MET 2 exercise. It's legit. 6 hours standing yesterday logged 290 calories.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I work on a hospital floor that goes in a square shape. Twenty laps makes a mile, so sometimes I do a bunch. I keep a lap counter on my phone to track it. When I first started doing it, people would laugh, now quite a few own Fitbits and do it as well. I also take the longer way to get items I need, all those steps add up. Once in a while, if we're not busy, a couple of us go into an empty room and do planks. The parking garage is a 0.3 mile walk so that adds about 600 steps for me each way.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    I work on a hospital floor that goes in a square shape. Twenty laps makes a mile, so sometimes I do a bunch. I keep a lap counter on my phone to track it. When I first started doing it, people would laugh, now quite a few own Fitbits and do it as well. I also take the longer way to get items I need, all those steps add up. Once in a while, if we're not busy, a couple of us go into an empty room and do planks. The parking garage is a 0.3 mile walk so that adds about 600 steps for me each way.

This is brilliant. And of course those laughing wanna join you once they see the results you're getting. People huh. Well done.
  • ballyshea
    ballyshea Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What gives me a giggle is the vision of people in workplaces getting up every hour to do 250 steps. Just not practical in some workplaces/situations. :)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My office is up six flights of stairs, the simple habit of using the stairs adds up day after day. A typical day would add up to 24 flights of stairs up and down - 120 flights a week, 480 flights a month.....

I find it quite shocking how many people automatically take the lift/elevator even to go one or two floors and when you do get them to use their legs they are huffing and puffing after just a couple of flights of stairs.

I also cycle or walk to my local train station as part of my commute. That's only just over a mile away but that adds up to 40+ miles a month of free exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My workplace actually gave out Pulse wrist trackers in an effort to get the workplace moving more. My boss started a 10000 step challenge, meet this each week for 3 weeks straight an you get $50.00. Better believe everyone is out walking at lunch and breaks, walking to the park nearby on breaks, taking the stairs, parking far away from the entrance, walk to other side of the building to use the bathroom, standup while on the phone, etc.
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Was doing 9 stories of stairs a day till i lost interest.
  • petemeep
    petemeep Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Will sometimes do leg lifts/kicks/ holds from my chair under my desk, you can work your legs and core depending on how you do them! Plus it's really not noticeable at least in my office!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the free app SWORKIT and can do mini work outs on it in my office. I also take walks on nice days.