Peanut Butter? Yum...

Options
Is crunchy peanut butter bad for you? I usually grab 2 tablespoon-fulls to enjoy as a snack. I'm thinking it must be bad because it tastes sooo good.

I can't eat fresh peanuts, because I have a hard time stopping and eat way more than my calorie allowance. But, I love having my scoop of peanut butter as a snack.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• rubytuesdaynz
    Options
    I thought small amounts were good for you becuase PB contains the good fats - I usually eat a tbsp spread on celery sticks - it does taste good though - sometimes I have trouble stopping at the tbsp!
  • aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    depends on the pb....some are loaded with lots of crap.....i chose organic pb
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine...are you eating natural peanut butter? If not then I suggest you switch to that so you don't have all the not so good additives. But, as long as you count the calories and stay within your daily allowance it is all good in my book :)
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    190 calories for 2 TBSP. I am so addicted I have to hide it from myself or refrigerate it ( I don't like it cold!) I am going to buy PB2 I hear it is a pretty good alternative. Peanut butter is ok for a sometimes snack but it is usually high in sugar and fat.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    190 calories for 2 TBSP. I am so addicted I have to hide it from myself or refrigerate it ( I don't like it cold!) I am going to buy PB2 I hear it is a pretty good alternative. Peanut butter is ok for a sometimes snack but it is usually high in sugar and fat.

I tried the PB2 and didn't like it at all. Everyone's different, you may like it.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    everything in moderation.....
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    all natural PB is awesome, check my diary I eat it almost every day.

The ingredients should include "Roasted Peanuts"

Uhhh, yep that's all

Try Almond butter too. Equally delish.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    PB2 is great... a little bit thinner texture but overall a great substitute if you are looking to save cals
  • eamjohnson
    eamjohnson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will go on record as saying that I love peanut butter as well. I usually have it at least every other day on some whole grain English muffins with bananas. Super good.

As with all things, however, peanut butter should be enjoyed in moderation. It has unsaturated fats, which are good for you. If you eat natural peanut butter, instead of your typical peanut butter, even better: it's doesn't have added sugar.

But, if you're only having a couple of tablespoons as a snack, it isn't going to kill you.

Stick to your daily caloric limits and you'll be just fine!
  • lalalazzz
    Options

I tried the PB2 and didn't like it at all. Everyone's different, you may like it.

what don;t you like? is the texture weird? i probably wont like it either!
  • lalalazzz
    Options

what don;t you like? is the texture weird? i probably wont like it either!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I love PB2 also! It's great in chocolate protein shakes for a little added fiber and peanut buttery taste!

www.bellplantation.com
  • 2melka
    2melka Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you live near a Costco? Their Kirkland brand organic peanut butter is the best...just dry roasted peanuts and salt. The trick is you have to STIR IT the first time you open it before you put it in the fridge. If you don't the peanut butter will be very hard to spread. It is really the best "good for you" peanut butter ...it taste more like the big name brands like Jif and Skippy but w/ out the added hydro oils etc.....
  • lalalazzz
    Options
    BTW I just logged it for breakfast tomorrow, I have a serious PB PROB!
  • EMez
    EMez Posts: 1
    Options
    I love peanut butter too! Just my opinion here, but I don't call any food "bad" unless it's spoiled or toxic. If you mean PB has a lot of calories, you're right on that, but if it's something you really enjoy and satisfies you as a snack, why not eat it? If it's really the peanuts you enjoy (and I'm right with you on that too), I'd look at the ingredients in your PB to make sure it's just peanuts and not hydrogenated oils, because those trans fats could probably be called toxic :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike peanut butter. I never ate it.... until I started living healthier. A few weeks into my healthier lifestyle, I started craving peanut butter. After a few days of going "wow, this is weird" I finally gave in... Now I eat 2-3 tablespoons a week! (not all at once -- I usually eat 1 to 1.5 teaspoons) Strange, huh?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and feel deprived if I don't eat some every day. I'll be honest though, my favorite is the peter pan vitamin fortified. My only real requirement is that it not contain high fructose corn syrup.
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... never heard of PB2. Do you get that from an organic food market? Or, will it be in a regular grocery store? Any brand okay?
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the odd ball, I HATE peanut butter....OH my just makes me shiver thinking about it...Its a texture thing but my son is likeyou he eats spoonfuls each day !! I think its protein
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had a half tablespoon each on two large wheat crackers just last night as my snack.. loved it. So for a tablespoon total, I got to scratch my peanut butter itch.