NSNG question

I am starting the No Sugar No Grain way of eating and having trouble figuring out what percentage my carbs, protein and fats should be. Any suggestions?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    It depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to lose weight? Are you doing a recomp (lose fat, build muscle?) If you're trying to lose weight, calories should be the main focus. As for the macros, do you have an idea of which category keeps you full the longest? For me it tends to be carbs, so I keep my carb percentage around 40-50%...I think my fats are 30%, and protein 20%. Some people here swear by low carb, high fat. YMMV...you may just have to play around with it.
    For recomp, protein percentage probably needs to be higher.
  • jformica556
    jformica556 Posts: 7 Member
    I am severely obese and want to lose at least 200 lbs. the NSNG seems to be a way to lose weight while regaining energy and other health benefits.
  • jformica556
    Thanks for the info dragon girl. Basically weight loss is primary goal to get to where I can move easier and get my life back. Want to get rid of walker, strengthen core, legs to walk unassisted again. Have to start somewhere
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    I am severely obese and want to lose at least 200 lbs. the NSNG seems to be a way to lose weight while regaining energy and other health benefits.

Weight loss doesn't have to be that way though.

Calories are king for weight loss. CICO. Calories in<calories out. This means, eat less calories than you need to maintain (maintenance calories or your TDDE- total daily energy expenditure) your current weight. Have you set up your mfp diet profile? How many calories did it give you to lose 2lbs per week? I ask because you can possibly eat lower than that.

I've lost a little over 90lbs just from calorie counting and not cutting any foods or food groups out of my 'diet'. Yes, I eat cookies/cake/chips/grains as well as nutritious foods. Everything in moderation. Not cutting any foods out of my 'diet' takes a lot of stress out of weight loss.All I do is use a food scale to weigh my food and log honestly every day. I am now down to my last 40-50lbs.

I believe in you. You've got this.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the info dragon girl. Basically weight loss is primary goal to get to where I can move easier and get my life back. Want to get rid of walker, strengthen core, legs to walk unassisted again. Have to start somewhere

Weight loss is pretty straight forward-you just need to eat at an appropriate calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. That's it. No need to cut out a bunch of foods that you like or do a really strict regiment (which is unsustainable long term). Focus on doing things you'll be able to do for the rest of your life-20, 30, 40, 50+ years. Learn how to have a healthy relationship with the foods you already enjoy and you'll be much more likely to succeed at this whole thing :)

First-figure out your calorie goals (MFP can do this for you), start using a food scale set to grams, learn what portion sizes are and pre-plan your food each morning (this helps you go into each day with a plan of action and you'll be less likely to get off track as the day progresses). You'll also want to rerun your stats every 10 pounds or so and then adjust your calorie intake accordingly.

Best of luck to you-you can do this!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I am starting the No Sugar No Grain way of eating and having trouble figuring out what percentage my carbs, protein and fats should be. Any suggestions?

Don't overcomplicate. If NSNG is something you want to try or seems easier for you for now (I don't think it's necessary, but I understand wanting to try it), don't worry about macros, just do it, and track calories. (Eating a healthful diet is good too, but I think people often naturally move that way, if they weren't already, when cutting calories.)

However, it's often helpful to keep protein at .8 g/lb of goal weight (assuming your goal is in the healthy range). So, for example, if the goal is 150, then protein would be 120 g. This is absolutely not required, but can help with satiety and maintaining muscle when eating at a deficit. So if you bother with anything except calories, look at protein.
  • jformica556
    Thank you all. Such great support! I've had pretty much a lifetime of up and down with losing weight. I'm well aware of the conventional ways to lose it. I've lost motivation too quickly before. BUT now my age and lack of mobility has kicked me in the *kitten* and given me a reality check. Thank you again!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited October 2016
    Thank you all. Such great support! I've had pretty much a lifetime of up and down with losing weight. I'm well aware of the conventional ways to lose it. I've lost motivation too quickly before. BUT now my age and lack of mobility has kicked me in the *kitten* and given me a reality check. Thank you again!!

I hate it when my kitten gets kicked :laugh:

If losing motivation was the problem, were you trying to change too much at once? Or is it the slow process of losing? Both have been a challenge for me in the past.

Personally I would be miserable cutting out sugars and grains and would not stick with it for long. If it works for you, then great. If you find it's too much of a change, then consider smaller changes, and remember that the weeks will pass regardless. The question is, where will you be in 6 months or a year from now.