The FOOD SCALE doesn't LIE and we should all use Grams not tablespoons.

Options

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Troll response: unless you own the food scale I *used* to have which had major calibration errors. Luckily the one I own now is much better!

Serious response: you aren't kidding! Food scales know best, even when food manufacturers don't. Shout out to JIF's maple flavored peanut butter spread, which according to the nutrition label this is what one "tablespoon" should look like if you weigh it out properly in grams.
    I could cry.
    szd53927qzem.jpg
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I was curious about the quick Peanut butter sandwich I make every morning for a long time so today I decided to use the scale and a google conversion ounces to grams as I have always counted it as 5 tablespoons ( MFP Choice) which is 525 calories plus 220 in whole grain bread.
    SHOCKED!!! SHOCKED!!!
    It seems the REAL weight of my wonderful wonderful Peanut butter is 189.24 grams which is equal to 1242 calories plus 220 in whole grain bread for a WHOOPPPING 1462 calories:):)

Good news is I'm trying to add weight at this point so no biggie but I think we can all learn a lesson from this message and that is

THE SCALE DOESN'T LIE so weigh out your food guessing doesn't work DUUUhh !!! LOL!!

So did I eat this wonderful sandwich I made in all of 10 seconds you bet I did and it was great!!

Oh for Pete's sake stop the generalization. A lot of people lost, are losing and/or maintaining weight without a food scale.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    So I was curious about this and because I have decided to be more rigorous about weighing my food, decided to weigh the 2 tbsp of cashew butter that go with my apple for my breakfast. I use a 2 tbsp cookie scoop to measure it out. This morning, I still used the cookie scoop, but then weighed the cashew butter on my scale.

The serving size is supposed to be 30g.
    I was only off by 2 grams for 32g.

Not saying I'm not going to weigh stuff, but the measuring instrument I had wasn't that off, although I guess if you're close on calories, 12 could maybe make or break you?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh for Pete's sake stop the generalization. A lot of people lost, are losing and/or maintaining weight without a food scale.[/quote]

Math is not a generalization and I would bet a lot more are stagnant, over weight or bouncing around because they don't know how much they are eating.

Isn't "for Pete's sake" a generalization quote? Dammmmmmm.....

l5bi0utb2j75.jpg

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Definitely good to weight and measure now and then to keep you honest...
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yup, this is exactly why I started using a scale. I've got to say, some stuff has been further restricted, but mostly weighing my food has let me eat more than I used to :)

As for peanut butter...well, let's just say that it's a rare treat that's reserved for my celery sticks now...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    For me, not using a food scale and just using package information on nutrient content plus cups and spoons and knowing what serving sizes are in relation to my hand, didn't stop me from reaching my goal and losing about 4 pounds a month for 10 months.

I'm glad others have found the scale gives them the accuracy and accountablilty to succeed in their goals though. :)

You're one of the few who can successfully eyeball. Even after a few years of using a food scale, I still can't eyeball correctly.

me neither :(
    llbrixon wrote: »
    The problem with using grams only instead of ounces, cups....is a lot of the foods do not have a listing for grams.

@llbrixon I've been able to find a gram option for just about every solid food i eat, and on the rare occasion there's not, i just create my own entry. I live in Australia, we don't use ounces, so i have no choice but to use grams.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good about being able to eyeball the grams accurately but that doesn't stop me from using the scale to check and give myself a pat on the back when I'm right.

OP, maybe it's because I hate peanut butter, but 5T sounds like a lot. Couldn't you lower down slowly to a normal serving and maybe eat more peanut satay dishes to get that nutty hit? My poor future kids are going to be lucky to get 1T across two slices of toast!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    sst036 wrote: »
    I'm pretty good about being able to eyeball the grams accurately but that doesn't stop me from using the scale to check and give myself a pat on the back when I'm right.

OP, maybe it's because I hate peanut butter, but 5T sounds like a lot. Couldn't you lower down slowly to a normal serving and maybe eat more peanut satay dishes to get that nutty hit? My poor future kids are going to be lucky to get 1T across two slices of toast!

Yeah even 32g is a lot for me... I can't even imagine fitting 5T on two slices of bread without the bread disintegrating. So let's say I'm a bit skeptic about the authenticity of this post.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I had to go quite a way back in my diary to find some pbj, and I used 20-23g of pb in mine. Admittedly, I only use a thin scrape for flavour - but then I'm watching my calorie count and have a small allowance so that seems the logical to do. Still, even if I was having a reckless day I would probably only use 30-35g or I'd gag on it.

If OP enjoys (and can afford the calories) of that huge amount, fair play! The point about using scales if one isn't good at eyeballing (I'm terrible at it) or isn't losing/is stalling is valid, as is the point about not using scales if eyeballing works.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Glad the UK doesn't use the "servings" approach. Everything thing here down to a flaxseed is in grams. We don't know any different. Thanks to that approach I've pretty much mastered the calorie content of most foods so on days I guesstimate/eyeball I'm only off by max 100 cals +/-.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    sst036 wrote: »

Yeah even 32g is a lot for me... I can't even imagine fitting 5T on two slices of bread without the bread disintegrating. So let's say I'm a bit skeptic about the authenticity of this post.

Excuse me? Authenticity there is a Picture why not just say its a lie while your at it?? This happened- here is another pic and I ate another one this am so freaking good- Mrs Skeptical..

Oh my Jar is 40 ounces not 32 my mistake so a 40 ounce jar every week. Jealous much??
    If your active you can burn any amount of calories this is what I obviously need to maintain 180lbs at 6'0 and 48 years of age because my weight has stayed the same. I lift six days a week too.

fdcjgbslvuwz.png

l5bi0utb2j75.jpg

n1xjie8952lm.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah that picture looks like 50g MAYBE. Unless it's a huge piece of bread and you only have a bit of it left. I put 32g of nut butter in my sandwich today and it looked like there was more than your picture in it...

Are you 100% sure that your scale is correct?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Wait....you ate a single peanut butter sandwich that was 1400+ calories? Holy cow. That's my maintenance calories for the day. In one sandwich.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad I only like a light smear of PB on my slice of bread. It's not something I eat often but when I want it, it's dangerous not to indulge just a little, fights boredom with your food plan. I probably would waste a lot trying to weigh it so I measure it out of a tsp measure. Of course I could weigh the bread first and then tare it and weigh after the peanut butter is on it, but my scale probably isn't that accurate anyway! :o Actually I do weigh most foods and it works for me, but to each their own I say! It's just refreshing to know that some of actually need to gain some weight!!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I want to see the bread with just the 189 grams of peanut butter. You know what, I might do it myself just to see what it looks like because it doesn't look like 189 grams of peanut butter in that picture.
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was one of those "shocked/appalled" people who weighed food after eyeballing amounts for the first few months when I started. Sometimes I wanna cry coz the food amount is so much smaller than my beautiful brain expects/wants. *sigh* :#
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I dont eat peanut butter but I am familiar with it from when my kids used to eat it in sandwiches- in Australia it doesnt seem nearly as popular as it is in America and I dont even have any in my house - but I cant see how anyone could use a cup of peanut butter, or the amount shown in Zyxts photos, in one sandwich of ordinary size bread slices. :o

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    For me, not using a food scale and just using package information on nutrient content plus cups and spoons and knowing what serving sizes are in relation to my hand, didn't stop me from reaching my goal and losing about 4 pounds a month for 10 months.

I'm glad others have found the scale gives them the accuracy and accountablilty to succeed in their goals though. :)

I am doing the same thing. I have lost 103 pounds since January.