When to invest in new clothes?

2»

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Agree on the second hand/thrift stores. Also, clearance racks sometimes have nice things for cheap.

While you don't want to spend too much money on "temporary clothes", I find it demoralizing to slump around in clothes that are way too big and find it motivating to have a few nice things that fit properly. It'll become a case of "quality over quantity". As long as you have enough clothes that fit to get you through the week (or however long you go between laundry), you can just wear them over and over again.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    I do eBay. They sell lots of stuff NWT (that's "new with tags") inexpensively, as well as nice used items. Also, use eBay to sell your stuff that's too big. I've started doing that now. So, you can turn your old clothes into cash which is used to buy newer clothes, which you can then sell later on.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Second hand shops are great, but right now, I'm living in leggings and Piko tops. Super comfortable, and I can lose a whole lot of weight before I have to buy more. They are really cute with boots.

I have over 80 pounds to lose, and will be having WLS. I'll be losing the weight rapidly as a result, so I plan on stocking up so I can still be cute as the weight comes off.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    I've been doing Goodwill.
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Goodwill or other second hand shops can fill your wardrobe in if you aren't ready for the nice pieces.

I've been doing Goodwill. There are plenty of "nice pieces" available there. Earlier this summer I got a $150 Badgley Mischka bathing suit from last years collection for $3.50. Nothing wrong with Goodwill (and other consignment) even if you are "ready for the nice pieces".

ETA: Sorry about the duplicates. I was getting error messages saying it wasn't posting and gave up. Came back and spam city. Joy. Sent report to have them deleted.

Your area probably has a better selection than mine does. I know that was the case when I lived in a major metropolitan area. I personally need tall clothes, and finding them at goodwill is hopeless; but I've pieced together a wardrobe that will do. Mostly from shorty sleeved things and skirts because of the length issues.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Thrift stores, outlet malls, tj maxx and Marshall always have great items. Online discount stores like rue lala have a lot of nice options. You can also rent dresses online at Rent the Runway If you have a wedding or nice event coming up.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    One other thing I thought of: If you live near a hospital, usually they will have a consignment shop which benefits the hospital. I'm all for wearing my clothes until it just gets ridiculous to do so, but for those pieces I have to buy, I've been going to the re-sale shops.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I've been doing Goodwill.
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Goodwill or other second hand shops can fill your wardrobe in if you aren't ready for the nice pieces.

I've been doing Goodwill. There are plenty of "nice pieces" available there. Earlier this summer I got a $150 Badgley Mischka bathing suit from last years collection for $3.50. Nothing wrong with Goodwill (and other consignment) even if you are "ready for the nice pieces".

ETA: Sorry about the duplicates. I was getting error messages saying it wasn't posting and gave up. Came back and spam city. Joy. Sent report to have them deleted.

I once got a $450 Burberry bag for $15! I did a double take when I saw it locked in the case.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    I've been shopping at thrift stores almost exclusively since I started losing weight. I've managed to buy lots of things at thrift stores that still have the tags from their original stores, like Banana Republic pants that were originally $150 for $5. I'm actually dressing in nicer clothes now that I started shopping at thrift stores more often than when I was only buying things new!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Another vote for thrift stores in general and Savers in particular. I have also given and received clothes on https://www.freecycle.org
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I'd buy some tops were i you. Recently. JC Penny had sale racks with nice stuff under $10..and Target has its sale racks with items for under 10 also. Take $30 or $40 and treat yourself.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Personally, I love Goodwill. I bought new stuff when I was at my highest weight so that I felt like I wasn't cramming a big body into a skinnier person's clothes. I go back every once in awhile to celebrate victories and treat myself. My retail therapy is not too expensive.. I spend about $20-30 when I go to goodwill, but come back with an invigorated wardrobe. I just noticed today I've hit the -15 lb mark, and its the weekend, so I think it might be time for another $20 shopping speee!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    For casual clothes, I've been buying things at places like Target and Old Navy. For work stuff, I just shop sales racks. I am not buying a lot, just in some cases, clothes are literally falling off me. I have some work tops that are now hanging way too low on me, so I bought inexpensive camis to wear underneath.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    First congrats on your weight loss! I went down an extra size with 15 pounds so I would hold off on the big shopping spree if you want to get more bang for your buck. I went from size 14 to 4, so I needed clothing during the weight loss. I waited until I was a size 8 to start bargain shopping. This is what I did:

1. Second hand stores (Goodwill) will even have $0.99 days for white tags. Sometimes you can even find items with their original sales tag still on.
    2. Yard sales. I found a jackpot for shirts. One rack had 3 for a dollar
    3. Gabes, TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Ross Dress for Less. (at Gabes, I found Soho New York & Company Jeans for $4)

Now that I'm at weight I want to be at, I still look for bargains. Shorts season is over but last night I just scored $44 jean shorts for only $8 at a department store.

Good luck to you and happy shopping!
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    I love Savers! Nice to see it mentioned.

I bought my new wardrobe 3 lbs from goal. That sounds safe, right?

I reached goal then lost 2lbs more figuring out maintaining. Those 5 pound all came off my rear and I dropped 2 pants sizes. 2 !!

Get a thing or two now but wait as long as you can, and then wait a little longer, for the shopping spree.
  • RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Thank you everyone for your tips. It sounds like thrift shops may be the way to go.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    edited October 2016
    I think you have done really well. In my view you should just treat yourself to a couple of lovely tops that show off your new (reducing) shape and make you feel gorgeous. The nice comments you'll get and how good (sexy / fit/ slender) you'll feel will keep you motivated for the rest of your weight loss journey. Go on - you've worked hard and you deserve it!!
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    I got 2 nice pairs of jeans at Goodwill today for a total of $3.99. Very happy to have read this thread!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I'm pretty much mostly a thrift shopper anyway when it comes to clothes, so it wasn't a tough transition for me to do that during weight loss. The one exception is pants. I'm 5'6", but have short legs and no hips, so I have to buy new a lot of the time. Aside from that, thrift is the way to go. Fashion tends to recycle itself, so finding trendy clothes secondhand is easier than one might think.