Gluten Free?

Any pros and cons of gluten free food? Trying to lose weight and maintain lean muscle?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Gluten free is great if you are intolerant to gluten. Gluten free food has absolutely no bearing on losing weight and maintaining lean muscle. Quite often, it is higher calorie and less palatable than the regular version.

^^This

Not to mention, more expensive! Go check out some of the prices on gluten free products..yikes!
    If you're trying to maintain muscle, you're best to focus more on just getting enough protein, as well as cutting calories for weight loss (and lifting heavy things, of course. :smile: )
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I am gluten and grain free. If you don't need to then I wouldn't advise it. If you do decide on elimination gluten/wheat, then replace them with whole foods and grains like rice, oats and quinoa. The gf substitute treats are disappointing and expensive (except for rice pasta)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Not just that but many gluten-free convenience foods are *loaded* with various processed starches and gums and emulsifiers.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I honestly don't understand those who go gluten free without any medical need to do so. Gluten is in flipping everything, it's a total nightmare to avoid and as above, using GF products is hideously expensive. If you're not intolerant there's really no need to do it.

A friend of mine is on an elimination diet for IBS, and has to restrict gluten because of it. She says the same thing..she would never choose that lifestyle on purpose and doesn't understand people who do. She hates it.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Gluten free is also great if you are trying to lose weight because it is one of the ways a ketogenic diet is followed. My doctor put me on a ketogenic diet to reduce inflammation and lose weight. I love it because I'm not hungry on it. You can look in to "keto paleo" to learn more. I recommended professional help for starting keto.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Also to be truly gluten free you have to eliminate sources of contamination like fries cooked in the same vat as onion rings and corn tortillas warmed in the same press as flour. Just eating foods with no gluten doesn't make you gluten free it's way more complicated than that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Pros: if you have gluten intolerance or celiac you will feel physically better
    cons: you miss out on many delicious foods, and more food label work than it's worth. In many cases it does not cause spontaneous calorie reduction, so weight loss is not guaranteed.
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    Gluten free is also great if you are trying to lose weight because it is one of the ways a ketogenic diet is followed. My doctor put me on a ketogenic diet to reduce inflammation and lose weight. I love it because I'm not hungry on it. You can look in to "keto paleo" to learn more. I recommended professional help for starting keto.

Just a quick note. When I tried keto in the past I used some recipes that had vital wheat gluten. That's as far from gluten free as you could get. A ketogenic diet controls carbs, not gluten.

ezx9mtygklc9.png
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2016
    The gluten free diet is not for weight loss but rather a necessity for health in some people. About 1% of all people have celiac, and possibly up to 25% have a gluten sensitivity. If you are not have symptoms (anemia, anxiety, fatigue, stomach upset, arthralgias, hair loss) you most likely don't need to be GF. If you suspect a gluten sensitivity of some sort, get tested for celiac before going GF because if you want to test in the future you will need to resume eating gluten for -12 weeks.

All that being said, I think cutting grains (out or down) from the diet is a often a good tool for weight loss, especially if your diet is healthy already. Grains are often a used as a filler, and those losing weight need less filling up. Cutiing back on, or eliminating, pasta, toast, muffins, croutons, and pancakes makes more sense to me than cutting back on meats and veggies. KWIM?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I switched to GF pasta for a while then realized it was total pasta calories I need to cut, not pasta made from flour. I did briefly get the benefit of feeling virtuous for eating something that didn't taste as good as what I actually wanted to eat. I'm prepping for a move and fixing to get rid of some brown rice spaghetti and quinoa spirals on freecycle.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    All the above. Eat it if you can!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Also to be truly gluten free you have to eliminate sources of contamination like fries cooked in the same vat as onion rings and corn tortillas warmed in the same press as flour. Just eating foods with no gluten doesn't make you gluten free it's way more complicated than that.

Yep, this too. I have a friend who is celiac and eating out is an absolute nightmare because she has to check if they understand about cross contamination as well as just using gluten free produce. It is not something to do as a lifestyle choice at all.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

Yep, this too. I have a friend who is celiac and eating out is an absolute nightmare because she has to check if they understand about cross contamination as well as just using gluten free produce. It is not something to do as a lifestyle choice at all.

Exactly! If you lose weight on a gluten free diet it's probably because you're eating out less and not finding palatable versions of your favorite gluten foods.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    The 30lb I gained back were all after my allergies were diagnosed and I had gone gluten free.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Have you been diagnosed with celiacs disease? If not then there is no gain to a gluten free diet.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Agreed with most here. Going gluten free won't cause weight loss. Gluten is a protein. The reason why celiacs lose weight when they're first diagnosed and stop eating gluten is due to the inflammation going away.
    kshatriyo wrote: »

No. Vital wheat gluten is used in many keto recipes. You do know the gluten is a protein and not a carb, right @kshatriyo?

Oh, I see @amusedmonkey has already mentioned this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited October 2016
    if you want to lose weight and maintain mass then you need to eat in a small deficit = about 250 calorie deficit..get on a structured lifting program, and keep protein high = .7 to 1 grams per pound of body weight.

gluten has nothing to do with it, unless you have a gluten intolerance, allergy.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Agree with all the above. Diagnosed Celiac in the last 18 months - nope wouldn't want to do it without reason. Now cut back on it, because the more I read, the more I think its not that great for anyone, great, but don't do it as a "lose weight" plan.
    FYI... I've somehow gained 10 pounds since being gluten free and I Don't eat a lot of cakes/cookies/etc with all the other ingredients to be GF......