What to do with canned salmon?

Options

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, canned fish is a staple in our household! Delicious, versatile and cheap. Not everyone can afford to buy fresh fish!

same here ! I would love to be able to afford fresh salmon but I simply cannot afford.

• IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    Thanks LenGray !
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I can easily buy wild salmon here, in Oregon. But I get your point, so much fish is farmed and filled with colorants.

crazyravr wrote: »
    cedder1 wrote: »
    Buy fresh!

I challange you to walk into a store today and buy me a piece of fresh, not farmed, not frozen salmon. Go. If you do, $100 on your way. I am serious.

As far as using the canned salmon, it is great in casseroles, salads, soups...anywhere you may use canned tuna. I always keep a can of salmon in my house (as well as jars of local tuna). I use them from time to time, and they are here in case I need them (power outage or our pending subduction zone earthquake).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Throw it away and get fresh salmon for the grill.

i will second this...
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    Bubba1922 wrote: »
    A favourite:

I hard boil 3 eggs, cool them, cut them in two and scoop the yolks. I then mix the yolks with the canned salmon, some Mayonnaise, salt, pepper a bit of chopped parsley. I stuffed this mixture back in the white halves and refrigerate. Serve the eggs on lettuce leaves. So good! Serve with French bread orFrench fries. Also serve these when I do a buffet. They are really low carb and delicious.

OOOh I like this !!! thanks for sharing !
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like it mixed with cous cous and sautéed vegetables which have been finely chopped (onion, red pepper, zucchini, carrots). Or couscous and cherry tomatoes.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think you have to live in a few very specific places to get truly fresh wild salmon.

I prefer a previously frozen sockeye filet over canned, but I buy both. There is a species of wild Alaskan salmon called "pink salmon" (humpback), not to be confused with the farmed Atlantic salmon that needs added coloring. Canned wild pink salmon seems to be cheaper and more readily available in my area than canned red. I suspect it is due to overfishing of the sockeye. I would like to see the nutritional differences between the 2 species.

• jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think you have to live in a few very specific places to get truly fresh wild salmon.

I prefer a previously frozen sockeye filet over canned, but I buy both. There is a species of wild Alaskan salmon called "pink salmon" (humpback), not to be confused with the farmed Atlantic salmon that needs added coloring. Canned wild pink salmon seems to be cheaper and more readily available in my area than canned red. I suspect it is due to overfishing of the sockeye. I would like to see the nutritional differences between the 2 species.

here is a link to the nutritional difference. Pink is lower in fat and calories. Here in Alaska, the Sockeye is sought after by sportsmen since the meat is more similar in taste and color to King salmon, but lower in fat. the pink is something that we typically don't go after unless it is to can, since the meat tends to be softer and less flavorful than Reds(sockeye). personally I freeze all of my red salmon and if I end up with pink it will be canned. It tastes better that way. But most people here don't waste time on pink salmon.

http://skipthepie.org/finfish-and-shellfish-products/fish-salmon-sockeye-raw/compared-to/fish-salmon-pink-raw/
  • CorneliusPhoton
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jgnickel wrote: »

here is a link to the nutritional difference. Pink is lower in fat and calories. Here in Alaska, the Sockeye is sought after by sportsmen since the meat is more similar in taste and color to King salmon, but lower in fat. the pink is something that we typically don't go after unless it is to can, since the meat tends to be softer and less flavorful than Reds(sockeye). personally I freeze all of my red salmon and if I end up with pink it will be canned. It tastes better that way. But most people here don't waste time on pink salmon.

http://skipthepie.org/finfish-and-shellfish-products/fish-salmon-sockeye-raw/compared-to/fish-salmon-pink-raw/

Thanks! The nutritional differences don't seem very significant to me, though the lower omega-6 and higher vitamin K on the pink sort of stands out. Then again, I focus on different micros depending on the time of day. ;) I have heard others on other forums say that they consider the pink pretty much "junk." I happen to have a can of each in the closet. Maybe a side-by-side taste test is in order. Thanks again for providing the link.
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Put some in a whole wheat pita wrap....Add lettuce tomato avocado..Things you like..makes a great meal
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I personally love the fresh salmon from Bristol bay Alaska...Alaska seafood and salmon.com.....you can order on line..find them on face book..They go to farmers markets in my area...It sounds expensive but dollar per dollar plus nutrition..It's a bargain...Tony Wood is the guy in charge..So be sure you have the right site..Tell him Eileen sent you....It's yummy
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Throw it away and get fresh salmon for the grill.

i will second this...

Again, please go ahead and find me this magical fresh, wild salmon. And again I would eat a wild canned sockeye over a farmed "fresh" pink salmon anyday.

its called a fish market...but I guess those only exist in magical lands far, far away ...
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Canned salmon recipes-go to this webpage and select the Canned/Pouched salmon.

http://recipes.alaskaseafood.org/

Pink (humpback) salmon is not "junk" as someone posted. A pink salmon is just as tasty as trout or steelhead. For those with access to fresh salmon, a fresh grilled pink is delicious. There are many companies in Alaska and the Pacific NW that market fresh-frozen and canned wild salmon. Google it.
  • fluffernubber
    fluffernubber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Canned salmon is FANTASTIC for salmon patties/burgers. It's an extremely versatile food, not to mention cheap, but I prefer the burger route. (You can also totally do tuna salad, but switch in the salmon for the tuna.)

You'd just make sure to remove the "spine" from the salmon meat in the can, then put the meat in a bowl, mix with an egg, some garlic/onion powder, lemon juice, crushed up crackers (bread crumbs or oats will also do), salt/pepper to taste, and then it should be the right consistency to shape into patty shape with your hands. Then just toss it in a little bit of seasoned flour and cook it off in a pan.

It's great on its own, but on a whole wheat bun with a lot of crispy lettuce and some lemon tartar sauce it's super good. Trust me, I've been making this recipe for years.

• CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    Canned salmon is FANTASTIC for salmon patties/burgers. It's an extremely versatile food, not to mention cheap, but I prefer the burger route. (You can also totally do tuna salad, but switch in the salmon for the tuna.)

You'd just make sure to remove the "spine" from the salmon meat in the can, then put the meat in a bowl, mix with an egg, some garlic/onion powder, lemon juice, crushed up crackers (bread crumbs or oats will also do), salt/pepper to taste, and then it should be the right consistency to shape into patty shape with your hands. Then just toss it in a little bit of seasoned flour and cook it off in a pan.

It's great on its own, but on a whole wheat bun with a lot of crispy lettuce and some lemon tartar sauce it's super good. Trust me, I've been making this recipe for years.

Nothing wrong with leaving the bones in there. They are soft and edible. Calcium.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I melt butter in the pan then add canned salmon and cream, and sometimes a cheese slice. Stir very gently till heated through. Serve with black ground pepper. My husband has it over fettuccine. I have it straight on the plate. Yum
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Throw it in the trash :#
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I can easily buy wild salmon here, in Oregon. But I get your point, so much fish is farmed and filled with colorants.

cedder1 wrote: »
    Buy fresh!

I challange you to walk into a store today and buy me a piece of fresh, not farmed, not frozen salmon. Go. If you do, $100 on your way. I am serious.

As far as using the canned salmon, it is great in casseroles, salads, soups...anywhere you may use canned tuna. I always keep a can of salmon in my house (as well as jars of local tuna). I use them from time to time, and they are here in case I need them (power outage or our pending subduction zone earthquake).

I can also easily buy fresh, wild salmon here - at least part of the year. But I also live in the Pacific Northwest. The best value is the whole fish, which the meat departments will fillet or cut into steaks for you. Then you can freeze some for later. :)