Difference between HIIT and functional weight training with kettlebells

Options
What are the benefits of each? Trying to determine how I want to go about getting in shape. Please enlighten me.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good explanation of HIIT: http://www.brinkzone.com/training-programs/hiit-training-are-you-really-doing-it/

HIIT is to be used sparingly. I'm not even sure I'd suggest a complete beginner try it because it sounds like an injury waiting to happen.

Kettlebells are a specific type of weight that can be used for strength training, which sometimes can cross over into cardio. "Functional" is a buzzword that I try to avoid.
  • fordmag84
    fordmag84 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What I mean is, I would like to work out multiple muscle groups at the same time. I have started doing a circuit I found on onnit.com with kettlebells. Have to read the link you posted on HIIT, thanks for the info.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    RE: HIIT: I do Tabata training several times a week. It works out like 8 rounds of 20 seconds of intense 100% effort followed by 10 seconds of rest. The whole thing is over in 4 minutes. I do it because there is a fair amount of evidence showing how it can improve your V02 max. You can do it with jumping box squats, punch sprints on a heavy bag, alternating Thai kicks, rows on a rowing machine, weighted sled dragging, cycling sprints. The way to do it is all out, full power, no pacing. Is it something to start out with when you're out of shape? Absolutely not.

Kettlebell training can be done in a HIIT kinda way. However, the safety issues in Kettlebell, and there are some, are all related to form. Get your form down well before even thinking about HIIT with kettlebells, especially on the overhead stuff like snatches.

In general, Kettlebell training can range in effect from low intensity cardio to high intensity cardio to high intensity strength to musclular endurance. It kinda depends on how you do it. Also, the intensity and quality of kettlebell training can vary widely. I've seen guys do clean and press with 180 lbs kettlebells, and that aint no joke. At the same time I've seen infomercials featuring well dressed models lifting 5 pound kettlebells that made me roll my eyes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    fordmag84 wrote: »
    What are the benefits of each? Trying to determine how I want to go about getting in shape. Please enlighten me.

HIIT will benefit you after you've got a year or two of cardiovascular conditioning under your belt. Until then, ignore it.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options

In general, Kettlebell training can range in effect from low intensity cardio to high intensity cardio to high intensity strength to musclular endurance. It kinda depends on how you do it.

To be clear, Kettlebells are not cardio. Cardio is a motion that can be repeated over & over for a long duration of time. Ex: walking, biking, swimming, dancing. Kettlebells are a form of strength training or resistance training. Just because something raises your heart rate doesn't mean it's cardio.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »

In general, Kettlebell training can range in effect from low intensity cardio to high intensity cardio to high intensity strength to musclular endurance. It kinda depends on how you do it.

To be clear, Kettlebells are not cardio. Cardio is a motion that can be repeated over & over for a long duration of time. Ex: walking, biking, swimming, dancing. Kettlebells are a form of strength training or resistance training. Just because something raises your heart rate doesn't mean it's cardio.

If your kettlebell workout challenges your cardiovascular system- how is it not a cardio workout?

Sure, it isn't steady state cardio, but there are a billion different ways to get a cardio workout.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Kettlebells can be used to perform cardio. Many things not thought of as traditional "cardio" can be done at a low enough intensity that it targets the aerobic system.
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I want to start some sort of strength training at home, I dont have much upper body strength so not sure which weights to begin with, if I buy something & cant lift it, it defeats the object. Lol Is strength training the same as weight training? I want to burn fat, lose weight, tone up, whats best please. I do some running, but bot that far
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just because something raises your heart rate doesn't mean it's cardio.

Per the American College of Sports Medicine, increasing one's heart rate is actually part of the textbook definition of cardio.

• fordmag84
    fordmag84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I want to start some sort of strength training at home, I dont have much upper body strength so not sure which weights to begin with, if I buy something & cant lift it, it defeats the object. Lol Is strength training the same as weight training? I want to burn fat, lose weight, tone up, whats best please. I do some running, but bot that far

I went to onnit.com, and if you go their academy section they have some beginner routines for kettle bells and other workouts. I found it to be helpful, you may as well.