Lost it before, I can do it again right?

Options
So a few years ago alongside Jillian Michaels dvds and this lovely site I lost 96lbs. I was looking and feeling so so confident and fit. Then I got complacent. I skipped workouts, had one too many high calorie days and in the space of 18 months I'd gained every single pound back. Yup and another twenty on top!

Trying to get this going again to get myself on track. Last time I was unemployed and didn't have a social life. Now I'm trying to fit this around work and my boyfriend and it's much harder. I've done it before, I can do it again.

Looking for some friends in the same situation or those with a lot to lose, I'm aiming to get down to 220lbs and reevaluate there so I've got 120lbs to lose this time around and I'll be in this for the long run. Down almost 10lbs already in the last two weeks so I'm on my way. Feel free to add me lovelies
Lynds x

Replies

• Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Take it a day at a time. Good luck on your journey.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I lost 105 pounds and it took a full year. I've been maintaining for 2 years. Don't be in a big hurry. Concentrate on getting the diet right, a slight deficit in calories with foods you like and can eat forever. Just a side note: everyone I've known who's done Jillian Michaels programs for weight loss has gained it back....no judgement, just an observation.
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it again! One day at a time, find an exercise that you love and will continue long term. Ex: walking is very much overlooked but great exercise :) I've found I love the elliptical! I have spent two years going up and down, but losing over 85 lbs.

The best thing I have done is if i "take a break", no matter how much I gain back, start again! The time will pass no matter if you gain or lose....where do you want to be in 6 months? A year? Two years?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yes! Absolutely you can!
  • bahmanygood
    bahmanygood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I lost weight and became complacent and then out of control with poor eating habits. I'm now motivated to get fit again and lose the weight. One day at a time!
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Last October I did 30 DS for 60 days and lost 38 lbs on MFP. I too was unemployed. I gained it all back for the same reasons you did. I've restarted again now. Here are the facts. We know how to get the weight off now. We LEARNED how to do it because we were immersed in the lifestyle. We had not yet learned about maintenance. Now we KNOW maintenance is necessary, and we will have to learn that too to keep the weight off this time. I hate the fact that I have to do all this part again to get the 40 lbs off, but I'm not going from 200 to 160 again. I will fight this hard to get from 160 to healthier weights, but never from a whopping 200 lbs again. That is what I have learned. Also, I QUIT my food service job this time intentionally to fucus on this. Another thing I've learned because I'm 43 now is that I don't want or need a boyfriend because it takes time away from ME. I think you already know that you can do it again, but you also know how long it will take; and, that is the real killer.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I gained 30lb back and am here losing again. If I can, you can.
  • essbe
    essbe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Same here, I wanted to post something similar to find people in the same boat but thought I'd search first in case there was already a thread for us ;)

I was 125kg (276lb), got down to 95 (209) and got complacent. Now three years later I'm 133kg (293) :-/
    Got back on the wagon from 2nd Jan and have lost 4kg (9lb) in those three weeks so planning to just chip away slowly til I'm back again... but I'm really worried that I'll just keep doing this on a three year cycle forever, now I know how easy it is to slide right back.

New supportive friends welcome please, and if anyone has done similar to me and then relost and kept it off longterm I'd love to hear about it! :)
  • LesleyEcksmann
    LesleyEcksmann Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    essbe wrote: »
    Same here, I wanted to post something similar to find people in the same boat but thought I'd search first in case there was already a thread for us ;)

I was 125kg (276lb), got down to 95 (209) and got complacent. Now three years later I'm 133kg (293) :-/
    Got back on the wagon from 2nd Jan and have lost 4kg (9lb) in those three weeks so planning to just chip away slowly til I'm back again... but I'm really worried that I'll just keep doing this on a three year cycle forever, now I know how easy it is to slide right back.

New supportive friends welcome please, and if anyone has done similar to me and then relost and kept it off longterm I'd love to hear about it! :)

Hi... I am in the same boat lost 30kg in 2007 and slowly and surely have gained it all back plus an additional 11kg! I have had quite a few false starts even losing 15kg this time last Christmas, only to gain that back too!

This is my first time here at MFP, and my first time logging food seriously, and this time I will make it to the end. I only started again yesterday, but this start feels different - I think I have got it this time.

Looking for friends to inspire and support along the way, add me if you like :)

BTW noticed you spoke in kgs first, where are you from, I'm Australian living in New Zealand...

• LesleyEcksmann
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @essbe Just looked at your profile lol... I used to live in Cairns :)
  • essbe
    essbe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm a New Zealander living in Aus!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The best plan is one that you can be consistent with and teaches you food choices/planning that will allow you to maintain your weight. Good luck.
  • Emmers5216
    Emmers5216 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be 260 pounds and I lost 60 pounds in the span of 3-4 months. Sadly I gained it all back plus some.... since January fifth I've been trying to eat better and have smaller portions. So far I'm down 12 pounds! My first goal is to get down 50 pounds, from there I'll try to lose more. One step at a time though!
  • fletchleg13
    fletchleg13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not alone in this struggle of regaining weight after losing it. Down a total of 21lbs now so I'm on my way. Really back into it after playing at it the last few months of 2016. 2017 is gonna be my year. Feel free to add me anyone for support and motivation
  • LesleyEcksmann
    Options
    essbe wrote: »
    Funny, I'm a New Zealander living in Aus!
    haha just found this.... dad was a kiwi lol,from Waitara... where are you from?

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My advice to you: As you get closer to your goal weight, start to figure out how you plan to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life. For most people, that means continuing to weigh their food and counting their calories. Over time, you may find that you can maintain without counting calories or by being a little more lax in how you count them.

Taking a diet break at some point during the weight loss phase (eating at maintenance for a week, usually) is a good way of practicing maintenance - and seeing what works for you and what doesn't - before you get there.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I lost 78lbs back in 09/2010 with this site ...then life and tragedy got in my way ( I deleted my old account) only to have gain everything I lost plus some .....I came back on Jan. 2015 I have lost 91 lbs with 30 more to go in a little over 2 years ...Absolutely you can do this ...wishing you much success ...Feel free to add me :)
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Lost 55lbs then regained 35lbs over the following year. I'm back on track and down by 10lbs, 25lbs to go. I'm so mad at myself! I think that last time I:
    1. Failed to take maintenance seriously - thought I could eat more than I could
    2. Gradually rediced my exercise
    3. Stopped weighing myself daily
    4. Eventually stopped logging altogether (which is where the big gains started)
    It's easy to see where I went wrong! Hopefully I'll do better this time.
    Good luck to everyone trying again - if at first you don't succeed...
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

This might sound backwards, but maybe being busier this time around is a blessing in disguise. It makes it more important to plan your meals ahead, manage your time, and eliminates a lot of that "bored" overeating. I know this has been true for me, anyway.

When I've been gone all day at work it sounds so good to get home, see my dog, and eat the meal I already cooked, rather than having to deal with even one more person at the drive thru or local restaurant ;)
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat lost 45lbs, had a few life bumps, gained all back. Down. 14 now though so back on track, but it. Does feel very disappointing. I'm trying not to be too hardon myself, as I really went through a difficult time.