Does it matter if I skip core?

Options
Been using gym for cardio for the past six weeks with reasonable results.

Finally got round to induction and whilst I am confident on the machines, I struggle with the core stuff. My only aim is to lose weight and CICO seems to be working so I'm wondering if core is essential to my workout or not?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    depends
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    What "core stuff" are you currently doing? Or are you not doing any? Good move to start using weight machines, but free weights are great to use, also. In order to have proper form a strong core is important but I personally just do variations of planks almost daily. That seems to be good enough for me, but it does depend on your overall goals.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oof. This is hard to answer.

I admit to being very lax about core training. I go through periods when I regularly do core work (ab roller) and then I start to hit the point where I leave it off due to time constraints and eventually it falls off my radar. I feel like it is something I should do regularly but I don't. At the same time, I feel like I get a fairly good workout for my core doing regular lifting and having visible abs is not at all a goal of mine so I kind of feel like eh, whatever.

If it is not your goal, I would say consider working toward using free weights instead of machines, as I believe they will involve your core more than will many machine exercises.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Oof. This is hard to answer.

I admit to being very lax about core training. I go through periods when I regularly do core work (ab roller) and then I start to hit the point where I leave it off due to time constraints and eventually it falls off my radar. I feel like it is something I should do regularly but I don't. At the same time, I feel like I get a fairly good workout for my core doing regular lifting and having visible abs is not at all a goal of mine so I kind of feel like eh, whatever.

If it is not your goal, I would say consider working toward using free weights instead of machines, as I believe they will involve your core more than will many machine exercises.

This is totally me. Oddly though, when this picture was taken
    <<--- I had just finished a 12 week competition prep, with almost ZERO isolated core or ab work. I got all the core strength training I needed from deadlifts, squats and back hyper extensions, and diet took care of the aesthetics. Go figure.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    A weak core can lead to back pain, poor posture, hip pain, and bad balance to name just a few issues. But you don't necessarily have to do direct core exercises to strengthen your core. You can work your core indirectly with weight lifting (not machines), for example. Many asymmetrical exercise will work your core.
  • IrRevd
    IrRevd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What "core stuff" are you currently doing? Or are you not doing any? Good move to start using weight machines, but free weights are great to use, also. In order to have proper form a strong core is important but I personally just do variations of planks almost daily. That seems to be good enough for me, but it does depend on your overall goals.

I don't do any core at all. Don't like it (well actually I hate it). My current workouts consist of 4 x 30-45 cardio sessions a week (or until I've burnt 300 kcal)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    IrRevd wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I don't do any core at all. Don't like it (well actually I hate it). My current workouts consist of 4 x 30-45 cardio sessions a week (or until I've burnt 300 kcal)

Can't say core work is my favorite, either, but no matter how often and how many variations of planks I do they still get my heart rate up and I feel it the next day so sometimes I start my workout with planks as a warm up and then do a couple more while stretching. Just a few make a difference.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My core gets worked out plenty through my choice of exercise.. I admit not really into saving time or a day for core work. I will say that I did specially add core work as a newbie.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    core work is like flossing. i know i 'should' do it 100%, aka every day. i probably do do it around 60-70% of the time.

then something happens to make me feel punished for my sloppiness, and i scuttle straight back to the good girl's 100% until i feel as if i'm off the hook.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to do core work without knowing it. Make part of your cardio sessions asymmetrically loaded carries. Add some strength training using varied holding positions, that will require you to engage your core to perform them. I get it that not everyone loves direct core work like I do. But there are so many ways to still get some work.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on the rest of your routine, your needs and your goals but....

If you are struggling with core work then my gut feeling (no pun intended!) is that you have a weak core and should work it.
    It's tempting to gravitate towards what you are good at and neglect what you are weak at, that's a bad idea generally.

I do quite a bit of core work because I have a damaged back so a strong core compensates for that and it helps my main exercise which is cycling. So my routine fits my needs and goals.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I don't enjoy it much either, but if I don't do it I risk being bed bound with back pain more often, so it's a necessary evil for me. It really helps my running reducing the risk of taking a "wrong" step and throwing my back. In general, core work is really good for performance and injury prevention in several sports and workout choices, as well as real life applications aiding posture, balance...etc. If you don't care about any of that, not doing core work will not affect your weight loss in any meaningful way.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    on re-reading the op, i'm curious about what 'induction' is.

question may be ot, so disregard if you feel an explanation would derail things.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    IrRevd wrote: »
    Been using gym for cardio for the past six weeks with reasonable results.

Finally got round to induction and whilst I am confident on the machines, I struggle with the core stuff. My only aim is to lose weight and CICO seems to be working so I'm wondering if core is essential to my workout or not?

If this is your only goal, no you do not have to do any core work.

To lose weight, you simply have to eat in a deficit. Exercises by themselves have no bearing on weight loss.
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to skip out core workouts?! After all it's the most important part of your body to keep strong.
    Coming from a place where my core was so weak I could not bend over without helping myself back up. I feel keeping a strong core very important, it supports your spine and in turn the rest of your body. You don't realise what an important part it plays until you lose it!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Maintain a reasonable body weight and strengthen your core to reduce the probability of back problems.

Back problems suck.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    To have an overall bada$$ body. Training your core is imperative. Hence the word "core". That's just how I see it. Of course you don't have to have a solid core to look good in clothes.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love core work. I have to have a very strong core to be able to do pole fitness. I love the hanging leg raises and usually I do pull ups, then raise my legs when I've pulled myself up so I'm doing both.. Maybe you can mix core into your normal workouts?
    Strong core and a strong back will only be good for you. It definitely helps if you have a bad posture and a bad back.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    Wow, I love core work. I have to have a very strong core to be able to do pole fitness. I love the hanging leg raises and usually I do pull ups, then raise my legs when I've pulled myself up so I'm doing both.. Maybe you can mix core into your normal workouts?
    Strong core and a strong back will only be good for you. It definitely helps if you have a bad posture and a bad back.

Yep. Definitely helps with posture. Which in turn helps your form on all your other lifts.