• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Four weeks in a monastery in Thailand eating just two meals a day is a great way to realize that your relationship with food can be changed. There are some great books out there, look into Geneen Roth.

In addition to that book suggestion, try the CBT approach offered by The Beck Diet Solution. There's a book and a workbook.

Good idea.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    I'm doing really great after admitting to myself that i love food and it will never ever change. Ya know..I'm a foodie.. it is my thing! So, i've been losing..but I now make my food tasty and good..but healthy. Try skinny taste.com as a place to start. So many great recipes for yummy food.
    Embracing my love of food is the direction I had to go. If I'm going to do this I have to eat good food . I've also embraced exercising.. that helps me be able to eat out a few times a week...but I exercise off all the extra calories.

So far.. it is working.. I'm getting smaller and I am very happy.
  • xxkaayxx
    xxkaayxx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to food. It took me about a month to fully believe it. It's all I think about daily and all that I look forward to. When I ate, it was my happiest moments out of the entire day and once I finished eating, I'd think about what I'd be eating next and how long it'll take for my next meal. When I ate, I didn't eat snacks.. I mean actually meals that you'd cook or heat up. Today is my second day on my new diet/lifestyle. I can't continue to let food control me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Four weeks in a monastery in Thailand eating just two meals a day is a great way to realize that your relationship with food can be changed. There are some great books out there, look into Geneen Roth.

In addition to that book suggestion, try the CBT approach offered by The Beck Diet Solution. There's a book and a workbook.

Yes! CBT is a great approach to many issues. It can help you regain a sense of control.
  • tiffsaddiction
    tiffsaddiction Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I swear that they add chemicals into our food to make us addicted to them.
  • TheePhoenix
    TheePhoenix Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I can't control myself around two main things: Pizza and ziti. It's the cheese. Dear lord, I turn into a lunatic around mozzarella. I'm fine when we dont have any but to pass it up when grocery shopping or not having any when it's in the house...it's a struggle. I need to lose 200lbs but it is so hard to change thinking. I know the underlying cause for mine. It's the inner 5 year old that screams "you won't get to eat again until supper tomorrow night so eat as much as you can!" It's stupid, I know, but so difficult to overcome.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    well, i use to love food too. then i got a health scare. so whenever you are ready to do this, take yourself to the doctor and he/she will tell you the real deal. humans are stimulated by pain or pleasure.

food used outside of fuel creates a feeling of contentment to set off the anxious feelings one has. but exercise is a good replacement, it increases endorphines. so before you think you might get hungry, go for a walk, or even jog in place for two 15 minute sessions. blood gets pumping and you feel the edge dropping off.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is real. I was watching "Nurse Jackie" on Netflix and saw her destructive behavior. She was so obsessed with getting drugs for her next high that she destroyed everything that was important to her.

I want to lose weight. I follow my food plan, track what I eat, and then throw it all away for 30 seconds of something I think I just have to have.

I think food addiction is harder to manage than alcoholism. They never tell an alcoholic to take a drink three times a day, but that is what food addicts have to do to live: eat three times a day. I find it easier to give up certain foods than to have just a little of those foods. But that isn't true of all foods. Some foods don't trigger out-of-control eating. Find your trigger foods and don't eat them. Than come back and let us know how you are doing.
  • CookieMonsterr66
    CookieMonsterr66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I think about food all the time. Binge eating and mindless eating is such an easy trap to fall into, but you have to remember that your mind is stronger than your primal urge to eat. Whenever you feel an urge, accept it and move on, but don't listen to it. Humans weren't designed to have access to food at ALL times, but in today's society, it's everywhere. Try to preoccupy your mind with something else. Whenever you feel like overeating, talk to a friend, go for a walk, work out, brush your teeth, drink a big jug of water, meditate, or simply leave the house. Hope I helped.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I think most of us here are addicted to food in some way. Even the successful dieters. I, personally still NEED to eat around 2500-3000 calories a day to feel satiated. In order for me to do that and be (and stay) successful I have to exercise a lot. I have found after the first 1.5 years though, that it's getting easier to stop eating before I am full. It's actually to the point now that I don't like the feeling of being too full to want to get up and exercise or move around. For me at least, exercise was the key to success. It was just as hard to get started with it, and it is equally as hard some days getting started but I feel great once it's over with and I've earned my calories for the day. For those of you who are having a lot of issues being successful, my suggestion is to increase exercise to earn more calories. It may be the only thing that helps.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options

this is true!

Way to go, Murica', way to go!
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Stress binger here, and I completely get it. I can't count the number of times I've wished I had someone I could call to talk me down from binging. It's not as bad now, but every now and then I have a day where I just want to eat, eat, and eat some more. Developing self control is key, but starting out is difficult. I find the easiest way to avoid a binge is to remove the temptation. I started going out for walks without my wallet, taking naps or going to bed early, window shopping, etc. I also cut myself off completely from foods I tend to eat mindlessly (chips, popcorn, gummies, etc), and I've found that a small coffee with a bit of cream and sugar generally suppresses boredom hunger. As others mentioned, getting professional help will go a long way, especially if you have trouble finding coping techniques. Don't feel alone. Many of us are here due to our unhealthy relationship with food. Also, don't fret too much about others' calorie habits. I can't operate under 1,600 calories a day because of the physical demand of my job and daily walks, and I'm routinely over my calorie limit (before exercise) by about 150 calories a day but am still losing.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    shanae727 wrote: »

this is true!

Way to go, Murica', way to go!

Then how come I find the most irresistible foods, the most tempting, to be homemade? Even foods homemade by me that I know with 100% certainty what I put in it? (Not that I cook without chemicals, of course, since everything is made of them and all.)

I find it hard to believe that people really find fast food or store-bought stuff (whatever it is that you think has lots of "chemicals") is tastier than more whole-foods based foods, when prepared well. The "chemicals" in question are either preservatives to allow the food to be tasty and to last despite it being mass-marketed -- basically to make it more like homemade, without spoiling so easily -- or else cheaper ways to mimic ingredients that home cooks and restaurant chefs also use (basically fat, sugar, salt, other flavorings). What is new and special (although not that new anymore) is that packaged foods are both pretty cheap (especially in terms of time required to acquire them) and always easily accessible (people are more likely to grab an Oreo or a bag of chips than cook a meal in the middle of usual meal times). Not that they are magically harder to resist than mom's apple pie or grandma's lasagne or fried chicken or a grilled steak with roasted potatoes and some asparagus, all of which I think are instead likely to be much harder to resist and overeaten.

I love food and have to exercise restraint to not overdo it, but I think this is normal -- what's not normal, historically, is an environment that allows for this regularly, should I choose to indulge. If one wants to consider this addiction, well, whatever works for you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    well, i use to love food too. then i got a health scare. so whenever you are ready to do this, take yourself to the doctor and he/she will tell you the real deal. humans are stimulated by pain or pleasure.

food used outside of fuel creates a feeling of contentment to set off the anxious feelings one has. but exercise is a good replacement, it increases endorphines. so before you think you might get hungry, go for a walk, or even jog in place for two 15 minute sessions. blood gets pumping and you feel the edge dropping off.

Great advice.
  • smsquash
    smsquash Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed is that if I'm prepared with healthy foods that I like, I'm less likely to eat whatever is quickest and most decadent. And once I've eaten something satisfying, it's easier to have the willpower to make other healthy choices.

I cook a bunch of random stuff on Sundays now. I make a pot of lentils, a pot of quinoa, roast up large quantities of random veggies I have in the fridge, fry up some tofu, wash and slice fruit, and make sure I have fresh, appetizing and washed salad greens in the fridge. Later in the week when I'm starving, it's easy to throw together a soup, a salad, a burrito bowl, a stir fry, etc. and I can do it quickly which is key when I'm starving. I also make something sweet that isn't quite as awful as store bought stuff but is still indulgent. Apple muffins w/cinnamon sugar topping. Homemade toffee (only need a tiny bit bc it's rich.) Anyway that way I can enjoy on the days I work out hard and it feels like a treat.

I'm a foodie too. I'm never going to give up fat or sugar, nachos or pizza. I don't really want to. But even on the days I can't stand it and splurge, I add in a lot of veggies and raw fruit. It doesn't add a lot of calories but it really bulks up the meal so that I can eat much larger portions. For instance I'll add a big salad with apple slices, nuts, chèvre, herbs, maple roasted squash, and homemade vinaigrette with my nachos. It might cost me an extra 200 calories, but it adds a huge amount of food to my plate and I feel more satiated. It often allows me to have smaller portions of the really fattening stuff and still feel satisfied.

I'll tell you another thing that works for me. Sometimes I take a week off. I don't track, but I still try to give myself healthy food. I also still try to stay active-ish but don't stick to my work out schedule. If I want a homemade sticky bun for breakfast, I have something healthy and then add a piece of sticky bun. I satisfy my cravings and take a break from the pressure. Sometimes I'll gain a pound or two that week, but when I start back up it comes back off. Not for the really hard-core, but it works for me.

The only other suggestion I have is that drinking more water really helped me lose. I got an app called plant nanny that calculates how much water I should have, and reminds me to drink, drink, drink. When I started that, I started losing weight faster without changing anything else.

Regular exercise has really changed my mental state and helped me stay more positive too. I'm a self-sabotager for some reason. Now that I recognize that, I watch for it and try to manage my craziness, lol.

Anyway, hope that will help. Anyone can feel free to add me if you want a totally imperfect friend, lol.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I think we all feel that way to some extent. You are not alone. Mostly it is too much stress and too much food available, a bad combination. We all have to find ways to reduce stress and slowly change our environment to set ourselves up for success.

There is nothing easy about it. There is nothing easy about logging food, there is nothing easy about a calorie deficit, even a slight one. Yes I know some days seem easy, but not really for most people. Most people this is the biggest struggle ever.

Yes it is hard for me too! Even a slight deficit when I need it to manage my "checkbook".

Why is it so hard? Because even a slight calorie deficit is UNDER what your body actually needs. It is corrective action to fix a health problem. It is medicine. You don't take the medicine forever, you take it in doses that only you can handle. What you can handle is different from the next person. The body is complex. There is no magic formula, but your body gives you answers if you listen. Be patient about that because if you have spent years not listening it's going to take TIME to learn to listen.

Make maintenance days the light at the end of the tunnel. They are always a win because they are not OVER your needs. But you won't lose weight eating at maintenance either, you just won't gain. So if you want to lose weight, the slight deficit has to happen. It's easy to say well tomorrow is a new day, over and over, and get no where. While it's true, you need to push through at least one day. Then the next day can be maintenance. Just do a few days each week if you can at a slight deficit.

In order to meet that deficit you pretty much have to PLAN your food before you eat it. If you eat first, most of the time you won't succeed for the day unless you are lucky. PLAN PLAN PLAN, yes it is a pain, but it is how you LEARN. You need to see the value of the food you intake.

I still have to plan!!!!! But it's just what I do because I've done it so long. Like brushing and flossing and going to the gym, it just IS. You CAN do it too, if you never give up!

Part of my success with diet is keeping cooked foods ready in the fridge so I can make soup, burritos, tacos, sandwiches, or whatever I'm in the mood for making that is still on track for my goals.