I Hate Exercise

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't love exercise. I try to think of it like brushing my teeth.

Start with smaller amounts of exercise like 10 minute workouts. If your feet hurt you may need to dial back from 40 min walks/jogs even if you feel fine otherwise until they stop hurting. Maybe get different shoes. Stretch your feet. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/plantar-fasciitis/multimedia/foot-stretches-to-prevent-plantar-fasciitis/img-20008230
    There are lots of free workouts on you tube. I like Jessica Smith tv because she is positive and has a cute dog in many of her videos.
    There are dancing games like Just Dance. Maybe it would shake the house less than Zumba?
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-05-15/news/0405150286_1_floor-coffee-table-room Exercise in a basement or garage area if your floor is very bouncy or fix your floors. http://www.familyhandyman.com/floor/repair/fixing-bouncy-floors/view-all
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    OP, good for you on taking what was said to heart and really examining what's going on to try and find a solution. <3

I hope you find answers on what works for you. I'd like to add to what already said, if fatigue is really and truly a problem, maybe a physical is in order to see if there's a biological reason for this. I was suffering some incredible fatigue and I found out that I had low iron, so while I was functioning in day to day life and slept slightly more, exercise pushed me over the edge.

One more thing, I find that if I'm extra achy, I need to stretch more, deep intensive stretches and while this an immediate cure all, it does help.
  • jasinwilliams
    jasinwilliams Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You already have the answer: find something you like. I love weight lifting, so it's easy for me to go to the gym every day. If you find something you like, it'll be easy for you to stay active.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate the way I feel while I'm doing it (tired, out of breath, sometimes nauseated, achey). I hate how I feel afterward (tired and sweaty). I hate the way I feel the next several days (tired, tender, achey). I hate how much time it takes out of my days. I hate how poor it makes me feel, because gym memberships and equipment don't come cheap and most of it I can manage with bodyweight stuff and dumbbells but pull-ups just aren't a possibility.

I hate feeling weak and tired. When I don't exercise, I don't feel weak. I'm able to do everything that my day requires and I have energy for other stuff that I want to do. When I exercise, I feel tired all the time. I'm sick of it. I hate it. Did I mention that I hate it? I don't think it's possible to convey how much I hate it right now.
    Well the good news is that you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. The bad news is that if you're trying to enhance your body, other than plastic surgery, you aren't going to do it without a decent exercise program. So if you like your shape, then don't worry about exercise. Just lose body fat by being on a constant calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it. Simple as that. What time are you referring to? I finish my entire routine in just over an hour.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    How about doing your Zumba outdoors? Take your tablet, laptop, phone to the backyard and do it there. I guess it depends where you live but for us Autumn is the perfect time to work out outdoors. That might help with the shaking thing. Just a suggestion.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP, you mentioned cutting cardio and doing weights. You also mentioned not seeing results from what you were doing. Just wanted to chime in to say I saw the best results from minimizing cardio, and focusing on lifting and calories.
  • med2ironic
    med2ironic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If your feet hurt from walking it might be you don't have the right shoes for you. You could have flat feet or not have enough support. You can also take 3 ten minute walks throughout the day.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    med2ironic wrote: »
    If your feet hurt from walking it might be you don't have the right shoes for you. You could have flat feet or not have enough support. You can also take 3 ten minute walks throughout the day.

I was going to suggest the same, a trip to a good running shoe store where someone can look at your gait and make some recommendations. Also I think your running form is off if your body is compensating by stressing your lower legs. It's very important to stengthen your legs, hip muscles and core before taking on running. By the way, a weight
    lifting routine that does just that will give you a goal to shoot for when doing things like squats, deadlifts, leg presses, abductors, and ab exercises. And I would include calf stretches. Good luck!
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think turn your thoughts around, negative to positive.
    Find something that YOU enjoy, dancing, bowling, even walking around the shopping center countsvas excerise. I got bored too, now I mix
    It up, gym is definitely not for everyone. Feeling tired achey is a part of life.
    Make pain your friend! Don't make up excuses not to excerise. Slowly build up.
    Any enjoy it, smell the roses.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Your comments to people's suggestions notwithstanding, you'll never keep doing something you hate. And, you don't have to exercise to lose weight.

There are a lot of things other than formal exercise that can contribute to an active lifestyle. The bottom line is that people are healthier if they're active.

Your post let us know how much you hate exercise. I saw that you didn't ask for help, so I hope anyone who offered "solutions," doesn't get upset if you ignore them. I also hope you feel better for getting that off your chest.
  • 220Dani
    220Dani Posts: 198 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If your house is raised, have you tried low impact workouts? They don't require a bunch of jumping around so you don't have to worry about things falling down everywhere. I do them in my house and the only thing that sorta moves is this tin display case I have which moves all the time anyway.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of exercise either, but I do it because it is very beneficial to good health.
    How about walking? It is free, easy and you can do it anywhere. I started out by just walking more. Almost 2 years ago I got a gym membership and found that I like the elliptical. I still don't really enjoy exercising, but I go to the gym very early, before work, every morning and I really "love" having my exercising done for the day before I get to work. It is a big relief to have my exercising out of the way early in the day.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate the way I feel while I'm doing it (tired, out of breath, sometimes nauseated, achey). I hate how I feel afterward (tired and sweaty). I hate the way I feel the next several days (tired, tender, achey). I hate how much time it takes out of my days. I hate how poor it makes me feel, because gym memberships and equipment don't come cheap and most of it I can manage with bodyweight stuff and dumbbells but pull-ups just aren't a possibility.

I hate feeling weak and tired. When I don't exercise, I don't feel weak. I'm able to do everything that my day requires and I have energy for other stuff that I want to do. When I exercise, I feel tired all the time. I'm sick of it. I hate it. Did I mention that I hate it? I don't think it's possible to convey how much I hate it right now.

Don't go to the gym then. Just go for a walk in your town/city or out in nature. Walk at a leisurely pace. Some movement is better than nothing and you will still burn calories.

I've lost 26 pounds since mid-July and all I do is walk (but I did join a gym so I can do it in winter weather, too).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have trouble imagining hating exercise. I've been active all my life and love being active. I enjoy going to the gym, weightlifting, walking, running, hiking, cycling, swimming, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing ...

Here's a list of sports ... there are a lot of choices out there. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    OP here again! It's been almost a year, and I still hate exercising. But I think I hate it slightly less than I used to. So... Progress?

Been going to a PF 3ish times a week. Lifting is hard. Cardio is hard. Getting there, doing my thing, and getting home takes about 2 hrs. But I can do more than I could when I started.

Maybe one day I'll get to the point where instead of being a chore I have to force myself to do, I'll actually enjoy it and look forward to it. But I'm still not there yet.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OP at least you're trying. "The hard is what makes it great."
    It's hard being fat and unfit too. I know.
    "Choose your hard."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    OP here again! It's been almost a year, and I still hate exercising. But I think I hate it slightly less than I used to. So... Progress?

Been going to a PF 3ish times a week. Lifting is hard. Cardio is hard. Getting there, doing my thing, and getting home takes about 2 hrs. But I can do more than I could when I started.

Maybe one day I'll get to the point where instead of being a chore I have to force myself to do, I'll actually enjoy it and look forward to it. But I'm still not there yet.

Good show! I hope the "doing more than I could when I started" part is a bit of a reward, at least.