Strength training

Options
Now that I am close to my goal, I want to get more lean muscle. I currently weight train 4x per week and run 3x per week. I do triathlons, so can't give up the endurance. I do 1x chest, 1x back and 2x leg per week. Is that enough to continue to build lean muscle? I already have some lean muscle, but I want more!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in a surplus, and follow a program with progressive overload
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Have you tried six-count burpees?
  • amandasquist
    amandasquist Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Have you tried six-count burpees?

I don't know what those are....but....I can't do burpees. Torn knee
  • amandasquist
    Options

Eating in surplus is a terrifying thought for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You can't gain muscle without a surplus really. Unless you go for a really slow recomp?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm gonna say that you might get a bit stronger doing weight training for a particular body part once a week, but you are unlikely to build any muscle.
    In general, they say that, to build muscle, you should lift every other day, and hit each body part (legs, chest, etc.) about twice a week or more.
    Here's the thing I find. You say you do endurance training. In my experience, heavy weight lifting makes it harder to run the next day. So, trying to get stronger with weights can interfere a bit with trying to improve running/biking too.
    Doesn't mean you cannot do it, and get results, but it is difficult.
    Runner's World has a number of workouts for runners that focus on strengthening the core, the legs, etc. Those mostly utilize body weight exercises -- push-ups, leg lifts, planks, squats with no weight, etc.
    Maybe you should try doing body weight exercises for a while? They are easier to incorporate in a running/biking/swimming schedule and, maybe, less likely to interfere with that training. If, after you get a bit stronger, you find that is not enough you can switch to weights?
    Good luck
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Since you run tris, I assume you have little body fat, which means you'll need to eat in a surplus to gain muscle. Unless you have some chemical assistance, your body can't build muscle quickly. Let's say you want to gain a pound a month, that translates into a surplus of roughly 900 calories a week.
  • amandasquist
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Since you run tris, I assume you have little body fat, which means you'll need to eat in a surplus to gain muscle. Unless you have some chemical assistance, your body can't build muscle quickly. Let's say you want to gain a pound a month, that translates into a surplus of roughly 900 calories a week.

Ha ha. I wish!! Getting there!!v9tunlyn3kuz.jpg

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Now that I am close to my goal, I want to get more lean muscle. I currently weight train 4x per week and run 3x per week. I do triathlons, so can't give up the endurance. I do 1x chest, 1x back and 2x leg per week. Is that enough to continue to build lean muscle? I already have some lean muscle, but I want more!!!

In order to gain muscle you have to eat more, especially if you're running so much. I'd suggest upping your daily calorie intake by 250 to start (just a protein shake or half a meal more) and see what happens from there. You'll see and feel a difference with your lifts by feeding the body what it needs.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle than you need to make that a priority-period. Your endurance work will not make gaining muscle easy (it's hard enough as a woman) so you're going to have to accept that you're going to have to eat more. Think of eating more as gaining more muscle-not fat! You need to be able to properly fuel your workouts otherwise you're just going to be spinning your wheels.

You also need to find yourself a good Full Body x3/week or Upper/Lower lifting program x2/week-Stronglifts, Starting Strength, PHUL, or PHAT are a few off the top of my head. Anyway, working a muscle once a week as a beginner isn't going to do much. Muscles recover in about 48 hours so why would you waste a whole week resting a muscle when you could be rebuilding it in a couple of days?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

All muscle is lean, by definition. Do you want to actually get bigger muscles, or keep them the same size while looking more "toned" and "defined"? The latter is more about reducing body fat. :+1:
  • amandasquist
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

All muscle is lean, by definition. Do you want to actually get bigger muscles, or keep them the same size while looking more "toned" and "defined"? The latter is more about reducing body fat. :+1:

Ummm, toned but with noticeable muscles. Lol. Does that answer it?? :)
    I want to look strong, in a feminine way.
  • amandasquist
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle than you need to make that a priority-period. Your endurance work will not make gaining muscle easy (it's hard enough as a woman) so you're going to have to accept that you're going to have to eat more. Think of eating more as gaining more muscle-not fat! You need to be able to properly fuel your workouts otherwise you're just going to be spinning your wheels.

You also need to find yourself a good Full Body x3/week or Upper/Lower lifting program x2/week-Stronglifts, Starting Strength, PHUL, or PHAT are a few off the top of my head. Anyway, working a muscle once a week as a beginner isn't going to do much. Muscles recover in about 48 hours so why would you waste a whole week resting a muscle when you could be rebuilding it in a couple of days?

Ok. I guess I need to commit more time.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well no, if you are currently weight training 4x a week, you don't need to commit more time to that. You need to eat more if you want to build muscle.

ETA: Or maybe I misunderstood. If you've decided to recomp then you just need to eat at maintenance, include adequate protein in your diet, keep lifting, and be patient. So yes, maybe you do need to give it some more time :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    edited October 2016
    Options

Not necessary more time but use the time you have wisely. :) 4x/week is fine but use those 4 workouts to hit everything 2x/week.

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Not necessary more time but use the time you have wisely. :) 4x/week is fine but use those 4 workouts to hit everything 2x/week.

no, this is not necessary. Don't spread misinformation. 3x a week doing compound lifts will build muscle just fine, especially for a newbie. Almost any workout that progressively loads will build muscle when in a caloric surplus.

OP, just get a decent program. Look at http://stronglifts.com - it is an excellent beginner program. Eat lots of protein, eat a little over your TDEE (like 100-250cal a day over), and you will soon see a noticeable difference.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Your kinda missing arms and shoulder as part of a body group.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

no, this is not necessary. Don't spread misinformation. 3x a week doing compound lifts will build muscle just fine, especially for a newbie. Almost any workout that progressively loads will build muscle when in a caloric surplus.

OP, just get a decent program. Look at http://stronglifts.com - it is an excellent beginner program. Eat lots of protein, eat a little over your TDEE (like 100-250cal a day over), and you will soon see a noticeable difference.

Why does everyone have to argue on this forum?

Go reread my original post. Here, I'll save you the time and quote it-

You also need to find yourself a good Full Body x3/week or Upper/Lower lifting program x2/week-Stronglifts, Starting Strength, PHUL, or PHAT are a few off the top of my head.

• sakvani
    sakvani Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have almost the similar situation as amandasquist. I have already lost 25 Lbs and want to loose another 10 Lbs to be in the normal range of BMI. I am doing cardio and weight lifting(dumbell) every other day. I have already started taking more protein as my ultimate goal is to build muscle. Am I on the right track, any suggestion please.