Early morning gym sessions, do you eat before them?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have a granola bar on the way to the gym and a shake on the way out. That's pretty much it for breakfast.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    nope. I'm at crossfit at 5:30 and I never eat before. 1 cup of coffee and some water before and during. Then, I eat after.

I agree that you should do what feels good for you. I never eat but my husband always gets up earlier than me and eats something about 200-300 calories or so.
  • Lulaica
    Lulaica Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast before I go out on my runs. But I'm also usually up and moving for an hour and a half before I head out to workout. If I were to immediately go out after getting out of bed, I don't eat until I get back (I used to do this prior to some major life changes that noe allow me to workout later in the morning).
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's not that you should- it's personal preference usually based around performance. If you struggle, do. If not, carry on.
  • romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't, I'm barely awake as it is LOL. I just have my Pre-Workout drink and then eat a protein bar afterwards.

But as previous commenters have stated...if you feel like you need it to complete your workout then yes eat. If you would be eating just to eat then I say hold off until after your workout.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't have the will to eat before an early morning workout session. I'm still basically a walking zombie at that point. But once the workout is over, I'm hangry, so I make sure I bring something with me to eat for the ride to work.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do Orangetheory at 7:30am most days and do not eat before. I learned when I was young that if i eat before a hard run, I get all gross and burpy and feel like i might puke.

I do use a pre-workout. I'm not a morning person and the pre-workout seems to give me enough caffeine and focus to get through a tough hour. I went with a brand recommended by a friend who is a fitness model and recently had some health issues due to the supplements her coach was giving her. She found that this one was relatively "clean" and didn't send her vitals out of whack.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a banana before my 6ams. I've found it gives me a quick boost!
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Blech. No way.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Usually not, because my early sessions are before 5am and if I eat before that, I find I run out of calories and am hungry before bedtime, which sucks. If I am lifting really heavy, or dragging and need energy, I might have a protein shake mixed with water, or a single egg beforehand to pad my stomach. Never a full breakfast, though. Overall I've gotten used to fasted workouts, and I prefer them.