5'8" - 5'9" - ladies what are your weight goals?

Options

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and have a medium/large frame, although a few people have told me I have little hips.
  • brooke88z
    brooke88z Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You really need to develop your core and back muscles to help alleviate pain. Rather than be the lowest weight possible. Absent any medical reasons for back pain of course and with doctor approval a progressive resistance programme (see fitness boards ad nauseum) will help more than being an extremely low weight

I will probably end up doing that. I would like to see first what difference weight loss makes. I like to isolate variables when it comes to what makes a difference. I also find it hard to stick to an exercise program. But I'm sure I'll eventually have no choice. My skinny dad has managed his back issues fairly well throughout his life, but as he's aged, it's gotten noticeably worse. I'll try everything eventually.

• Blondieee00
    Blondieee00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    5'9" my goal is 125-130. I am very small framed ( 3.5 inch wrists)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    5'9" my goal is 125-130. I am very small framed ( 3.5 inch wrists)

I've seen that before. Mine are 7", I'd love to photograph our wrists together and save it fit when people say there's no such thing as frame size differences!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I know I posted earlier on this thread, but I thought I'd share some updates because I am honestly undecided about my weight now.

I have profound scoliosis, and have lost 5" of height due to that since I was 16 (I am 38). My lowest ribs nearly touch my hipbones. I was crushed today to measure in at 5'8" when I should be 6'1".

I had initially set a goal of 180. I lowered that to 165, and am nearly there, as I hit 166 last week. That would have put me in healthy range for 5'9", but now I was down an inch (probably a rounding thing) and I would have to drop to 160 to weigh in under the BMI of 25 while clothed as the Dr. Office weight is the only one that counts for insurance.

The thing is, I think I look great. My family thinks I'm getting too thin as I have a history of disordered eating in my teens. And logically I realize nothing about my body has changed; my skeleton is that of a 6'1" woman, as are my organs and muscles and everything else. Plus I am large framed. If I didn't have a spine that decided to act like a corkscrew, my weight would put me at a BMI of 21.9

I don't know if I want to push my weight down further just to make the government happy. I don't even know at this point if I should.

ucsgamcdvehj.jpg
    (Me last week, wearing size 8 jeans and measuring 37-28-38)

You look good. I think you aren't anywhere near too skinny but also not too fat - if you are really 6'1" before the scoliosis, you should ask your doctor for some sort of exemption, if your health provider or life insurance is trying to gouge you based on an incorrect height measurement. Tell them to measure you hanging upside down, or laying flat!

If you can't get your doctor to fix the height measurement, and it's just a few lb, I would suggest you treat the Dr visit like a wrestling competition where you need to drop a few pounds to get into a weight class, if you are getting charged more for those few pounds - plan for it and drop the weight for the visit each year.

About the ribs and hipbones thing, mine are only about 1.5" apart at most and my back is reasonably straight. You have better waist definition than I do, LOL.

Thanks. I'm frustrated because I DID plan and work hard, then was screwed over by my period plus a loss of height.

I've always had an hourglass figure, and a very long torso. My whole family have long torsos (most long sleeve shirts are 3/4 length on me). My waist is a full inch wider than it was at this weight & hip measurement at age 19, so I can see the effect of the torso shortening. The description on my xrays is "profound levorotary scoliosis" of both the thoracic and lumbar spine. I understand the need to be lean to take stress off my back, I guess my real annoyance is worth government policies that punish individuals based on statistical averages.
  • juneynoony2016
    juneynoony2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    5.9/athletic, but pear shaped. tend to hover around 150-155 when I am not watching what I eat.. Made it down to 140 once, but 145 is probably a more reasonable goal weight for me.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    5'8"

I've been as low as 130 (too thin) and as high as 182.

I'm currently 144 with a goal of 138. I'm hoping to lose the last few pounds around my midsection.

I'm 148 in the profile pic.
  • alush08
    alush08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 1/2 my current weight is 195 started at 204 and my goal is to get back to 150. I'm medium build so anything less than that looks too skinny. I'm lifting heavy these days so if I got to 160 with some good muscle I'd be happy. I want to be a size 7 again!
  • lapinu390
    lapinu390 Posts: 46 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good luck everyone :)
  • insidetheinsane
    insidetheinsane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Currently hovering around 144 trying to get back down to 130. I was happiest at 125. The jump into adult life and a long term relationship put me at my heaviest at 147 a couple months ago.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know I posted earlier on this thread, but I thought I'd share some updates because I am honestly undecided about my weight now.

I have profound scoliosis, and have lost 5" of height due to that since I was 16 (I am 38). My lowest ribs nearly touch my hipbones. I was crushed today to measure in at 5'8" when I should be 6'1".

I had initially set a goal of 180. I lowered that to 165, and am nearly there, as I hit 166 last week. That would have put me in healthy range for 5'9", but now I was down an inch (probably a rounding thing) and I would have to drop to 160 to weigh in under the BMI of 25 while clothed as the Dr. Office weight is the only one that counts for insurance.

The thing is, I think I look great. My family thinks I'm getting too thin as I have a history of disordered eating in my teens. And logically I realize nothing about my body has changed; my skeleton is that of a 6'1" woman, as are my organs and muscles and everything else. Plus I am large framed. If I didn't have a spine that decided to act like a corkscrew, my weight would put me at a BMI of 21.9

I don't know if I want to push my weight down further just to make the government happy. I don't even know at this point if I should.

ucsgamcdvehj.jpg

You look good. I think you aren't anywhere near too skinny but also not too fat - if you are really 6'1" before the scoliosis, you should ask your doctor for some sort of exemption, if your health provider or life insurance is trying to gouge you based on an incorrect height measurement. Tell them to measure you hanging upside down, or laying flat!

If you can't get your doctor to fix the height measurement, and it's just a few lb, I would suggest you treat the Dr visit like a wrestling competition where you need to drop a few pounds to get into a weight class, if you are getting charged more for those few pounds - plan for it and drop the weight for the visit each year.

About the ribs and hipbones thing, mine are only about 1.5" apart at most and my back is reasonably straight. You have better waist definition than I do, LOL.

I also think that you look great! You looked great many pounds ago as well.

I agree with the previous poster- push for an exemption or go in light shorts and a tank top and drop down until you get your exemption.

Silly bmi rules!
  • jld1975
    jld1975 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my goal weight is 158. I doubt I will stay there- 165ish seems to be a weight I can maintain. I am currently 176 after several injuries and health issues. I do have a large frame, and I look skinny at 158 and wear a size 6 (or 4 in vanity sizing) at that weight, which I will like for a while. At 165 I am a comfortable 8, which is what most of the clothes in my closet are. I am 41.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", my goal was 140lb, then it was 135lb (starting weight 168). I am currently down to 132lb, and no goal now as such, though I would quite like to keep going until I get to 9 stone which is 126lb.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

ucsgamcdvehj.jpg

Thanks. I'm frustrated because I DID plan and work hard, then was screwed over by my period plus a loss of height.

I've always had an hourglass figure, and a very long torso. My whole family have long torsos (most long sleeve shirts are 3/4 length on me). My waist is a full inch wider than it was at this weight & hip measurement at age 19, so I can see the effect of the torso shortening. The description on my xrays is "profound levorotary scoliosis" of both the thoracic and lumbar spine. I understand the need to be lean to take stress off my back, I guess my real annoyance is worth government policies that punish individuals based on statistical averages.

It's not the government, in the US at least, they just *allow* some plans to set rates based on weight as a risk factor, there is no mandate that they must. They do it because it makes them more money. BMI tables were developed off insurance risk tables, they aren't some sort of government conspiracy. The insurance through my work only considers smoking, because for employer based plans they are regulated and not allowed to do risk class on weight, so I get no discount for being thin or light.

Your measurements, by the way, are very close to mine and I am under 140 at 5'9" so I think your body does still work like a six footer, not someone shorter. 38 is quite slim for hips on a 6'1" woman so I don't even think you have a large frame, you are getting f*cked by the scoliosis. Your ratios of waist to height and waist to hips are great. Your doctor needs to take your insurance plan into account when doing the screening, like my fiance's doctor with his "your blood pressure is high today, but I am not putting HBP in your chart because that might raise your insurance rates, just keep an eye on it and make sure it does come down."

Of course you do know that if the government goes ahead and says "tomteboda's plan, you may not build different rates based on BMI" like they do with my plan, that won't really make it cheaper, the companies will just adjust everyone upward to cover the cost of the obesity. That's what insurance is - they want to make money, and will push to the edges of what they are allowed to do, always.

Oh and I am with you on the 3/4 length sleeves. I need tall shirts more than tall pants inseam, the sleeves on women's shirts are crazy short and aargh I am always pulling shirts down to cover the gap that always forms between the pants and the shirt, and stretching them lengthwise when they come out of the washer!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and my goal is 150-175 lbs.
  • maria00200
    maria00200 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow isn't anyone short like me? Lol. I'm 5'3" and goal weight is at least 140, maybe 135.
  • cbmom2013
    cbmom2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'10 - 40 yrs old. Starting weight 160, currently 145, and goal 140. I'm a medium frame. My lowest weight about 10 years ago was 135 lbs, but I have come to realize that's a little too small to maintain. I'm happiest between around 145. I eat 1200 mostly clean calories per day (eat comfort foods on weekends when desired) & do pilates/strength training daily without eating back the calories burned. I feel great and in a solid size 6. Hope this helped! Best wishes to you on your journey!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and have a medium/large frame, although a few people have told me I have little hips.

I get this a lot, too, but I have very big shoulders and don't carry as much weight in my hips as I do in some other places. I also have unusually small wrists and ankles for my frame.

I'm 5'10" and my goal right now is a muscular 170-180. It's still around the overweight range but I'll see from there. That weight makes me look solid, not fat or thin. I have a large frame and start looking deathly ill at 145lbs. In high school I was 132lbs and was dancing ballet over 30 hours a week, so I know that's nowhere near a natural setpoint for me.
  • Sandrico71
    Sandrico71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and the "first phase" of my weight is to be 155 lbs. I am currently at 169 lbs. Not certain "how" I got here as I am pretty active and eat healthy. The next phase is to reach 135 lbs. Apparently for my height and body structure this should be okay. Interestingly enough this is what I weighed in HS [132 lbs].