How can I slow down weight gain during pregnancy

Options
I'm 27 weeks pregnant and so far I've gained so far 26 pounds, I can't stop eating lots of junk food and now I'm gonna end up gaining a lot more in my third trimester. Would cutting my calories down to around 1600 a day help? I do the exercise a hour a day.

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You need to get this advice from your health care professional, not an internet forum.
    You want what is best for both yourself and your baby.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor how many calories you need each day. It is ok not to want to gain too quickly, but you should gain weight during pregnancy. I don't think eating at a deficit is a good idea unless you are morbidly obese and the doctor advises it. I think that it would be better to go for walks when you have the urge to snack. It will help get you in shape for the delivery.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Do not cut calories while pregnant. Use a calculator and find out you maintenance. Eat that! As you have gained a bit faster than reccomended I would ask your health care team if they want you to tack on the reccomended 300 extra calories per day or not. Be honest! Switch to less "junk food" and more whole foods with a few moderated treats that fit your calorie goals. Walk, as long as you are low risk walking is great for you. Ask your team what else you may do. I would bet they will ok swimming, light weights, gentle aerobics, yoga, etc.

The reccomended weight gain I have always been told is approx 1lb for the first of each 4-5 months, and then a pound a week after that. I had a hard time with cravings while pregnant so was always over that but with appropriate exercise after baby is born you will lose just fine.

Remember, it is only 40-42weeks! You can get your body back into shape if you have gained a bit more than expected. But cutting calories too low can harm that babe who is just getting a start on a healthy life through your choices right now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Where did you get 1600 cals from?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else who suggest talking with your doctor. Has your doctor told you you're gaining too much weight? Or is this just a personal feeling?

Please remember that you are growing a human. You are developing eye balls and finger nails and muscles and organs and a slew of other things. That requires energy.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about your rate of gain...a lot of it depends on things we can't possibly know. Were you underweight and the extra is good? Are you overweight and it's a signal of getting out of control? Strangers on the interwebz can't decide this for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 weeks pregnant and so far I've gained so far 26 pounds, I can't stop eating lots of junk food and now I'm gonna end up gaining a lot more in my third trimester. Would cutting my calories down to around 1600 a day help? I do the exercise a hour a day.

Refraining from eating lots of junk food would go a long way. In my mind it makes way more sense to rein that in than to worry about an absolute calorie limit. You can have treats a bit but "lots" under most circumstances is not a good idea.