Don't know what my weight goal should be. Pics included.

Options
Hello! I'm 32 years old and just started my fitness journey in the beginning of September. At that time I weighed about 141lbs and did not work out. I have a desk job but ride motorcycles regularly so I'm not completely sedentary.

I'm eating about 1200cal/day, 1500cal on workout days (including a protein shake post-workout.) I have been going to the gym 3x week, doing about 45min of weights and 30min of cardio. Initially, it seemed like the weight was falling off, but now I feel like I've already hit a plateau. I lost about 5 1/2 pounds in one month, but the 135 number has not budged in over a week. I know I'm also gaining muscle, but am now questioning if my original goal of 125lbs is reasonable or not. I was 125 for most of my 20s, which is why I'm going off of that number, but I also didn't do weight training then.

I know weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm trying to be realistic......

I have seen many pictures where the person is more thin and fit in their "after" picture and actually weigh more, which makes me feel a little better. I'd like to have healthy, attainable goals. Thoughts?

b3xdodydajbk.jpg
khtj5u2t1fij.jpg
0so7fhyo7rqd.jpg

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • adriennevy
    adriennevy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh also, I'm 5'6".
  • adriennevy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I see definite progress. I'd say keep it up and use measures in addition to your scale.....measuring tape, general appearance and strength/fitness.

That picture before and after speaks volumes....don't ignore that just because of your scale.

That said it's unlikely you've put on any actual muscle mass if you are in caloric deficit. There is a difference between gaining strength and gaining actual muscle mass.

I have been using a measuring tape which has been my recent marker of progress. That and before and after pics.

I know I gain bulk easily, my mother does, too. I have noticed mass gain, mostly in my biceps and deltoids, that wasn't there before. Maybe not lbs worth, but definitely something. Also, I'm doing low carb/sugar and am eating between 35-40% protein, 40-45% fat, 20% carb.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Weight training will make all the difference when it comes to looking like you weigh less than you do. At the moment you weigh less than me and are a bit taller. With heavy strength training you can start decreasing body fat % and you will have a more defined look.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I can see the differences , remember closer to goal weight the longer it takes to get there ..

Now Have you ever heard of the Iron Butt Association ?

Good Luck
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You look great
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    I did a quick calculation on a BMI website.. it says you are normal weight. For your height .. weighing 118 to 155 is normal. Therefore.. you could lose more if you wanted and still be in the normal range. However.. I think you look great. Nice progress.
  • ctcunningham72
    ctcunningham72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does your protein shake include creatine? Increase in creatine levels will slow weight loss temporarily. If so read up on creatine, once your body gets a certain level you will start losing weight again. Are you using the treadmill? If so, increase your incline you will burn more calories in the same 30 minute cardio.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You look fabulous! I don't see a need for you to lose more.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nice progress so far! I'm the same height as you and back in my initial weight loss phase my original goal was 135lbs. When I got there though, I was pretty disappointed with how things looked. I ended up losing more weight until I got in the low-mid 120s, which is where I personally feel best at. I like how I look there, how my clothes fit and also my blood work is a bit better than it was in the 130s. You'll know when you finally hit that place where everything comes together :)
  • adriennevy
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Weight training will make all the difference when it comes to looking like you weigh less than you do. At the moment you weigh less than me and are a bit taller. With heavy strength training you can start decreasing body fat % and you will have a more defined look.

That's encouraging, thank you! You look fabulous!
  • adriennevy
    Options

• adriennevy
    Options

• adriennevy
    Options

• adriennevy
    Options