Should you weigh yourself everyday?

Options

Replies

• Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    I like having daily data points. I compare each day's reading to the prior day and to the same day of the prior week. It works for me, but I don't let any single day swing bother me.

You said you are taking Phentermine. I'm not a fan of pills to assist weight loss, but that is another thread.
    Let me add that I had been going to kickboxing, and trying to eat better and wasn't losing any weight. It was very disappointing. I have no thyroid problems or anything so as a last ditch effort, my dr put me on it just as a jump start with weight loss. If this doesn't work, the next option will be weight loss surgery and that's the LAST thing I want.

Have you tried weighing and logging everything you put in a your mouth on this site? I have PCOS which can make things challenging, but the best and easiest thing that I did was to weigh and log everything. If you haven't tried that, try it for at least a month. See what results you get with that. You said you were eating better, but you sometimes need to weigh out and log everything to truly get your calories in down.

Just a suggestion :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like having daily data points. I compare each day's reading to the prior day and to the same day of the prior week. It works for me, but I don't let any single day swing bother me.

You said you are taking Phentermine. I'm not a fan of pills to assist weight loss, but that is another thread.
    Let me add that I had been going to kickboxing, and trying to eat better and wasn't losing any weight. It was very disappointing. I have no thyroid problems or anything so as a last ditch effort, my dr put me on it just as a jump start with weight loss. If this doesn't work, the next option will be weight loss surgery and that's the LAST thing I want.

Unless you are morbidly obese to the point where your life is at risk day to day due to your weight not sure surgery is something you should even consider. I'm guessing that if you take kickboxing classes that you are not in that state.

I don't know much about phentermine, I assume its an appetite suppressant as that is what pretty much all diet pills are (exception would be the kind that make your body not digest fats as well). One thing I will say about that is that there is no such thing as "kickstarting" weight loss. If you can't lose weight without an appetite suppressant you aren't going to just to lose weight when you come off of it. If you learn habits with the aid of an appetite suppressant you will then require that appetite suppressant which is not going to be sustainable. Even if you reach your goal on that suppressent when you eventually come off of it (which you will have to at some point) you will likely put the weight back on because you didn't learn the habits neccessary to maintain your lower weight while not on appetite suppressants.

You need to learn to lose weight without the aid of appetite suppressants if you are to be able to maintain your weight when you hit your goal. Taking appetite suppressants now honestly is just going to delay you from learning the habits you will actually need to attain your goal. I know its frustrating but shortcuts are just going to end up hurting you in the end.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Are you tracking your intake on MFP?
  • Bearbo27
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Unless you are morbidly obese to the point where your life is at risk day to day due to your weight not sure surgery is something you should even consider. I'm guessing that if you take kickboxing classes that you are not in that state.

I don't know much about phentermine, I assume its an appetite suppressant as that is what pretty much all diet pills are (exception would be the kind that make your body not digest fats as well). One thing I will say about that is that there is no such thing as "kickstarting" weight loss. If you can't lose weight without an appetite suppressant you aren't going to just to lose weight when you come off of it. If you learn habits with the aid of an appetite suppressant you will then require that appetite suppressant which is not going to be sustainable. Even if you reach your goal on that suppressent when you eventually come off of it (which you will have to at some point) you will likely put the weight back on because you didn't learn the habits neccessary to maintain your lower weight while not on appetite suppressants.

You need to learn to lose weight without the aid of appetite suppressants if you are to be able to maintain your weight when you hit your goal. Taking appetite suppressants now honestly is just going to delay you from learning the habits you will actually need to attain your goal. I know its frustrating but shortcuts are just going to end up hurting you in the end.

^^^This

My mom got the gastric bypass done because of some major medical issues that had to be addressed right away. It has not been an easy road for sure. You literally can not have caffeine, carbonated beverages, sugar, white bread/rice/pasta. She must chew her food to death and is not allowed to drink liquid within 30 minutes of eating. She has been dealing with absorption issues and is always deficient in some thing (iron, calcium, etc) despite taking all necessary vitamins. You still have to eat right and put in work even after the surgery and if you don't learn better habits, you will gain the weight back. Unless you have major medical issues, I recommend starting with this site. Log your food here. Weigh everything! Do this consistently without stopping and I guarantee you'll have results. This pill you are on may cause some initial weight loss, but if you don't change your habits now, you will gain it back as soon as you stop taking it.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only update MFP progress on a Monday.
  • USMGRAD2014
    USMGRAD2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I was getting desperate to lose weight and getting very discouraged about not doing so after a month of going to kickboxing. So I went to my dr to voice my concerns and she recommended that I go on Phentermine for just a couple months. My problem was never reall over eating. I was going most of the day without eating. My dr then did tests to make sure I would be ok to take the medicine and I'm being watched while on it. I see her twice a month while I'm taking this medicine and will be monitored after coming off it. I'm terrified of gaining the weight back, but after being on it only a week, I have lost 10 pounds. I am in the "danger zone" for my weight. I'm 5'4 and weigh 244 pounds (just weighed today at kickboxing). I'm logging all my food on here and have not had any soda, sugar or "white food". I'm here because I really need help and I'm so focused on what the scale says that i might become obsessed with it. I used to be healthy, until I had ovarian cancer (at 17) and was very sick and bed ridden. I gained weight and went from a size 12 to a 22 and currently in a 20. I really hate and am embarrassed that I've sought out a pill to help but the plan is to teach me HOW to eat while I'm taking this and hopefully after getting 40 pounds gone, I'll be taken off the medicine and will be on my own.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I was getting desperate to lose weight and getting very discouraged about not doing so after a month of going to kickboxing. So I went to my dr to voice my concerns and she recommended that I go on Phentermine for just a couple months. My problem was never reall over eating. I was going most of the day without eating. My dr then did tests to make sure I would be ok to take the medicine and I'm being watched while on it. I see her twice a month while I'm taking this medicine and will be monitored after coming off it. I'm terrified of gaining the weight back, but after being on it only a week, I have lost 10 pounds. I am in the "danger zone" for my weight. I'm 5'4 and weigh 244 pounds (just weighed today at kickboxing). I'm logging all my food on here and have not had any soda, sugar or "white food". I'm here because I really need help and I'm so focused on what the scale says that i might become obsessed with it. I used to be healthy, until I had ovarian cancer (at 17) and was very sick and bed ridden. I gained weight and went from a size 12 to a 22 and currently in a 20. I really hate and am embarrassed that I've sought out a pill to help but the plan is to teach me HOW to eat while I'm taking this and hopefully after getting 40 pounds gone, I'll be taken off the medicine and will be on my own.

I didn't learn any good habits when I took Phentermine as my appetite was artificially suppressed from being on an amphetamine-like drug.

Has your doctor referred you to a registered dietitian? It's not necessary to give up white food in order to lose weight. In fact, studies show potatoes are the number one satiating food. A good dietitian who can dispel weight loss myths would be more beneficial to you than Phentermine.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Here's my favorite thread about Phentermine:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1

I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Ok, now to answer your question about weighing everyday - I did for most of the past 500-plus days. That helped me get used to normal fluctuations like gaining water weight at ovulation, premenstrually, after eating Chinese food, and after starting to work out again after a break. Now I'm off a program where I had committed to weighing every day and plan to just weigh myself after ovulation and after my period. I'm also within 20-25 pounds of my goal weight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I get what your plan is but HOW specifically do you think you are going to learn how to control your appetite while you are on a drug that artificially supresses your appetite? While you are on that drug you will have a greatly reduced appetite to be pitting your will against. To learn how to control your appetite your appetite kind of has to be there.

Picture coming off the drug and your appetite comes roaring back. What about your experience on the drug will have prepared you to deal with that?
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'd like to weigh in here with my opinion. It depends on what kind of person you are, how you deal with having some possibly misleading information. If a bad weigh-in can ruin your day or your diet then no.
  • USMGRAD2014
    Options

I get what your plan is but HOW specifically do you think you are going to learn how to control your appetite while you are on a drug that artificially supresses your appetite? While you are on that drug you will have a greatly reduced appetite to be pitting your will against. To learn how to control your appetite your appetite kind of has to be there.

Picture coming off the drug and your appetite comes roaring back. What about your experience on the drug will have prepared you to deal with that?

I do worry about coming off the medicine but like I had said before, my appetite was never really the issue. I could go until 3 pm before I even ate anything and then I'd eat a bowl of cereal or a sandwich but I never had any energy. I am seeing a nutritionist as well and even today doing my diary, MFP said I wasn't eating enough. I'm trying to be as careful as I can but I wasn't losing weight until I started Phentermine. I was against taking anything to aid in weight loss and I'm glad this is helping but I have already planned to come off of it after one more month. Currently I take the 37.5 mg tablet, 1/2 in the morning and half at lunch and have had no interruptions in sleep or anything. Actually there's been a couple days right after taking it that I could go to sleep. I guess that I'll never understand why I didn't lose weight until I took Phentermine but I funnily understand it's not a long term solution. I've become borderline obsessed with my weight and just want to see the numbers going down and now I can't even say I did it without help because I had to have help.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm really struggling to eat properly but not be hungry at the same time. I'm becoming borderline obsessed with what the scale says. Currently, I'm taking Phentermine in order to give me a jump start on my weight loss. Honestly I need help in what to eat and things like that. I do attend fitness kickboxing 2-3 times a week. Now, to the question, should I weight myself everyday and keep track of exactly what my weight is? Do you weigh yourselves everyday?

If you are borderline obsessed with the number on the scale maybe weighing every day isn't a good idea.
    I weigh once a week and that is enough information for me.
  • Bearbo27
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OP your stats are almost identical to mine. I am 5'3" and started at 258 lbs in July. I promise you, you have to weigh and log every morsel that you put in your mouth. Do not take away foods in order to lose weight. Other than me going lower carb due to PCOS, I have not taken away foods. I have lost 41 lbs since July 2 while still eating sweets, drinking sugar in my coffee, eating some bread, etc. All I have done is weigh my food and log it here. That's it!! It has helped me understand proper portions and what I need to consume versus what I want to consume. YOU can do this!!! Friend me on here if you want to see my diary and what I eat on a daily basis. You really just need to start from the basics. You also have to give it time. You said you weren't seeing much results after a month of kickboxing. Well starting up a new exercise routine will cause water retention which could mask actual fat loss. I would recommend getting precise with your logging and then adding in some exercise when you get comfortable with the logging part. Heck, 100 days in and I'm just now adding in exercise to my routine.
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2016
    Options

I do worry about coming off the medicine but like I had said before, my appetite was never really the issue. I could go until 3 pm before I even ate anything and then I'd eat a bowl of cereal or a sandwich but I never had any energy. I am seeing a nutritionist as well and even today doing my diary, MFP said I wasn't eating enough. I'm trying to be as careful as I can but I wasn't losing weight until I started Phentermine. I was against taking anything to aid in weight loss and I'm glad this is helping but I have already planned to come off of it after one more month. Currently I take the 37.5 mg tablet, 1/2 in the morning and half at lunch and have had no interruptions in sleep or anything. Actually there's been a couple days right after taking it that I could go to sleep. I guess that I'll never understand why I didn't lose weight until I took Phentermine but I funnily understand it's not a long term solution. I've become borderline obsessed with my weight and just want to see the numbers going down and now I can't even say I did it without help because I had to have help.

I've been 244 and I didn't get that way from just eating a bowl of cereal.

If you went to 3 PM without eating anything, you clearly made up for it later that day or the next day.

Please ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian (as opposed to a nutritionist.)
  • USMGRAD2014
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've been 244 and I didn't get that way from just eating a bowl of cereal.

If you went to 3 PM without eating anything, you clearly made up for it later that day or the next day.

Please ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian (as opposed to a nutritionist.)

That's the thing though. I really didn't make up for it. Most of my days consisted of cereal and sandwiches, however I wasn't drinking water hardly at all and drank Dr. pepper and Sweet Tea on a daily basis. Many days my blood sugar would drop so low from not eating and naturally my dr was concerned. I used to have a cheat day once a week but am not doing that this time. I'm saving my cheats for when I go to Las Vegas on Thanksgiving. My plan is to stop taking Phentermine that week and see how I do on my own with weight loss. I will contact my dr in the morning about a referral to a dietician.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't think phentermine is a good idea in general, but stopping cold turkey right before a thanksgiving holiday in Vegas sounds like a really bad idea. If you can't stop or don't want to stop now to try just tracking on MFP, I think you should probably keep taking it through your thanksgiving week. There is SO MUCH temptation in Vegas. Coming off an appetite suppressant and facing that sounds like a nightmare to me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There's so much denial and moving of goalposts here that I'm feeling numb. I'm not even sure you are telling us what your doctor really said. OP, nothing good will happen until you get your *kitten* together and start being honest and consistent. Weight loss is simple, and can be quite easy when you do the right things right. Farting around takes you nowhere.
  • USMGRAD2014
    Options
    rcktgirl05 wrote: »
    I don't think phentermine is a good idea in general, but stopping cold turkey right before a thanksgiving holiday in Vegas sounds like a really bad idea. If you can't stop or don't want to stop now to try just tracking on MFP, I think you should probably keep taking it through your thanksgiving week. There is SO MUCH temptation in Vegas. Coming off an appetite suppressant and facing that sounds like a nightmare to me.

Actually, I just got back from Vegas a few weeks ago and did pretty good. We ate 2 meals a day, lunch and a late dinner, no buffets because I don't eat at them. Ever. I have to go off the medicine because it takes 5 days to get out of your system and I'd like to be able to drink some while there. Like I stated previously, my appetite was never the issue. I lacked energy. I had gotten used to only eating once a day during undergrad because I had no money for food except cereal and sandwiches and I'd go to Taco Bell about once a week when I got paid. My body was used to not eating so I wasn't hungry and I don't eat sweets because my stomach can't handle it. Chocolate makes me really sick because it aggravates my IBS and even though I'm taking Viberzi for that, I still avoid it. Last time (about a year ago) I had a piece of chocolate cake and was sick for 2 days with my IBS acting up. Those memories keep me away from it which is good I guess. Now that I'm eating 3 times a day, my body is starting to tell me when I should eat, which I try to do every 3 hours. As a matter of fact, MFP told me yesterday that based on what I entered, I wasn't eating enough which is what happened last summer when I was on here. I got that same message almost every single day.

• USMGRAD2014
    Options
    There's so much denial and moving of goalposts here that I'm feeling numb. I'm not even sure you are telling us what your doctor really said. OP, nothing good will happen until you get your *kitten* together and start being honest and consistent. Weight loss is simple, and can be quite easy when you do the right things right. Farting around takes you nowhere.

Well you can think what you like and be unsure of what I'm saying. That's cool. I've tried so many times before and wasn't really serious. This time, I'm trying to get help on what to eat and what will nourish my body. I got tired of starting over so I'm going to stop giving up. Weight loss isn't simple for everyone. Especially those who live in the south and weren't raised around proper nutrition where everything is fried and mashed potatoes with a lot of butter is a staple in a home trying to make ends meet. With all my past surgeries, weight loss has been hard. I don't have the normal hormone levels that a girl should due to those surgeries. Not only is my primary care dr monitoring me, but my OB/GYN is having to as well due to past medical history. Being on Phentermine is absolutely the last thing I wanted, but it's helped me lose 10 pounds in one week when I wasn't losing anything before and the boost in energy helped a lot. The only thing that I'm unsure of is how long I'm going to take the medicine. The max amount I can get is 3 months but after getting 20 pounds off, I thought it might be good to stop there and go on my own. No, for once in my life I'm not in denial. I know what I'm eating and hold myself accountable. Fact of the matter is I'm tired of having to go to only one store to buy clothes. I hate the way I look and I'm so repulsive that I hate looking in the mirror because all I see is how fat I am. So believe what you want about what I'm saying. I wouldn't be here and be tracking what I'm eating and my activity if I wasn't serious this time and after stepping on the scale and seeing the 10 pounds gone, that was a huge motivator and the whole class yesterday in kickboxing was really supportive and that was helpful as well.