Does it matter how many calories I burn?

Options
I keep seeing people on here who burn 600-1000 calories at the gym, when I'm only burning 250-400. Should I aim to burn more? I am eating right at or below my daily calorie allowance, so does it matter whether I burn a lot as long as I'm being active?

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I say as long as your hitting your MFP goal that you set for yourself, you are doing just fine ! If you WANT to do more, then go for it!! It will only help!
  • mroger801
    mroger801 Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm using MFP as my diary for a physician-monitored weight loss program. My doctor told me to not log in my exercise because of the impact it has on my calorie goals. I end up not "eating back" my exercise calories lost, with the hope that it helps my weight loss.
  • Foodles1
    Foodles1 Posts: 7
    Options
    *watches with interest*
  • aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    to lose a pound a week you need a 3500 calorie deficiency....so 500 a day.....this could be done with 300 calories burned and 200 calories on the food side, or so on....MFP typically sets food calories less than what you regularly eat, so burning 200-400 with a workout, you should see results :)
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor? You may be burning a lot more than ya think.
    On the other hand, some people are counting things such as cooking, cleaning and walking the dog which is kinda silly to me.