Itching...

Options
Whenever I do cardio, especially running my legs itchy like crazy. So bad that it's hard to get through my workouts. Does anybody else have this happened or know what causes it, or how to get relief from it?! My doctor told me when I was younger that it was something to do with a change in body temperature and histamines in your body, like it's a sort of an allergy. Though, I can't find very much information on it....

Replies

• lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I used to have that, but not anymore. Not sure what causes it...
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    maybe it's fat? Like extra skin "flapping" around would make it itch, not trying to make you feel down though...
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mine do that as well. I'm not sure why it does it but it would be interesting to find out...
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    I would have thought that it was due to increased blood flow...just an idea...:happy:
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My best friend has that! I thought she was a little crazy. (She is, but not for that.) Turns out that's an actual condition. She takes Allegra and it worked.
  • Brynn1216
    Brynn1216 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My legs get extremely itchy sometimes too when I am walking or running... and other times it does not happen, at all. I don't know what makes the difference. I wish I knew because it's awful!
  • inkedlala
    inkedlala Posts: 20
    Options
    It's from a lack of oxygen getting to your skin.
    It happens really bad to me if I run, or exercise in the cold at all.
    I have asthma too, so its even worse, but ya, thats what its from.
    Breathe better!
    :)
  • Brynn1216
    Brynn1216 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    maybe it's fat? Like extra skin "flapping" around would make it itch, not trying to make you feel down though...

It's not fat. All I know is that is has something to do with blood flow and circulation... I wish I knew more though for myself and to help you out!
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try taking a dose of benadryl before you work out(like 15 -20 mins before) or allegra or zyrtec some kind of allergy med. Your skin may be reacting to your body sweating. Also make sure you are well hydrated before you exercise sometimes dry itchy skin is do to not enough water.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    Hrm, makes sense to take an allergy pill. It is worse in the cold, unbearable actually haha. I'm going to check with my doctor in August so I can let ya'll know what they say too. From what I've read it seems like its a combination of increased blood flow into your skin and your body's histamines or lack there of.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Found this on wisegeek.com:

"Sometimes people experience leg itching when they walk, exercise, or are exposed to heat. There are a number of reasons for legs to get itchy as a result of walking; if this is a recurring problem, you may want to see a doctor. When your legs get itchy, take note of the conditions of the itching, like the type of exercise you are engaged in, the temperature, and the weather. These clues can help a doctor figure out the cause of the problem.

The most common reason for itchy legs while walking is cholinergic urticaria, a fancy term for an elevation in body temperature which causes your body to react with itching, warm skin, and bumpy hives. If your legs get itchy in warm weather, saunas, and other warm conditions, you may have this condition, but you should talk to a doctor to be sure. The use of antihistamines can help to control the reaction and make you more comfortable.

If your legs get itchy as a result of cholinergic urticaria, you may need to adjust your exercise routine. You should stop the exercise which makes you itch, and adjust your workout routine and garments to keep your body more comfortable. You may also find it helpful to exercise in the early morning or late evening, when temperatures tend to be cooler. Try to avoid humidity as well, as this can increase the severity of the reaction.

In some cases, legs get itchy as a reaction to the clothes you are wearing. Cotton garments are the least likely to cause a reaction, so you may want to switch to loose cotton pants or shorts for walking. Some synthetics can trigger a reaction, and sometimes your legs get itchy in response to residual pesticides and dyes in the fabric used to make your pants. If you notice that your legs get itchy when you wear new pants, wash them and try exercising again to see if that eliminates the problem.

In rare cases, your legs get itchy as part of an allergic response to something you have eaten. This is known as exercise-induced anaphylaxis, and it can be very serious. However, an allergic reaction will be accompanied with difficulty breathing, a whole body rash, nausea, and sometimes vomiting, making it easy to distinguish from more benign causes of itchy legs. If you are suffering from a severe allergic reaction, it will become readily apparent; if you have a prescription for epinephrine to treat things like bee stings, use it. Otherwise, hail a passerby and ask for help, and make sure to specify that you think you are having an allergic reaction."