Runners...how many calories do you eat on a very long run day?!

Options
I am talking about 90min-120min+ runs... 15+ miles.

Also, this is assuming you're still eating at a deficit to lose weight.

Replies

• Blondieee00
    Blondieee00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oops should've done 10+... I have way more 10, 11, and 13 mile days than 15 lol XD
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cycle a fair bit. 150 miles or so a week.

I up by around 200 kcal per 30 miles as I still have 6 or 7 lbs to go. 30 miles is about 2.5 hours at my pace. I would compare the intensity to that of a moderate paced run. 150 bpm most of the time. (Age 37)

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1/2 is planned.. but usually do more.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would eat all the calories that my Fitbit recorded me as having burned (I know from past experience that it is reliable) so that I hit my pre-planned deficit. Depending on how much else I did that day and how big a deficit I was shooting for, this would probably have me eating 2,000 to 2,500 calories for the day. But sometimes running blunts my appetite and the hunger hits the day after the long run. So it's likely I would add some of them to my breakfast and lunch for the following day.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't do runs that long, but for a 10K (6.2 miles) I increase calories by 725... I found several websites that estimated the calorie burn for someone my weight (160 lbs) running at my usual pace (8ish minute miles) to be 117 calories per mile. Whatever distance I run I just multiply by 117. Based on my own trial and error it seems to be about right for me. Your mileage may vary (literally).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My longest runs are an hour. I go by what I get from my Fitbit adjustment. Like janejellyroll, running tends to blunt my appetite, so sometimes, those calories spill over into the next day.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Wow OP you can run 7.5 mph and nonstop for 2 hours? That's extremely fast and strong.

I know that I burn 250 calories every mile running between 4-5.5 mph.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Similar to @janejellyroll and @GottaBurnEmAll, I go by my Fitbit adjustment. Before I had my Fitbit, I went off of the calculated calorie burn from Runkeeper and had good results. I focus on my weekly intake and I tend to spread the calories from a long run into the next few days. I have a hard time eating an extra 1k+ calories on long run days.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I run on average about 100 miles per month, with my long distance runs each week being between 9 and 14 miles each. On my long distance days, I never come close to eating the calories allotted to me. It's just too much food and I'm not that hungry. I am currently in maintenance at 5'9" and 145 pounds, and I will allow myself to eat some extra calories as needed in the days following my long runs. It seems to all average out, as I've been maintaining my weight fairly easily since January of this year.

I think you have to go by how your body feels, and if you have enough energy for your workouts.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    mikevfr wrote: »

I up by around 200 kcal per 30 miles as I still have 6 or 7 lbs to go. 30 miles is about 2.5 hours at my pace. I would compare the intensity to that of a moderate paced run. 150 bpm most of the time. (Age 37)

200 cals for a 2.5 hour bike ride? Most people over-estimated their caloric burns--you might be drastically underestimating. My HRM gives me ~40 calories per mile (and I'm probably smaller and lighter than you).
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have to play it by ear a bit, but I try to hit what my calculated burn is, if not that day, it spreads goes into the next day. I'm ravenous after long runs, so I have to be careful not to overeat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I tend to include overall weekly miles in my goal, and not eat more on days I run (although I do tend to eat more on the weekend and do my long run then anyway).

As for calories from running, I think the RW calculator is pretty accurate (I find runkeeper and even MFP worked okay for me too). Unlike some other forms of exercise, it's not that hard to estimate running reasonably accurately based on time, distance, and weight.

The RW calculator recommends .75 x weight in lbs for overall calories per mile or -- more significant -- .63 x weight in lbs for calories burned in addition to what you would have burned in that time period anyway (this is quite close to the common rule of thumb that for someone around 150 1 mile=100 calories).*

*That was always the rule I knew (without the 150 bit) and when I was fatter I probably underestimated, as a result, and when I lost enough that I burned less than 100 calories per mile it made me sad, even though I was running more at that point. ;-)
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Perhaps I'm misreading this, but I would say those values do not seem to represent my experience (though they could represent your accurately). I'd say for me (mid 30's, male, clydesdale rider), depending on intensity, I believe an accurate burn is somewhere around 500 to 600 calories an hour, based on moving time. Clock stops if the wheels aren't turning for any reason. Considering 30 miles might take me 2.5 hours, I'd probably log that as 1,500 to 1,800 calories burned. That's VERY different than 200. I'd burn over 200 just walking for a single hour.

So for others, perhaps take both of these reading with a grain of salt and come up with something in the middle, probably depending on weight and intensity, until you can empirically determine your own values.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I run 10-12 on Saturdays, about 1.5hrs. At my weight I burn about 800-900 calories.. I eat about 200-300 more. Long runs tend to suppress my appetite - so I take advantage of that.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I run 5 miles a day and 10-13 on Saturdays. Typically eat 500 cals over maintenance on long run days.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

200 cals for a 2.5 hour bike ride? Most people over-estimated their caloric burns--you might be drastically underestimating. My HRM gives me ~40 calories per mile (and I'm probably smaller and lighter than you).

I took the fact that he was still trying to lose 6-7pds that he upped his intake by 200 and that was not necessarily what he burnt for the exercise but what he was willing to eat back given his goal is to still lose weight.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I ran 17 miles the other weekend and my hrm said I burned 1800 calories so I gave myself 1500 extra for the day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid runner. For me, an hour burns about 450 calories.
  • lasirena624
    lasirena624 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So impressed with the distances everyone is running! I run three days a week usually covering 19-20 miles total. My long run days are between 9-11 miles, training for a half marathon right now. My appetite also is surprised after long runs but surges the next day. I normally stay with in my calorie goal to loose except the day after my long run when I tend to be hungrier and eat a few hundred calories more than allotted. My overall week still has a decent deficit and I continue to loose my last 5-7lbs (after 36lbs lost) slowly!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm generally eating whatever my fitbit tells me to eat, but like others my actual hunger levels vary - after a long run or strength training session I'm not that hungry, but it kicks in later in the day or even the next day. I try not to force myself to eat my calories on the same day as I know the hunger might still kick in the next day, causing me to overeat, but keep an eye on the weekly average.