Diet Fatigue

Options
Those of you who have been doing this for a while, how do you overcome diet fatigue? I've been doing this for a year but the last 3-4 months I've been maintaining and my motivation has seriously waned. What do you do to get back in the game?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I take a diet break if it's that bad. Maintenance for two weeks.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I get disheartened when I read posts like this. I'll share what I have done. I just consider myself at maintenance already. What i'm doing now to lose is truly what I have to do when i reach my goal. Look at it as you are at goal right now.. and just don't gain. Stay where you are..and when you feel refreshed maybe go for losing another five pounds.. maintain there until you feel like losing another five. Good luck...you can do this!

This is where I'm at as well. I am at goal, but my doctor said I could still lose a few more pounds. I eat at maintenance (haven't truly figured that number out yet) for a few days, then drop it down to lose a half pound a week. As long as the scale doesn't go up, I'm content.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Change up what you eat-but still stay within calorie goals. Try some new foods. add some new exercise. Remind yourself how far you have come.
    Not a diet but a lifestyle change.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Change up what you eat-but still stay within calorie goals. Try some new foods. add some new exercise. Remind yourself how far you have come.
    Not a diet but a lifestyle change.

This
  • motivatekait
    motivatekait Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can tell you in my experience, mini "diet breaks" have been nothing but beneficial for my progress. Of course it depends on the individual but for me, like once a month or so I'll just loosen the reigns for a couple days and eat whatever I feel and then the days following I usually eat lower than I would normally (1000-1200cals) for probably 3 days before I get back up to around 1400. Almost every single time I've had this pattern of untracked days(which always makes me want healthy food again) followed by a few low days, I hit my lowest weigh in by the end of the week. I do this whenever I find I'm plateauing or just mentally exhausted and it really just puts the spark back in me.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals once a week is how I get myself through each day! It also makes me feel even more grateful and more satisfactory when I have to wait for my cheat meal, and when I feel like breaking out of my diet, I stop myself because I know I would feel really guilty afterwards. Just a horrible feeling to deal with.

You may also want to change your recipes, you could try cooking foods of different cuisines (with a bit of modification to lower calories, such as cauliflower fried rice instead of actual rice). It won't feel like a diet if it's filling and tasty right?

Changing up your exercise is also a good idea, perhaps something that gets you to lose a lot of calories so that you can allow yourself to eat more. I tend to push myself further on cheat meal days so that I don't feel as guilty eating the ice cream when I know I've lost 100 more calories than usual on the treasmill that day.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Great job, getting back into it. I needed this thread today so thanks for posting!
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread read, I am not there yet (this time), but have been in the past and these are all good ideas for the future me. Just an observation in myself: two events that seem to precede me falling off the wagon are a holiday when I have eaten too much or when my allergies are bad. I am post menopausal, and I am sure for most of us hormones play a big roll, as well. I have no insight into fighting diet fatigue, as I have lost the fight in the past, but thru your help and inspiration hope to win when it happens to me in the future. Good luck, hang in there and win!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this all year. I'm finally on track again, but not by counting calories. What I've done instead is to pick something that I want to do that REALLY calls to me. Something that is really challenging that I know I can do, but only if I can manage to keep taking steps towards an active vegetable-filled lifestyle. For me, this big huge goal is the Niagara Ragnar next year. Once I decided I wanted to do it, it made me start questioning my food choices again. I still make poor choices, but I'm making a lot less of them because I want to do this race more than I want to eat. This doesn't really have me focused on a weight number, but rather on developing a body that will allow me to be active. The weight loss will inevitably be a side affect of that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!