Anyone else with BED? (Binge Eating Disorder)

Options
I was diagnosed a few years ago with Binge Eating Disorder, and feel like i am completely alone.
I just want to see if anyone else has this? A lot of people don't know what it is, its basically as it sounds. The binge without the purging to the point of your going to throw up but don't, ultimately gaining a lot of weight. I feel like I've gotten far with it though, losing 47 lbs. But every time I smell something, and every time i eat something, i want to go CRAZY. Its like carved into my head. I cant get away from it. I just want someone who has something similar too talk too. I feel like i'm hitting a brick wall.

Replies

• mama5432
    mama5432 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think i am. Some days i eat okay (okay for me is too much for others). And then i start bingeing... i will go n grab cake from kitchen then i will eat chips thn biscuits n milk again biscuit n milk... thn corn flakes with biacuits or swiss roll mixed in it... thn i will feel like i wana eat more cakes.. i m full by th time but still i wana eat more n more. When i m stressed or feeling low or even excited i start bingeing.
  • mama5432
    Options
    I feel very bad later on. So ashamed n sick. Low self esteem. And wana hide from my husband wht i ate all day long when he ws in office.
  • mama5432
    Options
    Dear bblue656 you are not alone. Its good tht atleast u r diagnosed and ur family know that u have a problem.. u r not eating for fun. Most of th binge eaters themselves n ppl around them never realise tht it is a disease ehich is really painful. I m a binge eater and i realized n came to know this term when i strt searching on google tht why i eat so much why i cant stop eating etc. Now i know i have this problem bt ppl around me my family n friends no one can realize that how severe my problem is. It is very heart breaking.
  • htdavidson88
    htdavidson88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed, honestly I didn't even think to ask my doctor about it. But what I do know is that I have the same tendencies and I will go from sweet to salty foods and just keep, going back and forth til I am miserable. I am alone a lot on the weekends and in the summer because my kids are usually gone and my boyfriend lives a few hours away for the time being which creates way too much opportunity for binge eating and binge watching Netflix. I really want to break this cycle.
  • calomeni85
    calomeni85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've never been diagnosed either but I binge eat to the point of feeling sick more often than I'd like to admit. I was really bad a couple of months ago, but had made some necessary changes in my life and have felt more motivated the last month. I'm not totally sure what BED is but I know that my desire to eat is definitely connected to anxiety and depression. I do really well for a few weeks and then I fall hard. It's almost like I self sabotage. I know it's wrong and I know how I will feel after but I do it anyway. I started struggling almost two years ago and I believe it was triggered by a traumatic experience. Anyway, I'm with you. Try to focus on the day. Keep yourself busy often. I had to make myself stop eating or snacking while watching TV because it was really bad. I've forced myself to disconnect the two. Find what triggers it in you. You're not alone. Believe that this does not have power over you. And absolutely seek help when needed. Maybe get an accountability partner and call or text them when you start feeling that temptation to overeat come on. I'm happy to help. Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • calomeni85
    calomeni85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed, honestly I didn't even think to ask my doctor about it. But what I do know is that I have the same tendencies and I will go from sweet to salty foods and just keep, going back and forth til I am miserable. I am alone a lot on the weekends and in the summer because my kids are usually gone and my boyfriend lives a few hours away for the time being which creates way too much opportunity for binge eating and binge watching Netflix. I really want to break this cycle.

I do the salty and sweet back and forth as well. It's absolute torture. And the binge eating and watching TV. Yep. I know that far to well. I felt like I was reading my own post when I read yours.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed with anything but I definitely have a hard time leaving food alone...it calls to me. Especially ice cream, cookies and chips. If something is within arms reach, I will eat it...to the point of illness. Total mindless eating. I have to be very careful about what I keep in the house. It's difficult to binge on protein and vegetable sources - and if you do, it's ok. You're not alone, for sure
  • htdavidson88
    htdavidson88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things I do is wake up and eat for no reason. Now I go to bed fairly early (8:30-9) because I know I'm going to get woke up from a call from my boyfriend usually around 11-11:30 when he gets home from work, then I'm up and awake til 12:30-1:00 so I've some how convinced myself I'm hungry and eat. Like last night for example, I talked to him then ate some, well, a lot of Doritos dipping them in sour cream (it's better than it sounds) had 2 mini butterfingers and a juice box then went to bed with all that junk in my stomach and I wasn't really even hungry! I wish there was a way I could just lose those urges.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things I do is wake up and eat for no reason. Now I go to bed fairly early (8:30-9) because I know I'm going to get woke up from a call from my boyfriend usually around 11-11:30 when he gets home from work, then I'm up and awake til 12:30-1:00 so I've some how convinced myself I'm hungry and eat. Like last night for example, I talked to him then ate some, well, a lot of Doritos dipping them in sour cream (it's better than it sounds) had 2 mini butterfingers and a juice box then went to bed with all that junk in my stomach and I wasn't really even hungry! I wish there was a way I could just lose those urges.
    Just me with the doritos issue..on my binge episodes I could eat what u can't believe
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    I have never been diagnosed with anything but I definitely have a hard time leaving food alone...it calls to me. Especially ice cream, cookies and chips. If something is within arms reach, I will eat it...to the point of illness. Total mindless eating. I have to be very careful about what I keep in the house. It's difficult to binge on protein and vegetable sources - and if you do, it's ok. You're not alone, for sure
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    Sooo me...
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Options
    mama5432 wrote: »
    Dear bblue656 you are not alone. Its good tht atleast u r diagnosed and ur family know that u have a problem.. u r not eating for fun. Most of th binge eaters themselves n ppl around them never realise tht it is a disease ehich is really painful. I m a binge eater and i realized n came to know this term when i strt searching on google tht why i eat so much why i cant stop eating etc. Now i know i have this problem bt ppl around me my family n friends no one can realize that how severe my problem is. It is very heart breaking.
    mama5432 wrote: »
    It is indeeed.i wish I didn't have this.some days I fear stuffing myself to breaking point..on such days
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have binge eating disorder, have had it since childhood and it got progressively worse a I got older. I have read all the books , tried all the diets, been to a selection of therapists and eating disorder groups, tackled my deep seated emotional issues. In my 30 years or so battle with binge eating I have found i am only ever winning when the following things are in place

I am totally honest with myself
    I follow a mostly low carb lifestyle
    I create firm but realistic boundaries around my food drink consumption
    I have some people to support me who I can speak to honestly about everything and who I trust to understand

There is a binge eating support group on MFP
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group
  • Mckie333
    Mckie333 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had something similar for particular food items
    like pizza, burgers and ice cream.
    I know what your talking about.
    Feel free to add me, I'm looking for friends for motivation
    :smiley: