Question for someone in law enforcement?

Options
briislovely
briislovely Posts: 92 Member
Hello! Random question! Thought I might ask this question before calling the police station. I live in town, where my house is about 5 feet from the one next to me. The house next to me has a dog the they leave outside all day long, (we both have very small fenced back yards) sometimes throughout the entire night and it barks non stop.
I also can't go in the back yard without it going crazy. I'm not a deep sleeper so this barking dog keeps me up at night.
Is there anything the police can do in the situation?
Mind you, this has been an on going situation for months and I've tried to let it go, but I'm slowly going insane!
Thanks for any comments!

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Some towns have city ordinances re leaving dogs outside. Mine does, I called Animal Control once when neighbor left dog out on a very hot day.
    Have you talked to neighbor? That may be first step, depending on neighbor.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Your call should be to animal control, not to the police. I'm not advocating for them taking the dog and putting it down or anything, but they are the ones who issue citations for matters like these normally.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your neighbor about this?

I would start there.

If the neighbor gives you attitude, take it as a green light to be a total *kitten* on the issue.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    my dog is a big puss.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My hetero life partner is an animal control officer and he deals with this all tue time
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I would start there.

If the neighbor gives you attitude, take it as a green light to be a total *kitten* on the issue.

Depending on the neighbour, I wouldn't recommend this. If he/they don't care that the dog is outside all night barking, chances are they would also make your life hell if they knew it was you who ended up reporting them after trying to talk to them about it first.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I would start there.

Depending on the neighbour, I wouldn't recommend this. If he/they don't care that the dog is outside all night barking, chances are they would also make your life hell if they knew it was you who ended up reporting them after trying to talk to them about it first.

Hell can be a two way street but yeah, I hear ya'.

You're right: "Depending on the neighbor."

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Get a cat.
  • briislovely
    Options
    The problem is the neighbors are never home, and don't get home until super late.
    I feel bad for the dog bc I'm an animal lover and the poor guy is outside all day.
    But i called the police last night. It was still outside barking at 1am and I couldn't sleep. They made them out the dog inside so we shall see if they actually start putting him inside!
  • briislovely
    Options
    The neighbor lives in a double with another family on the other side and there is other people all around us that have to find this dogs barking extremely annoying. I've tried to let it go for months so I don't feel bad for calling.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. My neighbors around the corner are nice people who have a few dogs. One is a big German Sheppard. One of their dogs is having bathroom troubles so they built a doggie door so the dogs can just go out whenever they like. Now they go out at all hours and stand outside and do nothing but bark. All day. All night. They aren't distress barking, or hurt, or hungry. The just bark. And howl. Did I mention they do it all day and all night? It's nearly impossible to sleep with the windows open :(
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The neighbor lives in a double with another family on the other side and there is other people all around us that have to find this dogs barking extremely annoying. I've tried to let it go for months so I don't feel bad for calling.

Nor should you feel bad! I wouldn't have let it go a week, let alone for months.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I agree it depends on the neighbor. Sometimes making the call and letting someone else handle it is the best way. Honestly, if they don't know their dog barking at all hours is a problem I am not sure how receptive they would be to someone complaining. My dog doesn't get to bark without me hollering at him and trying to redirect.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Did you try talking to your neighbor first ?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    Sneak over into their yard when they are not home and "Mark" the territory as your own. Show that animal that you are the Alpha Dog.
  • TreasureDiver1
    TreasureDiver1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow - I didn't realize how many people are in law-enforcement on MFP!! I feel much safer in my goals :)