Normal bulking?

Options
Hi-

I've been doing flybarre (a more athletic form of barre) consistently for the 5 months. We do a ton of planks, push-ups, and rows. I can tell that I'm getting stronger (which is rad). However as winter is setting in, I'm finding that my coats are tight across my shoulders and around the top of my rib cage.

As a former ballet dancer, upper body strength wasn't a huge focus so this is new to me.

Is this a normal muscle build? Will I top out at some point? Should I be investing in new jackets?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are building muscle in your upper body, yes, your shoulders/upper arms can get bigger.
  • bbaugh2014
    bbaugh2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    is this going to taper out? I'm not looking to become huge,or to be needing to replace my wardrobe.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    bbaugh2014 wrote: »
    is this going to taper out? I'm not looking to become huge,or to be needing to replace my wardrobe.

Yes/no/maybe. I really can't tell you but it does depend on your training and diet and part of it is going to be genetics.

Last summer (2015) I bought a dress that was too snug in the stomach but fit everywhere else perfectly. This year it was perfect in the stomach but crazy snug in the shoulders/upper back. I had recomped a bit over that time period (same general weight but lost fat and built some muscle.) I also was doing more shoulder and back work on purpose and I tend to be a bit wider at the shoulders to start with.