Struggling with running

Options
I've only just start running and after injuring my knee, I'm now trying to improve my running technique by landing more flat footed which is better for your knees?

Anyhow, I'm struggling to land mid-foot. I just cant seem to get the knack of it. I'm consciously trying to land on my leg under my body but I seem to land with my leg in front of my body. And when I do land properly, my other leg feels like it doesn't know what to do until lands! I hope that makes sense to someone!!

Any advice please?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    try leaning forward from the ankles (keeping the body straight) and keeping your steps short. You will almost be kicking behind you as you run, rather than reaching out with your leg first. It's sort of falling forward, and putting your foot down before your nose hits the ground. Sounds like you are almost braking as you run - leaning backwards.

Also think about terrain - try running on grass, and when you get some more strength into your legs moving a bit more off-road.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    this might seem odd, but a good way to practise this is to go outside to your driveway or garden, and try short distances (10-20m) barefoot. you should naturally land more forefoot then and it might help you get a feel for things
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me was working on my cadence. A high cadence encourages a short pace, that leads to a reasonable mid for plant.

That said, there is evidence suggesting that intentionally modifying gait doesn't reduce injury rate, it just changes the injury.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    this might seem odd, but a good way to practise this is to go outside to your driveway or garden, and try short distances (10-20m) barefoot. you should naturally land more forefoot then and it might help you get a feel for things

This will definitely help, it worked for me.

I also do some running drills like run a minute on my toes, hills and stairs. Keep at it, you'll eventually get it!!

Happy Running!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I agree with the bare foot suggestions. I've run barefoot on a treadmill a mile at a time, any more and your feet blister or peel. I think you can do socks on a public TM.

I'd also check the cushioning of your shoes. Do they let you feel the ground? A lot of shoes have to much cushion. You could also check the drop of your shoe. Personally, I'd shoot for ~8 not more than a 10. Everyone is different. I run in a 4- 6. Changing drop could (probably will) take some adjusting.

Keep your strides short. That will help with your landing. Knee pain can be IT band, might check that out. Also tightness in the hips, medial glute, piriformis and psoas. Men don't tend to have hip issues as often as women, but it's worth checking, especially if you've been sedentary (sitting for a living). If all fails, don't hesitate to find a physical therapist. Give yourself x date for it to be better, and follow through with help. Running clinic, pt, massage ect... There are some resources online for running strength, one that comes to mind is one on Runner's World.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.runnersworld.com/training-video/ironstrength-workout?amp

Good luck! And keep at it!

Edit- you should also own a foam roller :wink:
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Newton shoes has a video showing the good jogging technique.

I think of it as keeping my weight over my feet, not reaching forward with the feet. Smaller, quicker steps, sort of prancing, lean forward a little, so your weight is pointed in the direction you want to go. Slow down.

And another vote for testing your barefoot running, feel how your feet work when you aren't wearing shoes.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Had success tonight following some advice above by alternating between walking and running.

I ran slower (5.2mph) and took smaller steps and concentrated on landing mid-foot.

I managed 2.45 miles in 30 mins....5 mins warm-up, 10 minute jog, 5 minute brisk walk and a further 10 minute jog.

My knee currently feels fine so I'm hoping to do the same tomorrow!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Don't change your stride drastically. Land naturally. The only thing to be concerned with is over-striding. Try to land with your feet pretty much under your body.

To get the hang of not over-striding quicken your steps. Put on some headphones and listen to Pink Floyd's 'Run Like Hell'. Each beat should correspond with your foot hitting the ground.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »
    I've only just start running and after injuring my knee, I'm now trying to improve my running technique by landing more flat footed which is better for your knees?

Actually, just reflecting on this, it feels like you're trying every correction available at the moment without working out if any of them make a difference. It seems like only a couple of weeks ago you were advised to try rest and new shoes, and a week ago you'd got the new shoes. You really haven't had an opportunity to rest enough to let any latent injury resolve, or establish whether new shoes are making a difference.

I can't recall if you identified the model, but I do seem to remember you mentioned they're support/ motion control?

If that's the case then definitely don't try to modify your gait. Motion control shoes don't lend themselves to intentionally trying to modify your gait. They're intended to control your pronation.

I would also observe that you're probably not helping things by running every day.

In the various other threads that you've started you've had a lot of sound advice. You need to give something a chance to have an effect.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Had success tonight following some advice above by alternating between walking and running.

I ran slower (5.2mph) and took smaller steps and concentrated on landing mid-foot.

I managed 2.45 miles in 30 mins....5 mins warm-up, 10 minute jog, 5 minute brisk walk and a further 10 minute jog.

My knee currently feels fine so I'm hoping to do the same tomorrow!!

That's great! Now ya gotta come join the October running challenge :wink:
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'll try and add to some of the excellent things people have already recommended....

Once you find an amount of running that you can do without experiencing any abnormal pain never increase that above 10%/week. So if you can run/walk 10 miles a week pain free then don't go above 11 miles the next week, 12 the next, 13 the next, etc.. This applies to intensity as well. Don't try to run twice as fast as you did the week before. Your body has to build up it's defenses to take the pounding from running and it can't do that if you push too hard too fast. It can be frustratingly slow progress-wise but take it from a guy that is a dumb a_ss and ignores this rule too often, it almost always leads to some type injury.

Track the mileage on your shoes. They typically need to be replaced at about 350-400 miles to provide adequate cushioning. The foam begins to lose it's elasticity after that and your knees will pay for it. And go to a real running-shoe store that will video your running form and recommend a shoe that suits it. You'll pay a bit more but it's worth it.

Good luck.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Anyhow, I'm struggling to land mid-foot. I just cant seem to get the knack of it. I'm consciously trying to land on my leg under my body but I seem to land with my leg in front of my body. And when I do land properly, my other leg feels like it doesn't know what to do until lands! I hope that makes sense to someone!!

Any advice please?

Take it slow, get some good running shoes. I can't stress taking it slow enough. I started running last year myself and since then I've run (2)10k races, (2) half marathons and a 5k race. I'm training for the LA marathon now. Take it slow and enjoy. Listen to your body.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    A metronome will help you with speeding up your cadence, thus producing a shorter stride. Typically, you want to work towards 180 (or more) spm.

If you can see your foot in front of you when you are running, you are running with too big a stride.

If you are landing correctly, it should be hard to hear you running.