When to invest in new clothes?

Options
I have been on my postpartum weight loss journey for the last 7 months. At the moment I am about 14 lbs away from my goal weight. I am 5'9 and currently weigh 154 lbs and my goal weight is 140 lbs. I haven't bought much in the way of clothes because I have been saving all of my pennies to go on a shopping spree once I hit my goal weight(I think I should hit it around the new year). I have pants that fit because I used to be this size pre-pregnancy but I am very low of shirts(my old shirts are worn out and outdated). I only have 2 that I like wearing out places.

Anyways, my question is, given the fact that I have limited funds, should I limp along with what I have until I reach my goal weight or will 15 lbs not make too much of a difference in the size of clothes I am wearing? I don't want to waste money that could be used for building a new awesome wardrobe. For what it's worth, I currently wear a size small in shirts and a size 8 in pants and I tend to carry most of my weight from my belly button downward. Any experiences?

Replies

• terrinicole366
    terrinicole366 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same myself so I just go to second hand shops and yard sales until I get to my goal weigh so I'm really not wasting slot of money on clothes I'm not going to fit after a while
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would buy shirts now. In general, what we consider our trouble spots, or places where we carry most weight, are the ones that shrink in size more toward the end of weight loss. My guess is that your upper body will shrink a bit more but not so much that shirts you buy now will be unusable at your goal weight.

Best of luck to you!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Goodwill or other second hand shops can fill your wardrobe in if you aren't ready for the nice pieces.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    This is me as well. Even from the first 13 lbs I've lost, my pants are falling off me, but I don't want to spend much on new clothes when I still have 15-20 lbs to lose. I might have to break down and buy some from a consignment store like Plato's Closet.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    yeah, my pants look large and sloppy for now, but def not going to blow money until I am further down to goal. I'm normally very fashion conscious and this bugs me, but $$$ is a motivating factor. If you are in a city, some places rent clothes as a lady friend does that for work attire.
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I second going to Goodwill or other second hand shops. Depending on the neighborhood they're in, you can get some really nice things very cheaply.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Afaik, 10lb is the difference between clothing sizes, however, the difference may only be seen in the clothing, and not on the scales.

I'd also be a fan of pre-loved clothes, and have gotten a few, 'brand new with tags' items from second hand shops.

I'd agree with murphy155 - the nicer the neighborhood (as a guide) then the nicer the clothes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    +1 to the resale shops or even Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Personally - partly because I hate to shop - for transitional clothing I'd put a priority on getting a small number of very basic/versatile items, and consider ones that will work flexibly for a while. For just one example, looser-cut soft-fabric dress pants, maybe with a drawstring, that just fit now, will work for a while, vs. super-fitted ones that will be obviously baggy in just a few pounds.

Personally, I found that there were fewer pounds between sizes the smaller I got. (I started at US misses 20 jeans a few years back, but the most recent run was from around 16 womens in April 2015 to 4 petite now. The last few sizes were pretty close together time-wise, even though I was intentionally slowing my weight loss rate.)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are (climate) but Old Navy has cardigan for $19.99 that you can wear over a t shirt and dress up with a scarf. Machine washable too.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I made the mistake of buying clothes 1/2 way through my loss and wasted a lot of money!
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the very least leave it until you're desperate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a couple shirts at Target or something.

Honestly I ended up buying a bunch of clothes when I was 10 pounds from my goal because they would still fit later... I never even reached my goal (but lost inches) and still ended up having to get rid of them because they were too big. So yeah, I'd wait before spending more than that.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My go to is Goodwill, also. In fact both my husband and I have purchased almost all of our clothes there for a long time now. I bought a really cute pair of size 6 jeans for $3 and an adorable blazer that was on sale for $1.75 last weekend. Lots of styles and sizes and when they no longer fit, donate them back!
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My problem is pants/jeans. When I gain or lose weight, it's mostly in the bottom half of my body. My upper half doesn't really change substantially, with the exception that I lose some boob. So, I've lost almost 20 pounds since the end of July. All of my jeans are loose. Being that it's coming into winter and I wear a lot of long sweaters and sweater-coats, I am going to do the leggings and tall boots look with long sweaters and jackets until I get where I want to be. Leggings are cheap and forgiving, and they make higher-end ones with side seams like pants, in cordoroy and thicker fabrics, that are office-appropriate. I am looking to lose about 15 more pounds and figure (given the holidays coming...I don't go crazy but no way in hell am I staying within my 1200 calorie limit) that I'll get there around the end of February. Warmer weather starts coming in March....perfect time to buy summery clothes in my new size. I also wear dresses and skirts to work, but I favor wrap-styles. Those are also very forgiving - you can gain or lose 20+ pounds before one of those no longer fits or looks nice. I got into wrap styles when I was pregnant, and those saved me from wasting a lot of money on maternity and nursing clothes.

Ditto to Goodwill and consignment shops. The town I live in borders some fairly wealthy areas, and if you hit resale stores there, you can find some nice designer things (lots of times with store tags still on!) for less than you'd pay in Walmart. I don't feel so bad when I have to rehome something that I only paid $10 for. I do consignment even when I'm not looking to lose weight. No one knows where I got my clothes....and it's smart to not pay full price for anything if you can help it.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yeah I've wasted a fair amount on intermediate-loss clothes, I got all excited and bought a load of things that are too big now, textbook, schoolboy error. Should've just wrapped some sheets around me for a few weeks.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 lbs and simply had to invest in new stuff. When that became loose, I took stuff to my tailor and she was able to alter stuff to last a long time. Some were altered twice, if I really liked it. But yeah, I did do some throwaway purchases for over the summer as I knew I wouldnt be wearing them next year, and wear lots of sweaters to nurse some shirts or Ts along until the final pounds are gone.
  • jps2222
    jps2222 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm another big fan of Value Village and other secondhand stores. It can take some work to find things you like, but when you're only paying $3-$10 for most things it's a great way to keep yourself looking and feeling good while you're just passing through a size (or two or three).
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I go to my local savers.com every few months and spend maybe $50 on 4 or so new dress slacks, a couple dress shirts, a pair of jeans, and perhaps a tie or two. It's soooo convenient, and I've bought expensive name-brand clothes for pennies on the dollar. While I view it as a pain to select and try on clothes, I'm so happy when I integrate them into my closet :smiley:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've been doing Goodwill.
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Goodwill or other second hand shops can fill your wardrobe in if you aren't ready for the nice pieces.

I've been doing Goodwill. There are plenty of "nice pieces" available there. Earlier this summer I got a $150 Badgley Mischka bathing suit from last years collection for $3.50. Nothing wrong with Goodwill (and other consignment) even if you are "ready for the nice pieces".

ETA: Sorry about the duplicates. I was getting error messages saying it wasn't posting and gave up. Came back and spam city. Joy. Sent report to have them deleted.