I Hate Exercise

Replies

• Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    I hate it too
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Do you eat enough to support your exercising? If you're on the big caloric deficit, it could be partly responsible for low-energy workouts, slow recovery, etc.

I don't love exercising, but I love climbing. I end up doing lots other exercises in support of my climbing. I don't like low-intensity cardio in general , and the thought of HIIT irks me, but apparently I like jump rope - which is a great warm up for climbing.

This sort of thing.

I used to hate exercise that made me sweat. But I enjoyed swing dancing, which made me sweat. Exercise doesn't need to be the gym, it could be walking, hiking, cycling, climbing, dancing etc. I started running to improve my CV fitness and to be a better hiker and dancer. Now I'm starting strength training to be a better runner.

It's about finding something you enjoy. BUT. If you are feeling that lethargic after exercise then two things are going wrong - you are not eating enough to fuel it, and you are pushing the exercise too hard. Lessen the workouts, increase the fuel and work on levelling out the two.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    The ability to move is a gift. Don't waste the gift, find some form of movement you like and do it.

Yes. & it's not guaranteed to always be there.

Which reminds me. I passed a stunning fall leaf the other day. Being in a hurry, I didn't pick it up. Now the wind has blown it away and today the snow covers. Opportunity lost.

I stopped and photographed one today. :) Made me so happy.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    I used to be a jock now i am just an athletic supporter ;-)
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Just take a walk...it doesn't have to be crazy. If exercise is sucking up your time, energy and finances, something is wrong
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I guess my question is...do you even want to exercise? It just comes off sounding like you're finding every reason in the world why it wont fly for you.

Not every exercise is for everybody, but there is something everybody can find to do and enjoy. It doesn't have to cost money. It doesn't have to leave you breathless or exhausted. It doesn't have to take a lot of time. And it doesn't have to involve pull-ups....

Try some different things and find something that's fun. Or at least tolerable.... There are a ton of things out there. It is hard getting started, I'll give you that. But once you find your niche I think you just might enjoy it. That being said however, the defeatist attitude has to go because what you're doing now is talking yourself out of everything which is going to leave you stagnant.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I don't do exercise I really hate. Maybe you should find something you like?
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,425 Member
    Op, you are not alone - I hate exercising too. For all the reasons you've stated.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Is there a question?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    What's to hate about cycling down a quiet country road, breathing fresh air, taking in the scenery, listening to the birds. :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    I know lots of people have already said it, but definitely stop doing whatever you're doing if you really, really hate it! As far as the Zumba goes, who cares if the furniture shakes? Dance as if nobody is watching. I dance all over my house throughout the day, whenever the mood strikes. My fur babies are used to it, as is my husband.

I haven't seen anyone mention this in previous posts, but maybe you should also have a physical exam. Make sure you're healthy enough for the things you've been doing. Out of breath from cardio when you've been doing it awhile is a concern. Not to suggest you have anything serious, but perhaps anemic or vitamin deficiency.

I want to throw in a couple exercises that I do that are fun - disc golf and aquasize. Love workouts in the pool. Love throwing plastic frisbees at baskets with my husband (not at him). That's not just a workout, it's a blast! Last time I picked apples off a tree in the middle of the course (akin to picking up the leaf).

Carpe diem!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Lovely explanation of all that you are thinking and feeling. I'll throw in a few random thoughts.

Your final goals seem to be to portray an adult that has got it all together; one tough lady. Might it be just as important lesson to portray an adult with regular failings, who doesn't yet have it all together, but tries anyways? How would the team react if you came in and did three trembling push-ups?

I like your new plan.

Oh, by the way, with Pokemon Go I've scouted out all the local Pokestops and gyms in Wi-Fi zones. Check the library and the local colleges.
  • ChloeCoco1245
    ChloeCoco1245 Posts: 8 Member
    I recommend starting out by just doing a few walks here and there then get more into some yoga or slight abs or legs then keep growing. This will help your body feel and grow better when you ease your way into working out instead of going full force to quick. If you ever need more help don't be afraid to ask me!
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    How dare you. I kid.. But seriously, once you've been at it for a good while you'll learn to love it. It's natural to dislike doing something you suck at. I sucked at playing the piano at first now I'm f**king awesome. It takes time. And also, like someone said, don't do exercises you genuinely hate. For example squats. Atm I'm not really a big fan of squatting. So I go heavy, do a few reps and I keep it moving. Or for you, you can just cut out what you don't like completely.