Need to get back on track... need accountability

Options
I started on here at the beginning of the year and was doing well until my mom wanted me to try Atkins with her. The first few weeks were ok but when I went to AZ in March for a friends wedding I fell of track. It is also much MUCH harder for me to keep track of carbs then it is to track calories especially when I travel.
I am a teacher and in the spring lots of changes were happening. I was taking a Scottish dancing class and that too was put aside. I have been stuck at 203 and really want to lost at least 25 pounds (or more) by Dec for my birthday and celebrate 18 years cancer free.
I am not a depressing person or do I have anything majorly preventing me from losing weight other then myself. I have always been on the go or have a jam packed schedule and spent years eating conveniently (eating out or eating whatever is a fast fix). Food was a necessity and that it. I am spending this month trying things I have not taken the time to do and to slow down. I am watching what I eat (more fresh food and cook more), exercise (I was athletic in high school but after cancer I lost that energy and trying to get it back), and I am even learning to sew.
I need to make the rest of this summer about discovering me. What do I want and how do I do it. My daughter will be 11 next month and she has been excited to watch me try new things and has asked me to show her what I learn (sewing) so I am noticing that me trying new things is also having a positive effect on my relationship with my daughter.
Would love to connect with people and give and receive support to keep me accountable. Thanks so much!
April

Replies

• changeisgood55
    Options
    Like you said, the only thing stopping you is you. That is true for all of us. But I really believe losing weight has to start in our minds. We need to really want this and not let anything including ourselves stop us. You can do this and it sounds like your daughter wants to help. We are all here to help! Good luck!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    You'll find it here steampunkgirl.........keep in touch.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I'm a full time student, I work two jobs, and I do lots of after school activities like dance and theatre, so my eating habits were HORRIBLE. We're talking tons of fast food, dinner at 10pm or later, and other than my dancing, on real exercise. When you live a fast and crazy life, it can be so hard to eat healthy and just BE healthy. add me if you want, we can keep eachother motivated :) best of luck! :smile:
  • Laurabetha
    Laurabetha Posts: 15
    Options
    Can you and your daughter do something active together? Take a swimming class or something and get her to help you make healthy snacks or something. Sounds like your accountability partner is right there in your own house! :)
  • johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is all about you creating new habits out of old ones. Notice how most of these sentences will have the word,"you" in it. Make up your mind and get started. Look at your week on sunday and think of all the times it going to be tough and figure out how to get it done before it happens. Takes about an hour to get something planned.
    Get a book by Tom Venuto called the Body Fat Solution. After that you will understand what you need.
    Be accountable to you and your family first. Invest in yourself and in life through fitness. Look ahead and plan. You get out what you put in. If you don't want to count carbs and plan then you can guess the result. You make your own destiny and have been through worse. There is no such thing as to late in anything you do. Its all about trying something new and trying something different when it doesnt. Keep that pattern going and you will be successful in not only fitness but in life.
    John
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    moment-to-moment..you have a strong mind..get a strong body! cooking healthy is new for me too..my huge family is quite impressed...I have so many athletic/runners in my family, they always said food is the fuel for health! good luck!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Its such a difficult thing to change our eating habits. I've lost a bunch of weight, reached my goal, then promptly put 20 lbs back on. Now struggling. However, I'm not going to give up and I think that's an important thing to remember. Just never give up because at least if you're trying you are keeping it in mind and at some point, it will click in again. You fail only when you stop.

Good luck and be strong!
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the emails, posts and friend requests!! I am feeling empowered and I can do this!!

Laurabetha- being a single mom and having an only child we do ALOT together!! We go swimming and she will sometimes help in the kitchen. She has been a little afraid of the kitchen because we made pumpkin soup this past winter and when she went to smell it a bubble formed and popped and it burned her chin. She is getting back to it though. She loves to help me do eggs and things that can be put in the oven. She is my accountability partner but I admit too that she is my enabler as well LOL. Its over 100 degrees here so last month we did eat a bit more ice cream then normal. This week I decided to try making shaved ice instead and she has asked for that every night this week. NO juice just finally shaved ice which I did with my Ninja.

Johncowart- Thanks so much and I will look into the book. You are very right I do make my own destiny and I have been through worse! This jumped out the most and I thank you for saying it!

I agree with all of you it is a mindset and something that has been a work in progress. I say affirmations, but up a vision board in my bathroom, this past week I have been paying attention to my own thoughts and just trying to be more present with my mind and make the changes. Its not easy but I know it will get easier. Also paying attention to my choices and seeing what I can tweak. Thanks so much and I look forward to this journey and being supportive of all of you as well.
  • johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    GO GIRL!