When to take Creatine?

Options
So I had a question about creatine. I typically lift for about an hour, then go do cardio for a while afterwards. I am wondering if I should be taking creatine between lifting and cardio, or after my complete workout.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter one bit. Take it whenever suits you best. Creatine isn't a substance like caffeine with a limited time window of effect.

From the Creatine FAQ at Examine.com:
    When should I take Creatine?

As Creatine is stored in the body, you can take it any time. While some personal trainers recommend taking it after a workout, this has no difference in uptake.

You may wish to not take it with Caffeine at the same time, as they may possibly counteract each other when taken at the same time. Taking caffeine after creatine ingestion on the other hand can be very ergogenic.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference.
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have a read, might be of use http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/koch1.htm
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It's not timing dependent, but I add it to pre/post workout mixes for convenience sake.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Once you've saturated your muscles you only need 2.5 to 5 grams a day at your convenience. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I always take it about an hour before I lift-out of habit. But like already stated, anytime of day is fine.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    What anvilhead said. All that matters is that it's in your system. Taking 5g a day keeps you saturated (more than that and you're flushing money, literally).