New Running Shoes ALREADY??

Options
I bought new Asic Gel Nimbus 13's in March. I average about 12-16 miles per week on them - running/walking on pavement. Could it really be time for new ones already? After only 200-250 miles? My knees and feet are bothering me. I've been told by more a few friends that its time for new shoes. I've had 2 other pair of Gel Nimbus that lasted me at least 1 year each (but my running was much more sporadic with them). What do you think?

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think that depends on how your feet feels after your run. I walk and I'm overweight so my feet always hurt (jokingly), but others will know when it's time to change as their feet will definitely tell them.
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    Yup, sounds like time for a new pair (you should try the new realflex - really comfortable).

Happy shopping.

Best.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I just managed to blow through my latest pair of Saucony in 5 weeks and 185 miles...
    If you were not having foot and knee pain and now you do, its probably time.

Look at the tread ... if its worn down to the nothing - its time for new shoes!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    They usually say 350-400 miles before you need new shoes. Are you really heavy with your step? Do you do a lot of hill running? These can increase your general wear and tear. Do you walk with them also? I used to wear my running shoes to walk to and from the office and they crapped out a lot quicker, about 250 miles of running. Truthfully, if they're hurting you, you probably need new ones.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    May be time for new ones. I got running shoes in March and just had to replace them, too.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that has worked at a running shoe store for about 5 years... I asked him how long running shoes were supposed to last and he told me that if you run a pretty consistent average of 3-4 miles 3 to 4 times a week, you should replace them every 6 months... so at the high end, you would be running like 15 miles a week for 6 months would put you a little over 400 miles before you really need new ones... but i'm sure shoes wear out differently with different people.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have heard to get new insoles about every 200 miles or so. You could just replace the insoles for $20 or less instead of buying brand new shoes for like $100...
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    Have you been fitted for shoes at a specialty store or did you just go out and buy them? If you haven't been fitted and you are running consistantly, I would definately have someone help you pick a shoe. I am not sure where you are from, but here in Texas there are few stores where they will fit you, meaning they watch you run and help you with the best shoe based how you run. It could help you a lot if you are having problems with pain.
  • gjprincess
    gjprincess Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You need a new pair of shoes. Also you may need a different model. Not neccesarily a different brand. Do you over pronate or suppinate? Either one can be contributing factors.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Do you wear them for other things other than running? Yes you should change your running shoes every 300 miles and don't wear them for everyday use nor other exercises other than walking.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Time to replace them. I do mine every 300 miles...sometimes every 250 depending on the type of shoe. If it's trail running or racing...I replace sooner because they lose their 'bounce' sooner...for training shoes...only when my feet and knees tell me to. Your best bet to to write the date you bought them on the instep on the shoe in sharpie...if you know how many miles you average a week it'll be an easy calculation to know when you need to replace them.
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice - I think I'll start shopping. I love the Nimbus shoes - and the guy at the running stor says they are the shoe for me - but perhaps I need to try something different that might be more durable!!!