Don't know what my weight goal should be. Pics included.

Options
2»

Replies

• adriennevy
    adriennevy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Weight training will make all the difference when it comes to looking like you weigh less than you do. At the moment you weigh less than me and are a bit taller. With heavy strength training you can start decreasing body fat % and you will have a more defined look.

That's encouraging, thank you! You look fabulous!
  • adriennevy
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ya, eat at maintenance and lift heavy.

You're currently running too large a deficit for your height, weight, and pounds you want to lose. Under-eating stresses the body and mind. Stress increases cortisol, which leads to water retention, which makes it look like you're not making any progress:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dietary-restraint-and-cortisol-levels-research-review.html/

...a group of women who scored higher on dietary restraint scores showed elevated baseline cortisol levels. By itself this might not be problematic, but as often as not, these types of dieters are drawn to extreme approaches to dieting.

They throw in a lot of intense exercise, try to cut calories very hard (and this often backfires if disinhibition is high; when these folks break they break) and cortisol levels go through the roof. That often causes cortisol mediated water retention (there are other mechanisms for this, mind you, leptin actually inhibits cortisol release and as it drops on a diet, cortisol levels go up further). Weight and fat loss appear to have stopped or at least slowed significantly. This is compounded even further in female dieters due to the vagaries of their menstrual cycle where water balance is changing enormously week to week anyhow.

And invariably, this type of psychology responds to the stall by going even harder. They attempt to cut calories harder, they start doing more activity. The cycle continues and gets worse. Harder dieting means more cortisol means more water retention means more dieting. Which backfires (other problems come in the long-term with this approach but you’ll have to wait for the book to read about that).

When what they should do is take a day or two off (even one day off from training, at least in men, lets cortisol drop significantly). Raise calories, especially from carbohydrates. This helps cortisol to drop. More than that they need to find a way to freaking chill out. Meditation, yoga, get a massage... Get in the bath, candles, a little Enya, a glass of wine, have some you-time but please just chill.

This is good information. I have been increasing my carbohydrates intake a little bit, and am trying to figure out how high I should raise my caloric intake. I don't think i can get down with Enya, though. ;)
  • adriennevy
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    Now Have you ever heard of the Iron Butt Association ?

Yes! Actually one of my best friends did the Saddlesore 1000 on Saturday! I'll be doing one myself one of these days. But I have nothing to prove, I'm planning on riding a moto around the world at the end of 2017!
  • adriennevy
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I ran stats.. BMR=1340, sedentary TDEE =1610, 1-3 hrs exercise TDEE=1845 (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator)

1200 calories is too low.. And read that article from Lyle McDonald that @kshama2001 posted. I think it will help explain a lot to you.

Perhaps re-think your rate of loss, make sure that you are following a structured lifting program designed to help with body composition changes.. you can benefit from doing maintenance and recomp.

So based on this, do you think a caloric goal of 1400 is reasonable, 1700 on workout days? I have purchased some personal trainer sessions, and will be asking them to review my lifting program and make any necessary tweaks. Most of what I'm doing now was taken from a trainer years ago when I had slightly different goals in mind.
  • adriennevy
    Options
    Does your protein shake include creatine? Increase in creatine levels will slow weight loss temporarily. If so read up on creatine, once your body gets a certain level you will start losing weight again. Are you using the treadmill? If so, increase your incline you will burn more calories in the same 30 minute cardio.

Both shakes I've been using (Vega Essentials mostly but sometimes Gold Standard Whey,) don't include creatine. Should I be adding it?
    I'm using elliptical for cardio, and use the "interval" setting. According to the machine, which I know can be inaccurate, I average 300 calories in a 30 minute session. I'm considering getting a HRM because the ones on the machines are garbage.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Yea, the burn on the machine is probably really high. I use a hrm and it would say I burned 450 calories compared to the machine saying 700 for a 60 minute stint on the elliptical. Even after entering my "stats" on the elliptical.

You're taller than me (and probably younger) and will burn more, but a 10 calorie a minute burn is some really intense exercise.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    adriennevy wrote: »
    Oh also, I'm 5'6".

I'm 5'. At my leanest I weighed 140, wearing a size 4-6.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I ran stats.. BMR=1340, sedentary TDEE =1610, 1-3 hrs exercise TDEE=1845 (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator)

1200 calories is too low.. And read that article from Lyle McDonald that @kshama2001 posted. I think it will help explain a lot to you.

Perhaps re-think your rate of loss, make sure that you are following a structured lifting program designed to help with body composition changes.. you can benefit from doing maintenance and recomp.

So based on this, do you think a caloric goal of 1400 is reasonable, 1700 on workout days? I have purchased some personal trainer sessions, and will be asking them to review my lifting program and make any necessary tweaks. Most of what I'm doing now was taken from a trainer years ago when I had slightly different goals in mind.

Yes to this if you plan to continue dieting to lose additional body fat. When you have reached a target in your weight which it looks to me will not be very much more at all, and then move to maintenance and recomp.

Might you want to consider a structured lifting program designed to help you reach your goals?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

eta: if you want to purchase a HRM you can, but you do not have to. Simply eat back the portion of exercise that keeps you in energy balance, trend your weight changes with the exercise calories you eat back according to your rate of loss over a period of time.

i.e. the burn of 300 calories for 30 minutes seems high (not sure level/incline and effort provided) but might want to start out with eating back a certain % of that for a couple of weeks ans see where you are then.. also take body measurements as well. While you will not gain any significant muscle in a deficit (you might have already gained all that you will in a deficit) you will want to maintain your muscles while eating in a deficit.. then move to maintenance calories/recomp.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    Now Have you ever heard of the Iron Butt Association ?

Yes! Actually one of my best friends did the Saddlesore 1000 on Saturday! I'll be doing one myself one of these days. But I have nothing to prove, I'm planning on riding a moto around the world at the end of 2017!

Sweet Triumph(?)! I ride an '80s vintage Moto Guzzi.
  • adriennevy
    Options

Yes to this if you plan to continue dieting to lose additional body fat. When you have reached a target in your weight which it looks to me will not be very much more at all, and then move to maintenance and recomp.

Might you want to consider a structured lifting program designed to help you reach your goals?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

eta: if you want to purchase a HRM you can, but you do not have to. Simply eat back the portion of exercise that keeps you in energy balance, trend your weight changes with the exercise calories you eat back according to your rate of loss over a period of time.

i.e. the burn of 300 calories for 30 minutes seems high (not sure level/incline and effort provided) but might want to start out with eating back a certain % of that for a couple of weeks ans see where you are then.. also take body measurements as well. While you will not gain any significant muscle in a deficit (you might have already gained all that you will in a deficit) you will want to maintain your muscles while eating in a deficit.. then move to maintenance calories/recomp.

Thank you so much for all of this. That link is incredible!
  • adriennevy
    Options
    Thank you! I also have a 2005 Suzuki DR650 (for offroad) and a 1965 Honda CB77 Superhawk (for looking super cute.) Haha.

• ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I also have a 2005 Suzuki DR650 (for offroad) and a 1965 Honda CB77 Superhawk (for looking super cute.) Haha.

Lol. Awesome.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Good job! I see a lot of progress as well. :)
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You're achieving your goals ! Keep going and listen and sift through all the advices given here and all other threads. ;)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. I see a difference. I would keep it up!