Strength training

Options

Replies

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

no, this is not necessary. Don't spread misinformation. 3x a week doing compound lifts will build muscle just fine, especially for a newbie. Almost any workout that progressively loads will build muscle when in a caloric surplus.

OP, just get a decent program. Look at http://stronglifts.com - it is an excellent beginner program. Eat lots of protein, eat a little over your TDEE (like 100-250cal a day over), and you will soon see a noticeable difference.

Why does everyone have to argue on this forum?

Go reread my original post. Here, I'll save you the time and quote it-

You also need to find yourself a good Full Body x3/week or Upper/Lower lifting program x2/week-Stronglifts, Starting Strength, PHUL, or PHAT are a few off the top of my head.

because you are telling a newbie they have to hit each bodypart 2x a week. I have no idea why you think this is necessary, but I pointed out it is not. I am not arguing, I am correcting.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    sakvani wrote: »
    I have almost the similar situation as amandasquist. I have already lost 25 Lbs and want to loose another 10 Lbs to be in the normal range of BMI. I am doing cardio and weight lifting(dumbell) every other day. I have already started taking more protein as my ultimate goal is to build muscle. Am I on the right track, any suggestion please.

You won't get much accomplished without a program. Pick one and follow it exactly.
  • sakvani
    sakvani Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote:
    You won't get much accomplished without a program. Pick one and follow it exactly.

Can you explain what do you mean by pick one and follow.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Now that I am close to my goal, I want to get more lean muscle. I currently weight train 4x per week and run 3x per week. I do triathlons, so can't give up the endurance. I do 1x chest, 1x back and 2x leg per week. Is that enough to continue to build lean muscle? I already have some lean muscle, but I want more!!!

But do you want to lose or gain weight? That determines if you eat in a calorie surplus or deficit.
    If you want to recomp (add muscle / lose fat) then eat at maintenance calories to stay the same weight.
    You need to take your triathlons into account - you will have conflicting priorities in terms of training, recovery and ideal body weight.

(No you don't need a calorie surplus to add muscle - it might affect the speed of progress though.)

You are only training chest and back once a week - that's not going to get you far or fast. If you are a beginner then that's dreadfully sub-optimal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

no, this is not necessary. Don't spread misinformation. 3x a week doing compound lifts will build muscle just fine, especially for a newbie. Almost any workout that progressively loads will build muscle when in a caloric surplus.

OP, just get a decent program. Look at http://stronglifts.com - it is an excellent beginner program. Eat lots of protein, eat a little over your TDEE (like 100-250cal a day over), and you will soon see a noticeable difference.

You also need to find yourself a good Full Body x3/week or Upper/Lower lifting program x2/week-Stronglifts, Starting Strength, PHUL, or PHAT are a few off the top of my head.

because you are telling a newbie they have to hit each bodypart 2x a week. I have no idea why you think this is necessary, but I pointed out it is not. I am not arguing, I am correcting.

So you're saying you think it's optimal for a new lifter trying to gain muscle to hit each bodypart once per week?

Which do you think would be more beneficial to a beginning lifter?:

a) A good full-body routine done three times per week, where each body part is hit 3x/wk.

b) A "bro split" routine done three days per week, where each body part is hit 1x/wk.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

AnvilHead wrote: »

So you're saying you think it's optimal for a new lifter trying to gain muscle to hit each bodypart once per week?

Which do you think would be more beneficial to a beginning lifter?:

a) A good full-body routine done three times per week, where each body part is hit 3x/wk.

b) A "bro split" routine done three days per week, where each body part is hit 1x/wk.

A beginning lifter that is training for triathlons at the same time like this OP's case, I think most people in this situation would opt for option B to at least start and see how the body recovers but of course sets and volume come into play.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that a program like Stronglifts 5x5 has a 3day rotation, so you are only doing 3 of 5 lifts each workout, not necessarily hitting all body parts 3x/wk, but hitting them once or twice each week. I agree that finding a structured, progressive program is key.

Because OP is a triathlete, it can become difficult to get in 3 strength workouts around run/bike/swims. I find it a bit easier to do all 5 lifts twice a week, bike/run twice a week, swim once.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Again you really, really need to go back and read my original post-that will answer your question as to why you need to work a body part 2x a week. You need to stop arguing with me and do a little research on Protein Synthesis. Also, Stronglifts, which I also recommended in my original post, does indeed work body parts 2x/week. Just because a body part isn't being isolated doesn't mean it's not being work by a compound lift.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    as a triathlete stronglifts may be a poor choice due to squats being a part of every workout.

Currently I've been runing 3x per week around 20 miles throughout the week and I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 on alternating days with a rest day thrown in there as well. And I'd like to shed enough weight that I am no longer medically obese but that has taken a back seat to the running and the lifting.

I am trying to maintain weight for a couple weeks then lose 5lbs or so then cycle that all over again. I've found that this is working for me to become stronger and faster at the same time. It hasn't been an easy journey. When I was running for pure weight loss that was easy. adding strength and trying to run better at the same time has made it interesting to say the least.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am not a tri athelete but I do run and I do maintain mileage weekly before hard training again (i.e next HM is is March 2017).. I do maintain running miles while recomping and scale back some when bulking. I just have to eat for it..

Just understand that with dual goals such as this, it will take additional training time and recovery..Your nutritional balance is key to fuel all of your workouts accordingly. Finding balance between how you setup your lifting and running will be key. I am a bit older so recovery take a little longer, but through trial and error I found the sweet spot on how to balance build and rest/recovery as well as running..

Your training calorie burns need to be added on top of your maintenance calories. A tiny deficit is ok, but you will end up spinning your wheels if you remain in a deficit for longer periods of time while trying to recomp...

• amandasquist
    amandasquist Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ok. You have confused the heck out of me. Obviously there are conflicting views on this. I did an RMR calculation and my calories were a bit too low. I will increase those and I have made an appt with a trainer. Thanks for all your input!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok. You have confused the heck out of me. Obviously there are conflicting views on this. I did an RMR calculation and my calories were a bit too low. I will increase those and I have made an appt with a trainer. Thanks for all your input!

Do you have an off season? Generally, this is where your greater focus on building muscle or increasing strength would be ideal. A 3 day full body routine or even a 2 day split would be ideal to build muscle and increasing strength but if you try to do it while activity training, you might run into recovery issues. If you lift heavy, it is really taxing on your muscles, which might make it harder to run. So if you have an off season, many long distance athletes will change focus on their priorities and modify their schedules to accommodate recovery.
  • amandasquist
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Do you have an off season? Generally, this is where your greater focus on building muscle or increasing strength would be ideal. A 3 day full body routine or even a 2 day split would be ideal to build muscle and increasing strength but if you try to do it while activity training, you might run into recovery issues. If you lift heavy, it is really taxing on your muscles, which might make it harder to run. So if you have an off season, many long distance athletes will change focus on their priorities and modify their schedules to accommodate recovery.

Yes. Just entering off season
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Yes. Just entering off season

Personally, I would consider 3 days of a full body routine, and then train two days with two days of recovery. But if you have access to a coach who specializes in this, it will probably be more beneficial towards your goals.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

ETA: And if you want a lower body focused routine, look at strong curves (found in the link above)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My plan, having completed my first Half Marathon September 25, is to cut back my running to about 20 miles a week and increase my lifting, getting into Strong Lifts 5x5. All/most runs for the winter will be base building conversational pace and increase my lifting weights. We shall wee what happens, but it's a plan.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Have you tried six-count burpees?

how would that contribute to muscle gain?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP if you want to gain muscle (i dont know what lean muscle is) then i would suggest that you run a bulk at a 250 calorie surplus, set your macros to .65 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat; and fill in rest with carbs; and get on a structured lifting program with progressive overload built into it like strong lifts, strong curves, wendlers, PHUL,etc.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You need to eat in a surplus, and follow a program with progressive overload

Eating in surplus is a terrifying thought for me.

then you will never gain muscle...

unless you at maintenance and recomp...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ok. I guess I need to commit more time.

Not necessary more time but use the time you have wisely. :) 4x/week is fine but use those 4 workouts to hit everything 2x/week.

it is not mis-information ..you can gain muscle on a three day or four day program ..wow
  • amandasquist
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP if you want to gain muscle (i dont know what lean muscle is) then i would suggest that you run a bulk at a 250 calorie surplus, set your macros to .65 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat; and fill in rest with carbs; and get on a structured lifting program with progressive overload built into it like strong lifts, strong curves, wendlers, PHUL,etc.

Great. Thank you. I'll have to up both my protein intake and my fat. Just by a little bit. I can do that!