Depression/ anxiety/PTSD and working out

Options
Is there anyone else suffering from any mental health problems and having a hard time to get themselves moving. I mean I get these depressive episodes where i lock myself in and can't simply can't go out. Honestly my goal isn't the number of calories I burn but it's just to actually get up. I don't know if it's just me or anyone else. If you aren't facing or have faced such situation please add me. So we can motivate each other and probably can also relate to the issues.. TIA

Replies

• mrbumblepants
    mrbumblepants Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do! Anxiety often makes me feel ill in addition to fatigue & low motivation, so it's very difficult. I'm having some success with recognizing I'm going to have days I can't take care of my health. Using tips for people with executive dysfunction has helped a lot too. Still searching for that magical spoon granting technique!
  • amnankhan
    amnankhan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    My depression comes and goes, when it's here it's very bad, but I still make myself go to the gym. Those days I don't focus too much, I just do what I enjoy doing and I find it helps tremendously. Obviously everyone is different though, everyone has their own struggles and things that help them. Hoping yours is manageable x

I actually try very hard to at least go for a walk if not running and then I end up having a good run. But there are days you know complete lock down ones. I hope it will change with time. I'm glad this works for you though. Keep going! :)
  • amnankhan
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I have PTSD. going.....
    Everyone is different, but this has been a life changer for me. If I hadn't been on this journey when everything came to a head, I don't know if I'd be able to cope right now at all.

I'm so sorry you're going through so much! And it's really impressive the way you're not letting things stop you or demotivate you :) I think I'll eventually get there too ! Thanks for sharing. It helps! Good wishes coming your way xx
  • amnankhan
    Options
    I do! Anxiety often makes me feel ill in addition to fatigue & low motivation, so it's very difficult. I'm having some success with recognizing I'm going to have days I can't take care of my health. Using tips for people with executive dysfunction has helped a lot too. Still searching for that magical spoon granting technique!

I know right! It's terrible specially the lock down days I like to call them I can't even step outside i had to quit my job because some days were so bad I just couldn't go !! I swear these issues are as real as getting your leg fractured or something. Anyways despite the bad days I'm trying to keep going... Not giving up!
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    amnankhan wrote: »
    Is there anyone else suffering from any mental health problems and having a hard time to get themselves moving. I mean I get these depressive episodes where i lock myself in and can't simply can't go out. Honestly my goal isn't the number of calories I burn but it's just to actually get up. I don't know if it's just me or anyone else. If you aren't facing or have faced such situation please add me. So we can motivate each other and probably can also relate to the issues.. TIA

I'm there right now. Had change in mood stabilizers and tapered my depression meds down. Don't want to hurt anyone so that's good but locking self in not going to gym. Craving carbs. That's me.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    You've got this @ejohnsontn!
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    ejohnsontn wrote: »
    I've been trying to get motivated for months. Hard to get there. My first real attempt is tomorrow morning. Wish me luck that I have the strength to exercise before going to work

U got this! You will attack the day and do it!
  • angelajanezic143
    angelajanezic143 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    amnankhan wrote: »

Yes I have all three of these conditions and agoraphobia where I'm afraid to go out.i just started exercise this week.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I both suffer from depression and anxiety. He too has PTSD from the Navy. We both are having a hard time with motivation him especially. I am trying my best to help him. We both want to get healthy .
  • lauhil
    lauhil Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also have anxiety and depression and its hard for me to concentrate on reaching my fitness goals. I just want to lose the weight, but its just so hard when I have mental problems sometimes. But I refuse to give up!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Last time my depression hit me, I just binge watched some Netflix on my stationary bike. Best $100 I've ever spent... when you just want to watch some TV, there's really no excuse not to hop on the bike and burn some calories while you do it. Plus the endorphins can help (well, supposedly).
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've been going through this for the last month. Not working out. Not eating right. My weight is staying the same, and I can barely get out of bed. Been a long time since I've been this depressed. I hope it levels out soon.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My depressive episodes are exactly the opposite--the only thing I want to do is work out because it makes me feel like I'm in control of losing weight, and if I lose all my weight I'll be happy, right? (sarcasm)

Are you currently under a doctor's care for your depression?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Shells918 wrote: »
    I've been going through this for the last month. Not working out. Not eating right. My weight is staying the same, and I can barely get out of bed. Been a long time since I've been this depressed. I hope it levels out soon.

Honestly last time it happened to me (a month ago... horrible PMS), I lost weight because I had no appetite at all. I guess that was the silver lining...
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    CassieP16 wrote: »
    My fiance and I both suffer from depression and anxiety. He too has PTSD from the Navy. We both are having a hard time with motivation him especially. I am trying my best to help him. We both want to get healthy .

PTSD is a b*"'&. It makes u scared to try anything. I pulled away from the gym due to lack of motivation. I workout at home instead right now.maybe he can do that
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PTSD and social anxiety when I had my son three years ago. Was the hardest thing I had ever gone through. Three years on and I have finally been weaned off my Fluoxetine and starting to feel like 'me' again x