Anyone around 5'8 with goal weight loss about 25-30 lbs succeeded?

Options
maaadde
maaadde Posts: 90 Member
That's a long title haha. But bottom line is I'm 5'8 and not overweight but just below the mark (bmi about 24.4) and I want to lose about 28 pounds (158-130) and get fit. While I am absolutely amazed at everyone managing to lose hundreds of pounds I would love to see some before and after pics of people in situations similar to mine, just to be able to relate. So - anyone out there with somewhat similar stats who has succeeded and wants to share? :)

Replies

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    whoa. outstanding! :)
  • pinky966
    pinky966 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 with a starting weight of 154lb. I'm currently 143.8 and on my way down :). I don't have pics for ya though. I will say that I feel so much better in my skin already, and I love that all my old clothes are fitting better. I've even purchased smaller jeans. My first goal is 135lb and we will see after that. Goodluck!!!
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"10 and had a starting weight of 175 (not over weight but borderline), I'm now at 155 and feeling so much better. No pics to show you but I definitely look different, my clothes fit better and I have less jiggle! That said, it took 20lbs before anyone noticed...the curse of being tall. Best of luck.
  • maaadde
    Options
    That's awesome for both of you! Any specific methods or just a general deficit?
  • pinky966
    Options
    Just general deficit for me amd when I want extra food or treats, I'll do some cardio lol. I'm wanting to do a bit of lifting now to add some shapely muscle. Only 6lbs until I hit goal!!!
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post a link to an older post but I started one in the past that has lots of before and afters for your height. The title is something like "women 5'8 - 5'9" Hope that helps.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    General deficit for me too, no diet foods, just ordinary food but less of it. I allocated enough calories per day to have a daily piece of chocolate too. I also run three times a week and do kettlebells three times a week. Going down in weight even further now, at 132lbs, slow and steady. I'm not on so much of a deficit now though as I surpassed my goal.
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Following this thread. I'm in a similar situation- height: 5'10" SW: 170, CW: 160, GW: 145
    I have been stuck at 160 for a LONG time and can't seem to get below and maintain it, I always go back up to the 160 mark. I really really really want to lose 15 more pounds. Would any one share what your daily cal intake is that you have been following in order to lose 1/2-1lb a week?
  • majess1022
    majess1022 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5' 7", with a starting weight of 158, and a current weight of 142. I'm targeting a goal weight of 135. I have no progress pictures yet though!

Like one of the prior posters noted, it took until recently for anyone to notice (right around when I had lost about 10% of my starting weight). Clothes are definitely fitting better now!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Following this thread. I'm in a similar situation- height: 5'10" SW: 170, CW: 160, GW: 145
    I have been stuck at 160 for a LONG time and can't seem to get below and maintain it, I always go back up to the 160 mark. I really really really want to lose 15 more pounds. Would any one share what your daily cal intake is that you have been following in order to lose 1/2-1lb a week?

I'll probably be shot down in flames for this but when I started I was on 1200 calories a day. I know most people will say that's not enough for my height, but as I am sedentary other than the exercise I do, I had to be that low just to lose about 0.75 pounds a week. I was also that low as I didn't weigh my food, so although my diary said 1200, in reality it was likely a bit more. Once I got to my goal of 135lbs I upped the calories to 1400. I'm now losing maybe a pound every three weeks or so.
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I'll probably be shot down in flames for this but when I started I was on 1200 calories a day. I know most people will say that's not enough for my height, but as I am sedentary other than the exercise I do, I had to be that low just to lose about 0.75 pounds a week. I was also that low as I didn't weigh my food, so although my diary said 1200, in reality it was likely a bit more. Once I got to my goal of 135lbs I upped the calories to 1400. I'm now losing maybe a pound every three weeks or so.

Ha I replied to you on another thread too! Thanks for your response. I tried 1200 for awhile but I just couldn't hang, I was starving and I always ended up going over anyway so that is when I realized I needed something a little higher, hence the 1400/day. Which I honestly find hard to stick to (what is wrong with me?)
  • maaadde
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't been on my computer for almost a week and I was in a bit of a rush last time I checked in. First of all I have to say those pictures are so amazing and inspiring, thank you for sharing!!

How much of a deficit seems reasonable to you? I try to stick to about 1400 calories a day now, unfortunately I decided to give myself one day a week completely off but since I have used those days for drinking, and when I'm drunk I always, always want candy, I think they've pretty balanced out my deficit for the other days. So I decided to stop that for a while, and maybe let myself have a day of 1800 or so a week and stay at 1400 for the others. Do you think that's too high as an average? I work out about 2-4 times a week. Should I eat any exercise calories back?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Ha I replied to you on another thread too! Thanks for your response. I tried 1200 for awhile but I just couldn't hang, I was starving and I always ended up going over anyway so that is when I realized I needed something a little higher, hence the 1400/day. Which I honestly find hard to stick to (what is wrong with me?)

Because you are tall and need more calories.
  • pinkhippie
    pinkhippie Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Im 5'8.5" and I started around 200 pounds after my baby was born a few years ago. I got down to the mid 160's and without calorie restriction would bounce around between 167- 177. In late August at 177 lbs I went back to calorie restriction and now I am 163. I have been steadily going from 162-163 back to 162 for the past week after losing steadily on a deficit of 1200 per day. I have recently started feeling hungry, like really hungry so I am eating more like 1400 now and I feel much better. It's TOM this week so I don't know what the scale will say about that increase in calories. I have an active job and I do random bursts of exercise every now and then. weight lifting, running in place, yoga, etc..

My BMI right now is 24.4 :)

I would love to get down to 135 or actually 139, I just don't know if its possible/ sustainable for me. But Im going to try. I think the key for me is to accept slower weight loss and not feel deprived/ painfully hungry so I can keep eating at a deficit.
  • pinky966
    Options
    For a .5lb loss per week, I can 1510. 1260 if I want to lose 1lb per week. I'm a little over 5'8". Now that I'm close to goal, I find it easier to go with 1510, cause it feels less restrictive.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I aim for around 1400-1500/day. I'm pretty sedentary (sat at a desk for most of the day and running around after 2 kids at either end of the day), don't exercise and that seems to work for me. MFP gave me 1200 initially but I just couldn't hack it.
    I eat low-ish carb/high-ish fat - I can't be trusted around sweets, chocolate, pastry or any sugary foods and this way of eating keeps me feeling fuller for longer.
  • maaadde
    Options
    pinkhippie wrote: »
    Im 5'8.5" and I started around 200 pounds after my baby was born a few years ago. I got down to the mid 160's and without calorie restriction would bounce around between 167- 177. In late August at 177 lbs I went back to calorie restriction and now I am 163. I have been steadily going from 162-163 back to 162 for the past week after losing steadily on a deficit of 1200 per day. I have recently started feeling hungry, like really hungry so I am eating more like 1400 now and I feel much better. It's TOM this week so I don't know what the scale will say about that increase in calories. I have an active job and I do random bursts of exercise every now and then. weight lifting, running in place, yoga, etc..

My BMI right now is 24.4 :)

I would love to get down to 135 or actually 139, I just don't know if its possible/ sustainable for me. But Im going to try. I think the key for me is to accept slower weight loss and not feel deprived/ painfully hungry so I can keep eating at a deficit.

That's amazing, and I'm sure you'll get down to your goal weight eventually! Like you said it's probably more sustainable with a slower loss and not feel deprived, but on the other hand, not actually being overweight there's not real reason to lose it all very quick. I do however understand that it sucks to accept that, I'm struggling with that part a bit too. But as people have told me, a fast weight loss when you're not overweight usually results in losing muscle instead of fat, and that's not what we want, right?! :wink:
  • maaadde
    Options
    LEAS86 wrote: »
    I aim for around 1400-1500/day. I'm pretty sedentary (sat at a desk for most of the day and running around after 2 kids at either end of the day), don't exercise and that seems to work for me. MFP gave me 1200 initially but I just couldn't hack it.
    I eat low-ish carb/high-ish fat - I can't be trusted around sweets, chocolate, pastry or any sugary foods and this way of eating keeps me feeling fuller for longer.

Okay this gives me hope that my current plan (that I switched to the day before yesterday) could work. Some people on here suggested I bump up my calories to what mfp gives me if I wanna lose .5 lbs a week (about 1600), and eat back some of my exercise calories. Haha, sugary foods are the worst/best depending on how you look at it. Any type of candy and my diet is out the window lol. Just kidding but I always feel that way even if I try to stay strong :lol:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 160 at goal and I lost 50lbs to get here

Calories
    And weights
    My BMI is 24 but my BF is quite low so I've got the body shape I want
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!