MFP elliptical trainer & stationary bike

Options
So, I'm pretty frustrated right now, because for the past 2 months I have been using MFP's calories burned estimate for the elliptical and the stationary bike. Well, today at the gym I decided to put the calories burned option on the elliptical (I entered my age, weight, and target heart rate before beginning) and according to the machine, I only burn 200 cals per 20 mins of exercise, whereas MFP says I loose 200 cals with only 16 minutes. I realize 4 minutes isn't THAT much of a difference, but it makes me wonder what else on this site isn't accurate. :/

Any feedback?

Thanks everyone!
-Kels

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes..mfp tends to over estimate calories burned.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I know everyone keeps banging on about HRMs, but seriously do yourself a favour and get one. It's the best investment you can make to help you accurately track your burns. Do it. You'll never exercise without one again ;)
  • califigureeight
    Options
    The food is accurate, the community posts are as accurate as a person is so with that I use my own calories burned versus there's. I'd suggest you go by the machine and all else should be well.

When I use a food from the database for the first time, I double check it against the label.
  • califigureeight
    Options
    Also consider that on the machine you may slow down, speed up stop, etc. That'll change your numbers. I hope that helps.
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    MFP over estimates burns.... before i got my HRM...i would enter a middle number from what i got on the machine vs what MFP gave. once i got my HRM it was more closer to what the machines estimate was.... once you do get an HRM that is compatible with the machines you are using "your" heart rate will show up on the display...
  • daneslord
    daneslord Posts: 31
    Options
    See, for me the MFP estimates are massively under, and the machines (I've used like 6 different models and they all say the same thing for me once I enter my info) tell I'm burning much more. Probably because I go full bore when I hit the elliptical. So go with the machine. If you want your workout to matter more, just go harder. Pump up that German Techno, and get at it!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of factors that will affect your calorie burn, so I always knock off around 20% of whatever the machines/ mfp say. For example, my friend at the gym weighs around 100kgs, and I weigh 52kgs, so surely he is burning a lot more than I am on the machines.
    I ended up ordering a hrm just to see the difference, should get it this weekend. A lot of people also recommend removing some of the calories anyway, as you would have burnt some 'at rest.' I always try to overestimate my food intake and underestimate calorie burn.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    When I use my HRM I tend to burn a bit more than what MFP says, but it has actually been surprisingly close for most things. The really discouraging thing was that the machines at the gym told me I burn a lot more than I actually do! On Saturday I did 45 minutes of arc trainer and the machine said I burned 600 according to my weight and I really only burned 450 something according to my HRM.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    to be honest if you exersice and are under calorie goal it does not really matter as you will loose right!
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    to be honest if you exersice and are under calorie goal it does not really matter as you will loose right!

That's very true , as long as you dont eat back your exercise cals, if you think you've burnt say , 500 cals, then scoff em right back up again, it'll put you over.. You need to know accurately what you've burned.
  • PrincessSparkle5253
    Options
    Wow. thank you everyone! Y'all are awesome, I'm so glad i joined MFP! I am going to go off of what the machines say (since they know my heart rate/weight/age) and then round it down to the nearest 50 or 100. Besides, I'm always under my calorie goal so regardless, i should loose some weight :)

Cheers!