Gave into urges

Options
I've been trying to lose weight and found it rather easy adjusting to eating differently. However yesterday something came over me and i ate very badly, in general alot more than i should too.

Now i feel guilty for it but im simply looking forward to today with a fresh start forgetting what happened and going back to what i know is right. But I'd like some advice for the future, anyone else ever done that before? If so any way you have experienced that helps eliminate that sense of urge

Replies

• BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Time.
    Patience.

I still have urges and cravings from time to time. But you learn to have it fit into your calories. Or you learn to substitute for a healthier version. Over time you may have less cravings, but don't be surprised if you still get them. Have patience in the fact you may fail every once in a while, but then you get over it and move on. Just my thoughts.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes, time and patience and practice. Eventually, you replace the bad habits with the good habits. I've been at it for 5+ years (maintaining/losing) and I still have urges here and there. For example, last night I wanted a decadent brownie but I had a banana instead :smile:
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight and found it rather easy adjusting to eating differently. However yesterday something came over me and i ate very badly, in general alot more than i should too.

Now i feel guilty for it but im simply looking forward to today with a fresh start forgetting what happened and going back to what i know is right. But I'd like some advice for the future, anyone else ever done that before? If so any way you have experienced that helps eliminate that sense of urge

I had a bad weekend and I gave into the urges. I went way over my calories. By a LOT!!! I felt some guilt. Then, I decided to move on and eat well to mitigate the damage. There's really nothing else you can do. Fortunately, I don't get urges often. But the unfortunate thing is that when I do, I give in and the amount that I eat doesn't fit into my calorie goal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP, Use this as a learning experience. Log everything honestly and accurately, and try to determine if some event or action or something worked to trigger your over-eating.

I started this journey in January. I experienced an over-eating binge on what seemed to be a monthly basis for 4 months until I realized that each of my binge days was on a day in which I had chosen to have a small breakfast. After I started making sure to have a good breakfast every day, especially on weekends when I expected to have a restaurant meal, I was able to escape the monthly binge cycle.
  • jonnakay
    jonnakay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I overeat, then I end up with horrible reflux. Really bad, to the point where I cannot sleep at night. Eating 1200 cals a day certainly keeps reflux at bay. I just have to be so careful all the time or I get sick with reflux. I think this journey has been easier for me because of the consequence.
  • freakonaleash1995
    Options
    I have the same problem, mostly on the weekends. I'm hoping more time and using some extra will power helps.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    skye598 wrote: »
    I have the same problem, mostly on the weekends. I'm hoping more time and using some extra will power helps.

I have had a great deal of success with eating lower calories during the week and higher on weekends. During the week, I'm happy on 1200-1300, and on weekends I eat 2000ish. It means I generally don't have to say no to the weekend yummies and still lose steadily.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I track everything. When a day like you had yesterday happens, I look over my logs to see if there is something amiss. Was I too low on my micros and macros? Was I too low on my calorie intake? Have I been trying to change my diet so dramatically that my tastebuds were seeking revenge? Personally, the biggest one was too low calorie counts in the days/weeks leading up to it. The best thing I ever did was increase my daily calories and allow myself a daily treat (usually ice cream, but occasionally a beer or wine). I had fewer days of going way over, and much less of the "mad at myself for screwing up" thought response.
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Best way to curve the cravings is to eat more protein it keeps your blood sugar level because when you eat too many carbs it's spikes your blood sugar and that is what causes the cravings...
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,154 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Honestly, I plan to eat less structured on weekends because of various social engagements - eating out, going to football games, visiting people, etc. Sometimes I try to prepare, but other times I don't have the cushion, but do it anyway. I do log everything to know the full extent of the 'damage'.

Listen, one 'bad' day won't have a huge impact on the overall journey or goal, if you are able to keep it to one day. Well, unless you ate over 3500 + 500 = 4000 calories that day, which would mean that if you were planning to lose a pound that week, you might put one on...but even a pound isn't that bad, all things considered. It just slowed down your loss process, it didn't stop it if you get back on track.

1. Remember you are already eating at a deficit, so even if you ate up to maintenance, you only slowed yourself down that day, but you shouldn't gain.
    2. If you went super crazy and ate over maintenance you didn't eat enough for a pound gain unless you ate around 3500 more calories.
    3. Even if you ate enough to gain a pound, as soon as you get yourself back on track, you will be losing again...maybe a stall on your journey, but not a wall, so push through.

Frankly, I think we all need to give ourselves a measure of grace through this process, and stop feeling guilty for what we deem as slip ups. It needs to be sustainable long term not dreadful and restrictive. We all have days where we get off track...it's only bad if you stay off track.

BTW, consider yourself blessed you aren't female else you would for sure have to deal with it monthly like clock work (and sometimes not for just one day depending on how bad the hormones hit).

So all things considered, I think you'll be okay, and don't worry too much about it. Some good advice though to track it and if it happens again, see if there is a pattern that needs to changed. But if it is one day, just drive on and don't sweat it.