Harder for short people!

Options
I have the appetite of a tall athletic man, but I'm a 5'1" woman. There's not a lot of room for error with calories if you're on the shorter side. I've had the same goal for several years but had too many distractions to fully commit to anything. I've finally realized that diet is key to keeping my weight down and exercise is to keep my health up. I've lost the initial 7 pounds - the hardest will be the last 5. Good luck! It's a gruesomely hard journey for this sugar addict - sometimes I have to set goals minute by minute.

Replies

• graym9035
    graym9035 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm short too.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2". Have 30lbs more to go. It seems a lot harder than for taller people, lol!
  • drewski1511
    drewski1511 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm petite, 5'2 and over 40 with a desk job. I lost the weight I set out to lose (30+ lbs) and am currently maintaining. It's no harder for us than anyone else. Set an appropriate deficit, log accurately, and move as much as you can. My TDEE now is 2200 and I eat more now than I did before I lost the weight because I average 15k steps/day and circuit train a few times a week. I lost most of my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals.

Being petite doesn't doom you to a life of eating extremely low calories. Yes our energy needs may be less than someone taller or heavier than us but a great deal of it is influenced by activity level.

Good luck with the last 5 lbs.

Ok! That is awesome! I want that, too. With four kids, I try to squeeze in workouts throughout the day. I'm hoping once I'm in maintenance mode, I can get back to eating more normally.
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and hate that the extra weight is so noticeable. I've gotten my diet under control and have started exercising and have lost 67 pounds.
  • drewski1511
    drewski1511 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and hate that the extra weight is so noticeable. I've gotten my diet under control and have started exercising and have lost 67 pounds.

That's amazing! Wow.
  • Ade1234
    Ade1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good work guys, all of us need a helping hand now and then, and talking about it stops us from quitting! I've been on MFP for over 4-5 years, lost it and gained it. It's all about changing your lifestyle, yep we've all heard that before, but it's so true. I love a drink and often go over my Cal target, but I don't give myself a hard time. It's just one day further away from my goal. Exercise allows me to eat the food I like, and education about food has helped me to enjoy more rewarding food. Tricks like using mayo instead of butter on sandwiches, and honey instead of sugar! Porridge is really good and lots of protein. Remember that it's not just about weight, but body shape, so look at your body and see what you need to do. I swim and the rewards in Cals is great. I use a Garmin Swim watch to track my exercise, and a one hour swim burns about 600-700 Kcal's! Great for body tone and cardio health. Keep going, cuz if you stop, all your hard work is undone!